Hester cut

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are set. And he is coming off a toe thing that he re injured... But it would **** off the bears...... Worth it? lol
But seriously. Until the injury, he was still electric... 33 or 34 years old.

?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 years ago maybe, but then we didn't have room for him then either

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its hard to discredit a hall of famer because of a toe injury...

With the history of packers bears rivalry. And gb being their dream killer all those years. It could spark something in him... Give us a desmond howard type of boost...?

To me. The only question is the toe. How bad is it?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its hard to discredit a hall of famer because of a toe injury...

With the history of packers bears rivalry. And gb being their dream killer all those years. It could spark something in him... Give us a desmond howard type of boost...?

To me. The only question is the toe. How bad is it?

Who needs him? Isn't that what we have Jeff Janis for.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance. We already have 7 WRs who may be good enough to make a roster. There's no reason to bring a guy in who would only do returns.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance. As it is they already have to cut a talented receiver in Abby who has some return skills. Hester is done. Hes not even half what he used to be.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And cut who? for an aged, injured, never good receiver that WAS a good returner.
Oh come on. In 2014 he mirrored what he had done in Chicago, while in Atlanta. Remember? They had teams scared to kick to him. The one game i remember, Maybe playoff game? He got a return because the kicker didnt keep it away from him, and he took it all the way home... In impressive form.... He was every bit as good as he was back in the day with Chicago. When teams were afraid to kick to him...

Since then he got a bad case of turf toe or something. It required surgery. And his rehab hasnt gone fast...

Now I agree that we have some players with good potential at being return guys... But ummm do we even have a starter? It seems we have a bunch of ok return guys. id like to see more of Janis returning kicks. But I dont want him to get hurt... Same with Cobb, Sheilds, Hyde, Randall. Abbey could be valuable there. And the rookie 5th rounder who is quick, and apparently hasnt earned a name with me yet:) He might be the guy we have been looking for???

All that aside. I would find room for a healthy cheap Hester. Even if he gets put on PUP and comes in for the playoff run. A healthy Hester could be a big + where we usually mark a -. I mean I read he is 33 or 34 this year... He has a few more kick returns left in him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hester only had a single touchdown on returns over the last two season only averaging 4.3 yards on puntvreturns in 2015.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to even think about signing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh come on. In 2014 he mirrored what he had done in Chicago, while in Atlanta. Remember? They had teams scared to kick to him. The one game i remember, Maybe playoff game? He got a return because the kicker didnt keep it away from him, and he took it all the way home... In impressive form.... He was every bit as good as he was back in the day with Chicago. When teams were afraid to kick to him...

Since then he got a bad case of turf toe or something. It required surgery. And his rehab hasnt gone fast...

Now I agree that we have some players with good potential at being return guys... But ummm do we even have a starter? It seems we have a bunch of ok return guys. id like to see more of Janis returning kicks. But I dont want him to get hurt... Same with Cobb, Sheilds, Hyde, Randall. Abbey could be valuable there. And the rookie 5th rounder who is quick, and apparently hasnt earned a name with me yet:) He might be the guy we have been looking for???

All that aside. I would find room for a healthy cheap Hester. Even if he gets put on PUP and comes in for the playoff run. A healthy Hester could be a big + where we usually mark a -. I mean I read he is 33 or 34 this year... He has a few more kick returns left in him.

You don't want Janis to get hurt? What is he on the team for then if not for his ST abilities. It makes no sense to keep him healthy for his WR contributions. Without opening that can of worms again if Janis proves to be a good return man that is where he should be used. I could see not wanting to use Cobb or Nelson as a return man but anyone after your top 2 guys if he is the best you use him. Heck I'm not even opposed to using your top guys if they have something special to offer in the return game.

As far as Hester goes. Not worth it.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy Trevor Davis is going to a big deal in the return game, not just that I think if he gets play time on offense i think hes going to to alot of damage.

Reaction score
This year we have retained/attained several solid prospects for return competition.
He Would've maybe stood an outside chance as a niche ST player several years ago, but that time is past and we clearly passed on him then so this is highly unlikely

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the guy Trevor Davis is going to a big deal in the return game, not just that I think if he gets play time on offense i think hes going to to alot of damage.

Davis will for sure get a chance to compete for both return jobs during the preseason and training camp. I think that Montgomery and Janis are the front runners to earn the nod though, especially as it's not a given Davis will even make the final roster.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone see how Hester looked against the Falcons team that released him earlier this year?

Im telling you. There is something to be said about allowing these old all-pro players to play easy all year and unleash the beast in the playoffs...

hester almost broke out two different times. COULD have gave us a desmond howard type of boost :). Instead seattle did it. Had his first big return not been called back, and the following play a safety leading to an Atlanta score... That game could have looked different...

Not saying it was a good idea back in July. LOL! But sometimes respecting the old all-pros pays dividends...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone see how Hester looked against the Falcons team that released him earlier this year?

Im telling you. There is something to be said about allowing these old all-pro players to play easy all year and unleash the beast in the playoffs...

hester almost broke out two different times. COULD have gave us a desmond howard type of boost :). Instead seattle did it. Had his first big return not been called back, and the following play a safety leading to an Atlanta score... That game could have looked different...

Not saying it was a good idea back in July. LOL! But sometimes respecting the old all-pros pays dividends...

Almost breaking out doesn't count as any significant impact.

Considering Seattle lost the game handidly, the move didn't pay them any dividends.

Saying he could have made a Howard like boost is a huge stretch.

Besides, who would we cut for a guy to play 3 games at most?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Considering Seattle lost the game handidly, the move didn't pay them any dividends.

Howard was my parallel back in july. lol

Nobody should have been cut to let hester rest on the inactives all year to get healthy... But that doesn't take away from Hesters performance tonight... He played great and had that first kickoff not been called back, resulting in a safety and Atlanta score... Say Seattle scores a TD the next play, like they did when hester broke his second long return... That's a 12 point swing... It could have changed the whole game

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trick question? I thought Don Barclay was the answer any time that was asked, although Janis might be there. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Hester looked great yesterday but I doubt he would have had the same success returning kicks for the Packers as the return team struggles blocking for the returner.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester looked great yesterday but I doubt he would have had the same success returning kicks for the Packers as the return team struggles blocking for the returner.
I cant believe it took you almost whole day to call me on my chiz?!?!
You are slippin Wimm! LOL

jkjk
I agree with you. This was a long shot a few months ago...

Be sure to check my Vince Wilfork post here soon. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts