Here is why we are better than the last 2 years..really!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. We are the 7th ranked rush defense in the league. And it is not just grady Jackson, who only plays around 30\70 snaps. The run scheme is excellent. The longest run by an RB was I think 7 (or maybe 9. not double digits). We held Kevin Jones to 87 yards, and Droughns to only 50. That is pretty awesome. I think we will frustrate Carnell Williams to no end this weekend.

2. We are 13th in 3rd down defense. Last year we were about 31st. This might not mean much to some of you, but holding a team to a field goal or punt is very important.

3. We are 2nd (SECOND) in 3rd down offense. That is just impressive.

By those 3 alone we should not be 0-2, but bad clock management,bad coaching(like..not running the ball over 16 times in a game), silly penalties, mental errors by a young defense, and just not being used to playing with the man next to you for more than 2 weeks HAS COSTED US 2 games!

Things I expect to see Sunday:

20 carries or more by Ahman Green.
Our first turnover
Carnell Williams under 100 yards rushing

I think if we can do those 3 things, and brett does what he does(a couple TDs and maybe an INT) we can win this game.

Our passing defense is not very good (253 per game) but I expect that to get better with more reps for Thomas and Hawkins. Every play out there these guys are learning something. Joey Thomas and Nick Collins learned a valuable lesson when they gave up that touchdown. Nobody is perfect. I'd rather have us go 0-2 and learn from mistakes than go 16-0 through luck and lose in the first playoff game due to a flaw they didnt know they had. The vikes are 0-2, and the lions and bears are tied for 1st place. This division will be very exciting, and the 3 stats i pointed out in the begining of this post all point to us rebounding and winning games. I think we can do it.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
1. We are the 7th ranked rush defense in the league. And it is not just grady Jackson, who only plays around 30\70 snaps. The run scheme is excellent. The longest run by an RB was I think 7 (or maybe 9. not double digits). We held Kevin Jones to 87 yards, and Droughns to only 50. That is pretty awesome. I think we will frustrate Carnell Williams to no end this weekend.

2. We are 13th in 3rd down defense. Last year we were about 31st. This might not mean much to some of you, but holding a team to a field goal or punt is very important.

By those 3 alone we should not be 0-2, but bad clock management,bad coaching(like..not running the ball over 16 times in a game), silly penalties, mental errors by a young defense, and just not being used to playing with the man next to you for more than 2 weeks HAS COSTED US 2 games!

Our passing defense is not very good (253 per game) but I expect that to get better with more reps for Thomas and Hawkins. Every play out there these guys are learning something. Joey Thomas and Nick Collins learned a valuable lesson when they gave up that touchdown. Nobody is perfect. I'd rather have us go 0-2 and learn from mistakes than go 16-0 through luck and lose in the first playoff game due to a flaw they didnt know they had. The vikes are 0-2, and the lions and bears are tied for 1st place. This division will be very exciting, and the 3 stats i pointed out in the begining of this post all point to us rebounding and winning games. I think we can do it.

you know why we're so good at run defense...teams see they can hit the tight end in stride and go 80 yards into the end zone, there's a reason to pass up the run

we're 2nd in 3rd down offense? i think you missed a 2

the longest run given up by our defense (9 or 7) eclipses our longest run offensively (did ahman break a five-yarder yet?)

not pictured: our red zone statistics...a muffed FG snap by 3rd round punter, a pick, and a touchdown once the game was finally out of reach

Mike Sherman is still our coach, there is no way the word "better" can be used, better signifies some sort of progression and i'm just not seeing it...

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
tromadz said:

you know why we're so good at run defense...teams see they can hit the tight end in stride and go 80 yards into the end zone, there's a reason to pass up the run

we're 2nd in 3rd down offense? i think you missed a 2

the longest run given up by our defense (9 or 7) eclipses our longest run offensively (did ahman break a five-yarder yet?)

not pictured: our red zone statistics...a muffed FG snap by 3rd round punter, a pick, and a touchdown once the game was finally out of reach

Mike Sherman is still our coach, there is no way the word "better" can be used, better signifies some sort of progression and i'm just not seeing it...

you think i missed a 2 when i talked about our 3rd down offense? I am sorry, but it appears you are retarded. we are tied for 2nd in 3rd down offense, blow me. red zone statistics you want? our red zone defense is tied for 1st. kiss my ***, mr. negativity

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
tromadz said:
you think i missed a 2 when i talked about our 3rd down offense? I am sorry, but it appears you are retarded.

just read the quote below...i think more agree with me than with you

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry javon here doesnt understand numbers. Not my fault. I think I figured out why they call it a "dope" sheet.

honestly, how can you argue the numbers. Whats next, the ol "2 plus 3 is not 5" debate? And javon, if you believe your signature, you really are ret...mentally handicapped.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Im sorry javon here doesnt understand numbers. Not my fault. I think I figured out why they call it a "dope" sheet.

honestly, how can you argue the numbers. Whats next, the ol "2 plus 3 is not 5" debate? And javon, if you believe your signature, you really are ret...mentally handicapped.

i understand numbers...

*0-2
*3 (points in detroit)
*62 (the number of yards a tight end ran against our defense for a touchdown)

i acknowledge the fact our defense has promise, we were'nt hurt by either opposing running back yet but those stats are meaningless if we cant A-hold them and B-put points on the board (c-win the turnover battle, d-sack the QB...minor reasons)...I'll beleve that there is an upside only after witnessing a win vs. the bucs sun., not after looking at some hollow numbers...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
tromadz said:

i understand numbers...

*0-2
*3 (points in detroit)
*62 (the number of yards a tight end ran against our defense for a touchdown)

i acknowledge the fact our defense has promise, we were'nt hurt by either opposing running back yet but those stats are meaningless if we cant A-hold them and B-put points on the board (c-win the turnover battle, d-sack the QB...minor reasons)...I'll beleve that there is an upside only after witnessing a win vs. the bucs sun., not after looking at some hollow numbers...

We put 24 points on the board... That, in most games are enough to win.

Carroll holds 'em just fine. OUR defensive line has played well so far. I'd say you may be taking it a bit hard.

Your turnover statement is RIGHT ON though.

Take it easy... We should be able to beat the Bucs.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Things I expect to see Sunday:

20 carries or more by Ahman Green.
Our first turnover
Carnell Williams under 100 yards rushing

I think if we can do those 3 things, and brett does what he does(a couple TDs and maybe an INT) we can win this game.

everything sounds good, i just wish for more pressure on the opposing qb from the front four!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We put 24 points on the board... That, in most games are enough to win.

OUR defensive line has played well so far. I'd say you may be taking it a bit hard.

Your turnover statement is RIGHT ON though.

Take it easy... We should be able to beat the Bucs.[/quote]

i agree 24 points should be enough to win a game in lambeau, but i'm not happy w/the pass rush from the front 4!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hollow numbers? You really are an ignorant fan, Javon. I know 0-2 is very important, but another number matters as well. 2, as in its only week 2. Yes the record is ugly, but some of the team numbers are very surprising and impressive. Fortunately (unless you ask Javon) there is enough time to rebound, especially when the team favored to win the division is also 0-2. So Javon, you can be a negative nancy, and I stress nancy, but I will look on the bright side.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see (so far) not much to be upbeat about...maybe because I'm not much into statistics because (1) they can change drastically quickly (2) they lie. My hope is built on the promising rookies/newbies on the team. I feel TT will continue to draft talent. But it will take more than one solid draft to overcome the bad drafts of the past few years. TT WILL get it done, though.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of these stats matter if we don't score more points than the other team. At the end of the day it won't matter where the defense is raked, how we do on 3rd downs, etc. What matters is if we have more points than the other team. Period.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh...

So if they score 7, we have to score 10, right?

If they score 31, we have to score more than 31 then.

Defense doesn't matter?

I would much rather have Favre and company only have to worry about getting 2 touchdowns than 4. Defensive rank doesn't matter? right...

I am getting a little tired of the maddenisms around here lately. "To win, you have to score more points than the other team. Period. Boom!"

Believe it or not, it is a little more complicated than that. If an offense is only capable of scoring 13.5 a game (thats our average right now. This is math by the way) then the defense has to hold the other team to under that. So don't say that the defensive numbers dont mean anything, because thats just foolish.

PS - I love you guys, but man...I think the Madden Flu is going around.

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's also look at the teams the packers played.... The Lions and Browns are not even picked to go to the playoff's ( the browns will be lucky to win 5 games). What are the Packers going to do when they face some good teams. Lets faces it. This is a rebuilding year ( I believe they have 13 first year players on their roster tops in the NFC). I look forward to watching the packers every week because we get to see this team grow and maybe improve. Don't get me wrong I want the packers to win but this team is not what it use to be.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant label it a rebuilding year till someone else is behind center. the offense is pretty much the same, minus 2 guards. the defense has kgb\jackson\kampman\jenkins\harris\roman\barnett\diggs from last year. there are more rooks on defense but with jim bates in charge there, it probably wont be as bad as it should.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Our passing defense is not very good (253 per game) I think we can do it.
And yet the Packers are giving up 21.5 points a game, are 0-2 and made a journyman QB look like Johnny Unitas. Yep. Sure looks like a stellar defense to me.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Sigh...

So if they score 7, we have to score 10, right?

If they score 31, we have to score more than 31 then.

You catch on quickly. ;)

tromadz said:
Defense doesn't matter?

I never said that.

tromadz said:
Defensive rank doesn't matter? right...

Good job. Higher ranked defenses are still always capable of giving up points and losing. As you've noticed, that's our situation. The defense cannot make up for the lack of offense. Period. Boom! ;)

Really, it does not matter one iota where a team is ranked - it matters who comes away with the most points at the end of the game. Rank is insignificant if you can't win. It's really that simple.

tromadz said:
I am getting a little tired of the maddenisms around here lately. "To win, you have to score more points than the other team. Period. Boom!"

Well, if that's reality then we ought to admit that. I don't have trouble with it.

tromadz said:
Believe it or not, it is a little more complicated than that. If an offense is only capable of scoring 13.5 a game (thats our average right now. This is math by the way) then the defense has to hold the other team to under that. So don't say that the defensive numbers dont mean anything, because thats just foolish.

Maybe our offense should just step up and help the D by keeping the opposing offense off the field.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
And yet the Packers are giving up 21.5 points a game, are 0-2 and made a journyman QB look like Johnny Unitas. Yep. Sure looks like a stellar defense to me.

Good point, man. This is exactly what I am trying to point out with my other 2 posts.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

Hey! Who asked your opinion?

We don't need that negative energy going into Sunday, you hear me, man? :x :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice try tromadz, but the Packers just lost to two of the worst teams in the league. Fishing out a bunch of irrelevant statistics does not make things any better.

It would be good to see the Packers run the ball more, but they won't be able to do that if they fall behind early again. Plus, the run game has been poor. Opposing teams are happy to let Ahman run because they know that he won't gain any more than 5-10 yards even on his best carries. If he can get some good blocking and break one or two carries for long yardage, things may start loosening up for the offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts