Herb Adderley has passed.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the greatest cornerbacks of all time, a member of all five Lombardi title teams. and a fine man off the field. He was 81.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's one of the ones I wish I got a chance to see play live. Of course that was never a possibility, but there are some players you hear about growing up and in listening to the previous generations talk and think, "man i wish I got to see that".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, got a story for you. I went to a Packer game against the Rams in the L.A. Colosseum. The Rams were not good in those days and so the 102,000 capacity Colosseum was not full by any means. I was young and running around the seats (benches) down low by the field around the 40 or 30 yard line of the Packers. The Rams had the ball. I only remember that after the play, Adderley and Red Phillips (a Ram split end) were near the sidelines. Back then receivers only had a single bar as a face mask. Adderley sized up Phillips and then hit him right in the face through the helmet. I am sure he knocked him cold because Phillips did not come back in and was sitting on his sidelines with his head in his hands. Adderley of course was ejected. Someone said that Phillips had been pushing Adderley all game long and Herb got mad. At least that's the way I remember it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the greatest cornerbacks of all time, a member of all five Lombardi title teams. and a fine man off the field. He was 81.

I wore 26 in high school because of Herb Adderley. I idolized him.

One of the greatest to ever play the game. Heaven just got a themselves a stud cornerback.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wore 26 in high school because of Herb Adderley. I idolized him.

One of the greatest to ever play the game. Heaven just got a themselves a stud cornerback.
Terrific player. I didn’t realize he was a kick returner in his early years. Best cornerback to ever play foe the Packers imo.

edit: I consider Woodson more of a rover in his Packer years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the game against the Vikes in '63 as an example of the feeling through the '60s of the Pack just coming up with a way to win. Minnesota was up near the end, set up for a clinching chip-shot FG, which Herb blocked and was returned for a TD. As has been said, he was a shut-down corner before there WERE shut-down corners.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts