Herron and Taylor impress at OTA's

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Team excited about Herron
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:08:29 -0700

Jason Wilde, of the Wisconsin State Journal, reports Green Bay Packers RB Noah Herron continues to impress at the team's OTA sessions and the team feels they now have another option at running back in addition to RBs Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport and Samkon Gado. "I'm really excited about him," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said Monday afternoon, June 19, after the 12th of the team's 14 OTAs, which wrap up Wednesday, June 21. "He's made the most improvement of any of them." Jagodzinski said Herron fits at both halfback and fullback. "He's a football player," Jagodzinski said. "I think I showed a little bit last year that I can carry the load," Herron said. "I know once Ahman comes back, he's the guy. The more things I can do, I'm willing to try."

Packers | Taylor leading the way at strongside linebacker, but there is a long way to go
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:02:15 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers LB Ben Taylor is lining up as the team's starting strongside linebacker, but there is a long way to go before the season starts. His main competitor at this time is LB Roy Manning. Manning knew the defense after starting two games at that position last year, yet Taylor surpassed him. Maybe Manning will beat out Taylor when the pads go on, or perhaps third-round draft pick LB Abdul Hodge will play so well in training camp that the Packers will move him from the backup at middle linebacker to compete for the strongside job. There is still a chance LB Brady Poppinga (knee) will join the fray as well.

Good news about Herron, with Tony Fisher gone and Green and Davenport still question marks, looks like this guy is going to be able to fill the void. Says he can also play Fullback so Leach may be in trouble.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor will be a solid addition. He gets no love on this forum as most people think he's just a one year stopgap. He is tough as nails and if he can stay healthy will be a big surprise to most Packer fans. I think he will be lining up at strongside this year. According to reports Manning looks really good as well. He could give us depth at that spot.

I am glad Herron is looking good, but I don't think it spells any trouble for Leach. Leach is the only other true FB on the roster. Green and Gado certainly will not be converted and Herron is to small. Davenport probably could play a little FB but if Henderson would go down he would be thrust into full-time duty.

I think Leach is a solid FB. He is young and is learning from one of the best. I don't think his roster spot is in jeopardy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree DePack...I think this year is an audition for Ben Taylor to latch on with someone (could be GB) and get a multi-year deal....funny how it seems like players tend to have big years with a one year deal or last year of a contract eh?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I agree DePack...I think this year is an audition for Ben Taylor to latch on with someone (could be GB) and get a multi-year deal....funny how it seems like players tend to have big years with a one year deal or last year of a contract eh?

Yea....it's a double edged sword. You want him to have an outstanding season, but if he does it will be more difficult to sign him. The one thing TT can do is sign him to an extension during the season if he is kicking ****. The problem with that though is that Taylor may want to wait being so close to free agency.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with Leach at all last year. Henderson, in spite of his age, still made some good plays, but I don't remember Leach doing anything. He was a downgrade from Luchey as the #2 fullback. So I wouldn't be surprised if Herron beats him out. As for Davenport, he's way too injury-prone to play fullback.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor was a nice signing. Look at it this way: he is a rent a player. He plays his *** off for the contract he will never receive from the Packers. In the meantime we groom Hodge, Manning and Poppinga. The best part about it is we got him cheap, which is exactly the kind of signing that the Patriots are famous for - a good but not great player that is solid and plays his role.

Members online

Latest posts