Here are 2 questions

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you define #1, 2, 3? Cobb was our most productive WR last year with more receptions, targets, as well as yards. Jordy had more TDs. We have the X, Y, and Z receiver by Packer terminology. I think the #1 is the QBs first 'go-to-guy' and I think Cobb was nearly that last season. I think this season, he will definitely be 'the guy'.

I think the depth chart will show Jordy and Cobb and 1/2. It doesn't matter who is 1 and who is 2, my point is, he's not our 3.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think the depth chart will show Jordy and Cobb and 1/2. It doesn't matter who is 1 and who is 2, my point is, he's not our 3.
You missed the part about where they line up on the field. He is indeed our "3" since when Jones (or any other WR not named Cunningham, Walker, or possibly Ross) hits the field that's the spot he'll be sliding into. No way in hell Cobb plays on the outside in 3+WR sets unless it's a gadget play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow what an unnecessary rant.

I assumed it was clearly said in jest of the lions.

Also, trotting out a counter argument that they have had success with a draft pick before is kind of silly. Hasn't every team struck gold in the draft? Lol.

The point was (clear) that teams do have access to all this info about a player and yet the lions still draft someone who apparently spent time on a mental institution. Only the lions would blow a 2nd round pick on a guy like that.

Seems like you are trying to argue no draft pick is a bad draft pick. Which isn't the case, no matter how you try n argue it.
I took your response to mean that the Professional GMs screw up so therefore a casual fan's opinion is just as valid. My entire point is that the OP is complaining about Packer depth, I am was pointing out his (and our) lack of knowledge as well as the silliness of ridiculing TT because of it. Your response led me to believe you were arguing this point.

In my opinion, errors occur usually in determining a players dedication. We can measure a players physical skills, we can test his athleticism; we can watch tape and figure out his understanding of football. But, we are handing a young man a check with more $$$ than his father has earned in a lifetime of labor. How does he react? For some that is the apex of life. They worked hard to get there and the goal is met. With that loss of an edge, they are now prone to mediocrity or worse. This is the most difficult aspect of scouting - will they continue to work when they are rich? Especially these days. The agents know this and a surprising number of recruits have been tutored in what to say for every question.

Your point on the Lions wasting a pick, is clear. But it is also clear you are missing the point about managing risk/reward. Do you think that the Vikings drafting Peterson was a huge mistake? He dropped significantly (down to 7) despite being the top prospect that year and maybe the best RB in quite some time. If the Vikes took him and his shoulder never quite healed and he never played again, would that have been a bust? Its easy to look in retrospect but at the time the GM has to weight the risk vrs how well the player may be.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took your response to mean that the Professional GMs screw up so therefore a casual fan's opinion is just as valid. My entire point is that the OP is complaining about Packer depth, I am was pointing out his (and our) lack of knowledge as well as the silliness of ridiculing TT because of it. Your response led me to believe you were arguing this point.

In my opinion, errors occur usually in determining a players dedication. We can measure a players physical skills, we can test his athleticism; we can watch tape and figure out his understanding of football. But, we are handing a young man a check with more $$$ than his father has earned in a lifetime of labor. How does he react? For some that is the apex of life. They worked hard to get there and the goal is met. With that loss of an edge, they are now prone to mediocrity or worse. This is the most difficult aspect of scouting - will they continue to work when they are rich? Especially these days. The agents know this and a surprising number of recruits have been tutored in what to say for every question.

Your point on the Lions wasting a pick, is clear. But it is also clear you are missing the point about managing risk/reward. Do you think that the Vikings drafting Peterson was a huge mistake? He dropped significantly (down to 7) despite being the top prospect that year and maybe the best RB in quite some time. If the Vikes took him and his shoulder never quite healed and he never played again, would that have been a bust? Its easy to look in retrospect but at the time the GM has to weight the risk vrs how well the player may be.

No, it was a comment meant to ridicule the lions. I make my rare attempts at disapproval of Ted very clear around here.

I think taking any RB early in the draft is a mistake. They don't win you titles. Plan on centering your offense around a rb? Enjoy 8 or 9 wins a season doing that.

As far as you trying to drag me into some sort of rubbish about injuries with college players, I personally view I juries in college and injuries in the nfl as only loosely connected. Being healthy or unhealthy in college doesn't guarantee anything. Ask Munoz or stafford.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Tretter, I think. But we'll find out. With all the mixing up on the O-line, they may end up going in a different direction than EDS entirely.

2. This was answered last year with Cobb. I hope Finley can be more active in this role next year too. But don't sweat the loss of Driver. With all due respect for the great man he is and the great career he had in Green Bay, Driver was for all purposes not part of the offense already last year. I love DD, but realistically we are talking about replacing someone who was less of a factor on offense than Tom Crabtree.

Latest posts