hey DePack, Favre no-showed!lol..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, all these players are used to being able to get away with this crap. From Favre to Carroll...sad state of affairs.

Favre a no-show for Monday's Packers workout
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Brett Favre was an unexpected no-show for the Green Bay Packers' voluntary workout Monday morning.

But it wasn't immediately clear whether Favre's absence was a big deal -- or simply a case of coaches not wanting to overwork their star quarterback so early in the offseason.

Favre was present for last week's voluntary workouts, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week that he expected Favre to attend this week's sessions as well.

McCarthy said through a team spokesman that he would address Favre's absence during his regularly scheduled interview session on Tuesday. He has said several times that he wants to limit Favre's "pitch count" during workouts so the quarterback doesn't get worn out.

Favre is scheduled to speak to the media on Thursday and will host his annual charity softball tournament on Sunday.

Wide receiver Donald Driver recently said that getting the chance to work with Favre on chemistry and timing was a primary reason he was adamant about attending the voluntary workouts.

But Driver said Monday that he wasn't disappointed Favre wasn't on the field.

"Not at all," Driver said. "We came in, we knew we had a job to do regardless of the situation. We hope that everyone's here, but guys have time to take off. Guys had other plans and you have to respect that. Guys have their own thing going on right now."

Driver said working with the team's other quarterbacks on Monday was worthwhile.

"We still have great quarterbacks out there throwing the ball, so we can't just say we're not practicing because Brett's not practicing," Driver said. "There's going to be days where he doesn't practice and a lot of other guys don't practice. We still have to practice to win our games, regardless of the situation."

Favre wasn't the only notable absence on Monday. The Packers were again without both of their projected starting cornerbacks, Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Other notable absences included cornerback Ahmad Carroll, fullback William Henderson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

Updated on Monday, Jun 5, 2006 5:4
----------------------------------------------

I'm just sayin....I'd love 100% participation, but no coach(not Tuna, nobody) is going to say "get your *** here, Favre, or you're gone" or he can expect to be out of a job. Same thing with Woodson. Not only is he a vet, he's a veteran with an attitude.

Granted, a lot of this is TT's fault for getting some of these guys, and MM for not laying down the law(how much law can you lay for voluntary camps?), but this seed was planted a long time ago by Sherman, and it has sprouted into a redwood of unprofessionalism.

With that said...it's June OTAs. there are a LOT of them, so lets not get too carried away with blame(me on Sherman included).

Hopefully training camp next month is a lot better.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and this makes McCarthy look like **** (which might be his own fault) cuz friday he said favre would be here....

I mean...what kinda **** is this?

Either Favre is being really *******

or McCarthy doesnt know whats going on..

either way...something is wrong here and needs to be fixed.

HOWEVER....Im sure McCarthy will issue a "A personal issue came up for Brett and he couldn't be here as planned....blah blah blah blah."

Why cant my team just work hard, be organized, and win! WWAHHHHH!!
---------------------

me and a friend talking about the packers:

Tromadz: favre no showed camp today
Tromadz: even though mccarthy said friday...that favre would be here
Tromadz: so mccarthy looks like a ********
Tromadz: egg all over his face
Tromadz: egg and ***
Tromadz: favres ***

I think that summed it up well. I DO hope favre and his family are ok and everything though and that his absence is legit. Favre was showing unprecedented leadership by coming to voluntary camps and stuff, and it was great..but now...after he was scheduled to be there..hes not? Wahhhh!!! :(

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Carroll missed again too...(others missed, harris,woodson,etc, but they weren't "scheduled" to be there like favre and carroll....favre gets a pass of course, but its just not a good sign)

damn you, carroll!

I feel like a person who is watching their house burn down, and leaning over to his crying wife going "this isn't a big deal, hon, relax."

Id like to be calm cuz i know its just OTAs...but...yikes...a lot of folks missing, even 'scheduled ones' ...and '******' ones.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are reading into this too much. They are low impact optional team activities. It isn't that necessary for veterans to be there. They should know enough by now that it isn't make or break for them. Rookies and players on the edge of being on or off the team looking to make an impression should be there, but there will be training camp and the vets can get the new system and get familiarized there.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya. Which is why I dont get as mad when a Woodson\Favre miss, as I would when a CARROLL or ROMAN miss.

This is somewhat different because Favre was SUPPOSED to be there. McCarthy said it Friday, now he looks like a tool.

Favre missing OTAs isnt a big deal, except when the new head coach who is trying to put his stamp on this team says favre will be there, and then ...he isnt.

kinda worries me.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I read Favre would be in town for at least another week because of his softball outing but that his reps would be limited. Maybe this was part of MM's plan. I don't really remember the number of players that attended the OTA's the last couple years but I will take your word for it, that attendance was bad under Sherman. I don't think that should have anything to do with this year. MM is "the new sherriff in town" and he and TT are responsible to convince these guys to come in. Saying that, I'm not willing to blame them either because I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Is there anyway to determine how the attendance is around the rest of the league?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"We have a starting rotation and that's how it is," Lovie Smith said. "In order to be at the top of the starting rotation, you have to be here. So that's how it is." - Chicago Bears HC on demoting Briggs and Jones...

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup, i live in chicago and know all about that...and dont think that stuff didnt cross my mind. but MM demoting Favre&company....suicide.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yup, i live in chicago and know all about that...and dont think that stuff didnt cross my mind. but MM demoting Favre&company....suicide.

I'd do it. It's the Green Bay Packers, not the Green Bay Brett Favre & Company.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...first, lets rest this MS is to blame argument...I don't hear anyone here blaming the raiders and rams for Prickett and Woodson not showing up! This is MMs team, he can do what he wants, MS is gone, don't blame this on MS.

I like Lovie's approach...yes, these are voluntary, but the penciled in starters at the beginning of training camp are based on performance at OTAs...I imagine a lot of vets still wouldn't give a crap since they figured they'd just work their way into the starting spot after the first TC practice, but still, it adds some incentive.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lovie's approach seems stupid to me. It most likely won't carry any weight. If Jones and Briggs aren't starting the first regular season game, then the best players aren't on the field and the team is hurt by it. It is a symbolic move that means nothing if Briggs and Jones come in whenever they want to and get the starting position anyway. Either way it means nothing.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im gonna try and calm down...and let this go...until july training camp...

but i dont like how its going so far.

and mccarthy is either covering for his idiot players(excusing them, personal reasons,etc) or he is covering his own *** so it doesnt look like #4 just blatantly spit gatorade in his face.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What else can he do? They are OPTIONAL. In the big scheme of things they mean very little. I would rather have a player miss all optional things than have the player miss any training camp or required things.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if im a new coach, and im in there 'trying' to do all the right things, set up camps, get a good roster going, get guys working hard...

and then i say our starting qb will be at practice monday...

and the starting qb doesnt show up at practice monday...

what is up with that? Is it a message? Is favres family ok? IS it not a message at all, but favre just not caring? what is it?

If Favre ****** on McCarthy...you better believe all the little dogs will **** on him too.

If someone is scheduled to be there, he better be there. If Favre wasnt scheduled to be there today...and wasnt...no big deal.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is the only one that is "scheduled" to be there anytime. Would you rather he not be scheduled to be there at all and show up whenever he felt like it or not at all? The ones he is "scheduled" to be at are more likely than not ones that he said he would go to. Perhaps something came up and he didn't make it, or perhaps MM told him that he wasn't really needed. He does want to limit Favre's reps. It is not important that Favre goes to these. When he doesn't go it gives the young unknown quarterbacks more reps which is a good thing.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked it when it was stated he would be at 11 of the 14 OTAs, and there were no specifics given. That was fine with me. But the new regime seems to want participation, and ORDER, and ORGANIZATION, and the current players...dont seem to give a ****...and that worries me bigtime.(as you can tell by me freaking out maN!)

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't transfer over to required activities and training camp, that is the sort of thing that happens. Some players don't think that they personally would benefit any extra from going to them, and I can understand why. It raises the chances for injury and there isn't that much of an upside.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you guys are in for more trouble than you realize. New coaches especially want people to come and practice. "voluntary" workouts for new coaches are BS. It is a way to see who really wants to be there and work hard. Very few of the people who miss have a real reason for it. Two people didn't show up at the lion's OTA's and minicamps without explanation. Joey Harrington and Dan Wilkinson. They are no longer with the team. The other players that missed a day or two had already made arrangements with Marinelli. Brett Favre showing us once again that he is more important than the team.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I think you guys are in for more trouble than you realize. New coaches especially want people to come and practice. "voluntary" workouts for new coaches are BS. It is a way to see who really wants to be there and work hard. Very few of the people who miss have a real reason for it. Two people didn't show up at the lion's OTA's and minicamps without explanation. Joey Harrington and Dan Wilkinson. They are no longer with the team. The other players that missed a day or two had already made arrangements with Marinelli. Brett Favre showing us once again that he is more important than the team.

Give me a break man. I suppose all the other guys are being "bigger than the team" as well. What a bogus statement.

It's about setting an example genius. I am glad everyone is in Lions camp, unfortunately for you your pathetic franchise is destined for failure thanks to Matt Millen.

Wait til week 6-7 and you fans will be sporting Bills or Jets jerseys again. So embarassing!!!!

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Lovie's approach seems stupid to me. It most likely won't carry any weight. If Jones and Briggs aren't starting the first regular season game, then the best players aren't on the field and the team is hurt by it. It is a symbolic move that means nothing if Briggs and Jones come in whenever they want to and get the starting position anyway. Either way it means nothing.

It's a good thing your not an NFL coach. :wink:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom at home reacting...:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Get a grip man.............:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
big3 said:
Brett Favre showing us once again that he is more important than the team.

A team source said Favre was “believed to be in the buildingâ€

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
geez trom - tell me this isn't how you are during the season?!?!? i'm chalking it up to the sheer boredom of the off-season that your ******* are in a bunch & i'll let it go at that - hope you do too. relax, take a couple tranquilizers, & DON'T call me in the morning!!! :p :wink:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems Favre was working out at Lambeau and excused by MM from the on field practice. Someone overreacted again.......because it was Brett Favre!

Latest posts