Henderson, Blackmon Return To Practice

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
How does an injured player beat out someone who is healthy? You find your answer after reading this :)

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/04/2006

Starting fullback William Henderson and rookie cornerback Will Blackmon returned to practice on Monday for the Packers, and Henderson expects to be ready for Sunday's season opener.

Henderson, a 12-year veteran who has missed only two of 192 games in his career and just one since his rookie season, had arthroscopic surgery to clean up cartilage in his knee two weeks ago and was projected to be out anywhere from three to six weeks.

Should he take the field on Sunday against the Bears, Henderson will have returned to game shape one day shy of three weeks from the surgery.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Henderson was a bit sore after practice on Monday, but Henderson doesn't expect that to keep him from playing.

"I had no problems, just fitting in what the coaches have me fit in," Henderson said. "It's a go."

Meanwhile Blackmon, a fourth-round draft choice out of Boston College, was on the field for the first time since breaking his foot in May during the second post-draft mini-camp. He missed all of June's organized team activities (OTAs) and all of training camp and isn't back to full speed, but McCarthy said he made significant strides last week in his rehab.

"They limited me to individual (drills), the same thing they did with Ahman Green and Brady (Poppinga), just to ease back into it and get the feel back a little bit," Blackmon said.

Blackmon won't be available for Sunday's game against the Bears. If his comeback schedule follows that of his teammates, he may be able to play by the end of the month. Green and Poppinga got their first game action three weeks to the day after they returned to practice for individual drills.

"It's been stressful, not being able to play with your boys," said Blackmon, adding he has never had to take this much time away from football. "I haven't put pads on since the Senior Bowl, so that part's been tough. But I try to be positive day by day, go through the motions and do what I have to do."

One thing added to his workload at practice Monday was punt returns. A converted wide receiver, Blackmon is no stranger to having the ball in his hands and would welcome the role should the Packers want him to take it on.

"It's something I've done in college," he said. "I'm a skill player, I'm a gamer, so that's what I want to do."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sweet.

henderson is the coolest.

blackmon as a PR...i hope its better than Cory as a PR!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
sweet.

henderson is the coolest.

blackmon as a PR...i hope its better than Cory as a PR!

It pains me to say this because Cory is a gracious Dish Network customer, but I think you'd do better than he did.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackmons return in a MONTH might be why GB is looking at Koren Robinson. He would most likely get suspended right when Blackmon comes back.

herron did good as a KR though, as did Gado. PR...just fair catch till blackmon comes back.

and thank god willie is back. Leach was horrible, he made the oline look a lot worse than it was. The WHIFF king.

Members online

Latest posts