1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Adderley has passed.

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by PackerDNA, Oct 30, 2020.

1. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    One of the greatest cornerbacks of all time, a member of all five Lombardi title teams. and a fine man off the field. He was 81.

2. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    A truly great ballplayer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    he's one of the ones I wish I got a chance to see play live. Of course that was never a possibility, but there are some players you hear about growing up and in listening to the previous generations talk and think, "man i wish I got to see that".

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    OK, got a story for you. I went to a Packer game against the Rams in the L.A. Colosseum. The Rams were not good in those days and so the 102,000 capacity Colosseum was not full by any means. I was young and running around the seats (benches) down low by the field around the 40 or 30 yard line of the Packers. The Rams had the ball. I only remember that after the play, Adderley and Red Phillips (a Ram split end) were near the sidelines. Back then receivers only had a single bar as a face mask. Adderley sized up Phillips and then hit him right in the face through the helmet. I am sure he knocked him cold because Phillips did not come back in and was sitting on his sidelines with his head in his hands. Adderley of course was ejected. Someone said that Phillips had been pushing Adderley all game long and Herb got mad. At least that's the way I remember it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    He will be missed

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

I wore 26 in high school because of Herb Adderley. I idolized him.

One of the greatest to ever play the game. Heaven just got a themselves a stud cornerback.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Terrific player. I didn’t realize he was a kick returner in his early years. Best cornerback to ever play foe the Packers imo.

edit: I consider Woodson more of a rover in his Packer years.

8. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    my old man said adderly was the cream of the crop back in the day. RIP.

9. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I remember the game against the Vikes in '63 as an example of the feeling through the '60s of the Pack just coming up with a way to win. Minnesota was up near the end, set up for a clinching chip-shot FG, which Herb blocked and was returned for a TD. As has been said, he was a shut-down corner before there WERE shut-down corners.