1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

HGH testing...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Sep 17, 2014.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
  2. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    In the interests of player safety and reducing the long-term health consequences of playing football at its most competitive level, this was long overdue.

Nice to see the NFL and NFLPA get together on this. It's been a rough couple of weeks for the League...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Watch multiple Seahawk players get nailed for this.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    I dunno about that. What I do know is that players who play clean have been at a competitive disadvantage and I find that offensive.

I would not be surprised if usage of HGH is on par with peak usage of steroids in baseball...40% or more of players on the juice. If the NFL and the union play it straight and don't water it down, I expect we'll see a fair number of players shrinking right out of their position group (see Mike Neal who was suspended for PEDs as an example).

The problem is we don't which players are "country strong" and which ones are pharmaceutical creations.

5. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +632
    Clay Matthews has always been rumored to cheat in this way but
    The guys who are 240 plus and running 4.3-4.4 40s might be a safe bet as pharmaceutical freaks.

Edit: Incomplete thought on Clay Matthews and a brain fart. See response to GoPGo.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    I'd rather not know who's using, tbh. More players are going to get nabbed than we like to think, and I promise our Packers aren't the golden children of the NFL with everybody clean. Heck, I can think of a few Packers just off the top of my head I worry about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    I think that might be tranquillizers actually Nate ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
  9. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Such as...?

10. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Neal has already shrunk - hey if he's a heavy HGH user, maybe he'll be the new SS?

After a brief search it looks to me like the longest HGH stays in the system is a couple of days - anyone have better information?

11. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +632
    I've always been skeptical of Clay being a user of HGH, the growth from his Junior year of high school to his 5th year of college is often taken out of context and completely fails to account for the natural boost of testosterone that all young men receive with physical maturation. I intended to say that Clay is an impressive overall athlete with certain characteristics that make him an effective pass rusher but that he never had the eye popping attributes that some guys have. Case in point players like Bobbie Wagner, Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis, guys who are 240 pounds or more yet who are faster than most receivers.

12. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Rumor came mostly from Peter King. That idiot reported that Clay went from 165 lbs as a freshman to 230 lbs as a sophomore. What he screwed up is that Clay was 220 lbs as a college freshman. He weighed the 165 as a HS freshman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +632
    I thought it was 165 before his junior year and then that he was 208 by the time of fall camp his freshman season. Putting on 20 pounds of good weight is not out of the ordinary for young men in their teens.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    testing is always and has always been 1 step behind the people who use performance enhancers

15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    I was going from memory, you are probably right. The point is the same and King did not get the weight gain was from high school and not his college freshman weight. I see you beat me to it on the near simultaneous and similar posts above. Great minds . . .

16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    Tell that to MLB players. The drop off in power numbers, and offense in general, since the crackdown is pretty obvious.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    I see where it could be as little as one day. Adderal clears the system in about 2 days.

If the testing is truly random and unscheduled, then continuing to use is a roll of the dice and will have a chilling affect on usage.

Of course, none of this applies to high schools or the NCAA, so now it will be difficult to know exactly what you're buying in the draft.

18. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Naw, I only know the stats for THC

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night: seems like a crackdown on performance enhancers that boost size and speed will improve safety in a sport where players collide regularly.

I too would not at all be surprised by the kind of widespread HGH usage you describe but this had to happen for the League to legitimately claim they care about player safety.

Tangentially, I could care less about PEDs in baseball for two reasons: (1) super athletes in baseball don't present the same kind of safety issues that they do in a sport like football and (2) I could care less about the history of the sport and the hallowed statistics that old-timey fans cherish. Baseball is dying and the Sosa v. McGuire season long home run derby gave the sport some juice a few years back (excuse the pun).

20. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +632
    Not sure if anyone wants to acknowledge thinking like me. Anyways I put on 20 pounds of good weight back in college within one year of dedicating myself to a workout regimen and eating better, and that only involved about 3-5 hours of lifting a week. For a high school kid with an ex NFL Dad that should be child's play.

21. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +632
    Well look at the bright side folks, we know AJ Hawk isn't using.

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I see your baseball and raise you cycling and Olympics

23. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477

He denied it back then.. Dont know if I believe him, but he did give HIS explanation on how it happened

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2012/3/28/2909200/mike-neal-says-he-didnt-take-peds

24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    I always had a "feeling" Favre was on something

25. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Then why on earth would he be pushing for HGH testing himself? I call nonsense.