Henderson in no mood to talk about job status

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

William Henderson refused to address the possibility he is on the verge of losing the starting fullback job, a position he has held since 1996.

The Packers are giving strong consideration to starting Brandon Miree, who was promoted from the practice squad on Tuesday.

Henderson made a brief appearance in the locker room on Thursday, noticed a large group of reporters gathered around Miree's locker and looked annoyed by the fact the gathering had spilled in front his locker. He quickly grabbed some clothes and got dressed to the side, all the while refusing to answer questions about the possible change.

"I've got to get to a meeting," Henderson said.

Henderson, 35, who is in his 12th NFL season, has struggled with his blocking this season. Miree could be an upgrade in that area because of the knowledge of the zone-blocking scheme he learned during his two years with the Denver Broncos. The Packers are implementing the same scheme.

"He's a guy who we saw some good things in," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said of Miree. "You're always trying to upgrade and get your guys better. You keep developing your players, and that's what you're trying to do."

Offensive line issues

The Packers continued to work all three rookie guards — Daryn College, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz — in with the No. 1 offense in practice, and didn't give any indication whether Spitz would return to the starting lineup after missing the last two games with a thigh bruise.

If Spitz returns to the lineup, it could be at right guard instead of the left-guard spot he held before the injury, because Colledge has performed well in his absence.

Meanwhile, another issue developed when center Scott Wells dropped out of practice midway through with an injury. The Packers wouldn't say how Wells got hurt or what the injury was, and he was not added to the injury report. It's possible he could be added today.

"I took some snaps at right (guard) and left (guard)," Spitz said after practice. "Then I went in at center after Scott went down."

Eagles injuries

Eagles coach Andy Reid said during a conference call with the Wisconsin media that running back Brian Westbrook will play on Monday against the Packers.

Westbrook did not practice on Thursday and was listed as questionable on the injury report.

Reid was less certain about the availability of receiver Donte Stallworth, who is listed as questionable with a hamstring injury. Stallworth did not play in Sunday's win over the 49ers.

Transaction

The Packers re-signed linebacker Tim Goodwell to their practice squad. Goodwell had been with the Packers during training camp.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Miree starts over Henderson. Henderson has really gone downhill over the last 2 years but starting some guy like Miree over him would be surprising. It's sad to see Willy so upset.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts