1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Here is another reason today is a dark day in WI.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, May 14, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Gas taxes are one thing.. but this is it... LOL... "Holy Water"... Only Wisconsin :rotflmao:

Madison - Two Democratic legislators today vowed to try again to raise the $2-per-barrel beer tax, which has been unchanged for 38 years, despite a warning they are taking on a "sacred Wisconsin beverage."

"I am not predicting it's going to pass," Democratic Rep. Terese Berceau of Madison said of her proposal to boost the $2 tax to $10 per barrel to fight drunking driving and treat alcohol addiction. I'm kind of fooling around with holy water here.""

Her beer-tax increase would raise the tax on a six-pack from 3.6-cents to 18-cents. Overall, it would cost beer drinkers between $40 million and $48 million more a year, she said.

The Assembly leader of her own party has panned her proposal, however.

Senate President Fred Risser (D-Madison) defended the increase, noting it essentially was indexing the beer tax for inflation since its last hike 38 tears ago. In 1969, Risser voted to raise the tax from $1 per barrel to $2, and he said none of the predictions then that it would devastate the state's economy came true.

Wisconsin's $2-per-barrel tax is third lowest in the nation, behind the 59-cent levy in Wyoming and the $1.86 tax in Missouri, home of Budweiser. Legisaltors said the highest beer tax in the nation is $33.17 per barrel in Alaska.

Michael Miller, a Madison-area physician who heads the American Society of Addiction Medicine, said Wisconsin's history, culture and politics has treated beer like a "sacred Wisconsin beverage." Raising the tax is needed and overdue, Miller said.

Miller commended Berceau and Risser for "walking directly into the mouth of the lion," comparing their effort to trying to raise the tax on wine in California or the tax on bourbon in Kentucky.

Other groups calling for the increase included Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the Mental Health Association of Wisconsin and the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

2. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What next....taxing our shits?

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Please......DON'T give them any ideas! I never met a tax a democrat didn't like. (Republicans arn't that much better, either)
    This state is TAX HELL. If they could, they would tax taxes.

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    It's WI, you can make beer 4 bucks a sip and people would drink the same amount. I hear of people selling 50 bucks worth of food stamps for a six pack.

Hitting people in the wallet is NOT a cure for drinking and driving. I don't understand why these people can't put their minds together and come up with something more logical and effective.

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheesey, I live in Minnesota...Minneapolis, specifically. You have no ******* idea how bad taxes are until you live here.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    First.........you have my SINCERE sympathy!!! :rotflmao:
    And our taxes are NUTS here too!!!
    I try not to think about it. My wife won't even LOOK at her checkstub to see what her gross wage was. If we actually got to KEEP what my wife makes, we could afford to buy our own home, and NOT have to rent. But they tax us to MAKE money, they tax us to SPEND money, and they tax us to SAVE money. How the heck can you make a decent living, when they have their hands in our pockets every day???

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's the SAME thing with the cigarette tax. They want to up that a dollar more per pack. Now......that MIGHT cause some to cut back on smoking. But here is what would REALLY happen. The government would get used to that "free" extra money coming in, and would spend it like drunken sailors.
    (Just like they do the REST of our tax money) Then, if people DID cut back or quit, do you think the government would slow down their spending to match it??? NOPE!!!! They would then hike our other taxes to make up for what they lost on the cigarette (or BEER) tax. I have YET to see a tax that was started ever get repealed. It's like herpes........once it's there, it's NOT going away.

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My tax dollars earned me the priveledge of having the ghetto, in the form of Section 8 housing, dropped 8' away from me in a previously quiet neighborhood. Amazing how a single house can shut down an entire block...you know, drug dealing, intimidation, loud/vulgar 40 oz. fiestas that culminate in violence, the Ghetto doorbell (honking of horns) at all hours..........and how completely complicit public housing authorities and the police are in allowing this shithole to continue to fester.

The housing authorities tout the "rights" of these check chasing parasites from Chicago, and the cops do not do **** because to address the issue would incur the wrath of minority leaders, and hence the mayor and city council, and they would find desk duty.

All is quiet now, but I am one bad week away from putting a "For Sale" sign up and getting out of the city proper.

2 years of living hell on my own dime.

I ******* hate this city's "leadership"

9. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    hahahaha thats stupid thank God i dont live WI

i would love to though

10. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to talk about tax hell, try living in Canada.

11. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, hey now TOP...don't even get me started on your commie-lite political system!! LOL

How the hll are things up north?

12. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Things are fine. Alleged global warming hasn't done anything to our weather though. It's been well below normal all spring so far.

13. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    LOL.... no half naked canadian women in bikini's running around yet carrying signs of the doomed planet HUH...

On a related note can we send you AL GORE?

14. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No half naked women at all (I wait all winter for the summer attire to come out of hiding and it's about a month late).

As for Gore, while it would be nice to have the guy who invented the internet here, I think we'll respectfully decline.

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOL!!! That guy has ALL the answers.......unfortunatly, they are for questions that no one cares about. But he's smart.......he knows what sells! "Fear" will always sell. If you can get people scared, and they think you have the answers, you can control them. Natural weather flucuations happen. Sometimes warmer, sometimes colder. But SHHHH! Don't tell anyone that! Or Gore's next film won't sell!
    Good old AL "the sky is falling" Gore! LOL! :rotflmao:
    Maybe he should sell his SUV's, and his fuel eatting mansion if he's so scared that the planet is going to melt. :soapbox: :rotflmao:

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's ok.....I'll keep getting screwed here! Although I would LOVE to go on a fishing trip in Canada! Maybe someday I can achieve that goal.

17. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it'll also prevent the warming on Neptune and Mars (where the polar caps are also supposed to be melting). I'm sure our "carbon footprints" have something to do that (but I'm sure old Al is just too busy with his latest invention to provide an answer as to why that's happening).

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe he could lead an expedition to the north and south poles, plug in a bunch of "Frigidare" refrigerators, and leave the doors open. That would stop the poles from melting! :rotflmao:
    Then he can take it to Neptune and Mars and do the same thing! (I heard he already tried it on "URANUS!!!")LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

19. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we could reverse any negative effects from global warming just by Gore shutting his bloody pie hole!

20. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to look it up and make me look stupid, go right ahead, but last I heard, the Milwaukee Area is in the top 10 for worst taxes, with all of the metro areas trumping us being on the east coast.