Here's a question

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm very high on what we have so far, but I had this thought.

Donald Driver is 34 now, and will be retiring soon. Jennings to me is a very solid #2 Receiver or a 1A...not a top notch receiver.

What does everyone think the chances are we trade up or draft if he's there...Golden Tate of Notre Dame?

I've watched him since he got to ND, and he's the real deal. A multiple threat in both the offensive and special teams aspects. I think he'd be a great addition to the team, and a good understudy for Driver for the next year or two.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm very high on what we have so far, but I had this thought.

Donald Driver is 34 now, and will be retiring soon. Jennings to me is a very solid #2 Receiver or a 1A...not a top notch receiver.

What does everyone think the chances are we trade up or draft if he's there...Golden Tate of Notre Dame?

I've watched him since he got to ND, and he's the real deal. A multiple threat in both the offensive and special teams aspects. I think he'd be a great addition to the team, and a good understudy for Driver for the next year or two.
I'm a ND fan, and absolutely love Golden Tate.

But Jennings is the real deal. Tate IMHO isn't a #1 Wr, he's not Michael Floyd.

To me, he's Harvin, but better.

However, considering that we have Jennings, Driver still playing well, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and don't forget Finley, all of them, except Driver, under 28, I think we're set for the future at WR position.

What we need is someone that can block for more than 3 seconds, so that they can run routes longer than a slant, and Rodgers can deliver the ball...

Also a pass rusher and secondary help, we also need.

So, considering the depth we have at WR, and the flaws on this team, I wouldn't move up to get a WR.

But if Tate falls to our 2nd pick, I think it'd be a GREAT pickup. Just wouldn't move up to get him...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with PackerRS here. Driver still has shown plenty of ability and doesn't really seem to be slowing down with age. And I think Jennings is FOR SURE a #1 receiver and a player who is getting better all the time, one of the bright young stars in the NFL if you ask me.

In addition we havn't really been able to see what James Jones could be as a #2, and therefore what Jordy Nelson can do as a #3. But both of these players seem to show up when called upon (Cardinals/Steelers games). Also we havn't really gotten a chance to see what Brett Swain can provide, but I do like him and his upside.

All in all it comes down to needs, and WR just isn't an important one, especially when compared to our other needs, O-Line in particular. It won't matter how good of a WR we have if our QB can't get him the ball cause he is on his back all the time.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to agree with RS, we have more pressing needs to take care of rather than move up to get a WR. However if Tate falls I wouldn't be surprised if we take him. The only issue I have is that there might not be room for him to contribute. Donald Driver may have to come out on certain snaps, Nelson and Jones would barely see the field which hurts their progress and trade value if we tried to trade either one later on, and we'd still be focusing more on the pass rather than trying to get a running game going.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to agree with RS, we have more pressing needs to take care of rather than move up to get a WR. However if Tate falls I wouldn't be surprised if we take him. The only issue I have is that there might not be room for him to contribute. Donald Driver may have to come out on certain snaps, Nelson and Jones would barely see the field which hurts their progress and trade value if we tried to trade either one later on, and we'd still be focusing more on the pass rather than trying to get a running game going.
We definitley have bigger needs but TT has done the unthinkable before. If we got Tate at 23, more than likely swain would be gone. I could not imagine a Defensive coach looking at Jennings, Driver, J. Jones, G. Tate, and J. Finely walking up to the line on the same play. LOL He would probably say a couple bad words....:suicide2:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitley have bigger needs but TT has done the unthinkable before. If we got Tate at 23, more than likely swain would be gone. I could not imagine a Defensive coach looking at Jennings, Driver, J. Jones, G. Tate, and J. Finely walking up to the line on the same play. LOL He would probably say a couple bad words....:suicide2:
Actually, he wouldn't. He would just tell 3 guys to rush the passer, and Rodgers would have less than 3 seconds to deliver the ball...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
NO emphatically NO. I like golden tate, but he is not as explosive as P.Harvin, and is not a jump ball deep threat WR. Not a posistion of NEED right now. TT has shown he can reach down to pick up solid WR's, If we are going to spend a #1 on a WR it has to be someone 6'3"+ with all the freakish athletic abilities that makes a WR a #1 pick. Jennings, Finley, and I believe Nelson over jones in the long run can be a strong combination. Finley might just be better than driver, or jennings in the coming years. O-line, Defensive Secondary, Front 7, RB all have higher roster NEED for the packers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it, so we draft Tate to take over for Driver. Then we let go of Driver next season but then we have an extra slot open for another WR so do we spend another high pick on a recievr to fill that spot? I don't like the idea od drafting slot recievers year after year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it, so we draft Tate to take over for Driver. Then we let go of Driver next season but then we have an extra slot open for another WR so do we spend another high pick on a recievr to fill that spot? I don't like the idea od drafting slot recievers year after year.
I don't even think we have any slot open for any WR to enter. I think our 4 WR set this year will be Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Finley, and the 5 WR set them plus JJ.

Driver can be as good as anybody in the league at the slot already. Nelson and JJ are very good at the slot.

Jennings is a monster. Finley the same.

They only need to get their act together. They left too many balls hit the ground last year, and I'm pretty sure it's a priority with them.

This may already be the best WR group in the NFL. IMHO, after Boldin left, they are, with the Chargers a very close 2nd...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even think we have any slot open for any WR to enter. I think our 4 WR set this year will be Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Finley, and the 5 WR set them plus JJ.

Driver can be as good as anybody in the league at the slot already. Nelson and JJ are very good at the slot.

Jennings is a monster. Finley the same.

They only need to get their act together. They left too many balls hit the ground last year, and I'm pretty sure it's a priority with them.

This may already be the best WR group in the NFL. IMHO, after Boldin left, they are, with the Chargers a very close 2nd...
Don't know why J Nelson seemed to take a step back last year, but if JJ and Nelson kick it up a notch it would be hard to contain our offense.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure which Donald Driver you were all watching last year but I had him on my FF team and he was a stud in the first half of the season and then the age caught up with him and he was a dud the second half. There is no way another year later now he will be good for the full season. I don't see anyone on the roster that can fill his shoes and we need the passing threat because with out it our running game is not that great. If teams start double teaming Jennings then the only strong threat we have is Finley, everyone else is just decent, not great.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
little chance ted drafts a high WR. He passed on Crabtree who he had rated as the best player in last years draft to draft a need. I would rather see TT draft a frickin kicker in the 1st than a WR thats how much we dont need a WR

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
little chance ted drafts a high WR. He passed on Crabtree who he had rated as the best player in last years draft to draft a need. I would rather see TT draft a frickin kicker in the 1st than a WR thats how much we dont need a WR
That's what I was thinking. Since he passed on Crabtree, who was one of the more highly touted WR prospects in history, he doesn't plan to take a WR any time soon.

Members online

Latest posts