1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hester cut

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Eli Haugen, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I know we are set. And he is coming off a toe thing that he re injured... But it would piss off the bears...... Worth it? lol
    But seriously. Until the injury, he was still electric... 33 or 34 years old.

?

2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    6 years ago maybe, but then we didn't have room for him then either

3. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Its hard to discredit a hall of famer because of a toe injury...

With the history of packers bears rivalry. And gb being their dream killer all those years. It could spark something in him... Give us a desmond howard type of boost...?

To me. The only question is the toe. How bad is it?

4. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    Nah

• Like Like x 1
  5. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506
    Who needs him? Isn't that what we have Jeff Janis for.

6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    He never had it at WR, and lost the "it" on returns

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Not a chance. We already have 7 WRs who may be good enough to make a roster. There's no reason to bring a guy in who would only do returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    And cut who? for an aged, injured, never good receiver that WAS a good returner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Arthur Squires

Arthur Squires Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    No chance. As it is they already have to cut a talented receiver in Abby who has some return skills. Hester is done. Hes not even half what he used to be.

10. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Oh come on. In 2014 he mirrored what he had done in Chicago, while in Atlanta. Remember? They had teams scared to kick to him. The one game i remember, Maybe playoff game? He got a return because the kicker didnt keep it away from him, and he took it all the way home... In impressive form.... He was every bit as good as he was back in the day with Chicago. When teams were afraid to kick to him...

Since then he got a bad case of turf toe or something. It required surgery. And his rehab hasnt gone fast...

Now I agree that we have some players with good potential at being return guys... But ummm do we even have a starter? It seems we have a bunch of ok return guys. id like to see more of Janis returning kicks. But I dont want him to get hurt... Same with Cobb, Sheilds, Hyde, Randall. Abbey could be valuable there. And the rookie 5th rounder who is quick, and apparently hasnt earned a name with me yet:) He might be the guy we have been looking for???

All that aside. I would find room for a healthy cheap Hester. Even if he gets put on PUP and comes in for the playoff run. A healthy Hester could be a big + where we usually mark a -. I mean I read he is 33 or 34 this year... He has a few more kick returns left in him.

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,612
    Hester only had a single touchdown on returns over the last two season only averaging 4.3 yards on puntvreturns in 2015.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to even think about signing him.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I think the critical problem is referring to what an aging player did in 2014.

13. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    I can't even believe this is a serious proposal

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506
    You don't want Janis to get hurt? What is he on the team for then if not for his ST abilities. It makes no sense to keep him healthy for his WR contributions. Without opening that can of worms again if Janis proves to be a good return man that is where he should be used. I could see not wanting to use Cobb or Nelson as a return man but anyone after your top 2 guys if he is the best you use him. Heck I'm not even opposed to using your top guys if they have something special to offer in the return game.

As far as Hester goes. Not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +181
    I think the guy Trevor Davis is going to a big deal in the return game, not just that I think if he gets play time on offense i think hes going to to alot of damage.

16. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +517
    This year we have retained/attained several solid prospects for return competition.
    He Would've maybe stood an outside chance as a niche ST player several years ago, but that time is past and we clearly passed on him then so this is highly unlikely

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,612
    Davis will for sure get a chance to compete for both return jobs during the preseason and training camp. I think that Montgomery and Janis are the front runners to earn the nod though, especially as it's not a given Davis will even make the final roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517