Hello

d0lphan72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greetings packer fans! this is a dolphins fan here to ask a few questions. i was wondering your thoughts on Philbin and Sherman, like do you think philbin would be good as a HC, is sherman a good OC? are they aggressive or conservative in their game planning? jusy give me some info and i'd appreciate it :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sherman got Joe his start and this to me is Joe's way of paying him back in a way..But sherman is a great off mind..

While in GB we had some great offensive teams..Look up our years that Sherman was here and how we ranked..You will get an idea of how they will be...We had a better than average rushing team in his years, but lot of that had to do with Ahman Green..

Joe I am not sure on him as a HC as personally I have not seen or heard to much about him talked about like that

OP
OP
D

d0lphan72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks, im pretty happy with the way thingss have looked, you can tell we havent had the best coaching staff recently and this defiantly looks like an upgrade

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman is by far my least favorite coach of all time. His play-calling was horrible and he gets ultra-conservative when his team has a lead. I was super excited when the Packers got rid of him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin and Sherman are opposites in my book....well-situated for Miami. Philbin is an organizer. That was his role in Green Bay and he excelled at it. That's really what the head coach does. While McCarthy was/is acting as the OC calling plays, Philbin was playing the role of head coach (to some degree). I think that he'll do well.

Some people may attach bad labels to Sherman, he did go 57-39 as a HC here. He played Favre with kid gloves and relied on Ahman Green and an excellent running game. He compiled many winning seasons here. Sherman's biggest problem was that he took on the role of general manager as well. He's a horses rear-end in that capacity, but he can call the plays well. When teams stacked eight in the box to stop Ahman Green, Mike Sherman was attempt at switching gears and having Favre pick them apart. For years, teams approached the Packers with a "make Favre beat you" attitude. Sherman often made them pay. I specifically recall the Packers/Ravens game in 2001 when Favre trashed the defending Super Bowl champ's elite defense for almost 400 yards and 4 touchdowns. Sherman knew how to run the offense. Is he a genius? Probably not but I think that he'll do quite well with Philbin.

I like the combination of these two guys down in Miami.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I always felt Sherman played the odds. If the average coach would call the play, odds are he would. No tricks just out execute you.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin: Not sure what to expect from him as a head coach. His offense was always well planned and the players executed well. With MM being very offensive minded, you can never be too sure what is the result of Philbin or MM. I will label this one a 'crap shoot' but would lean towards the negative side. Mostly I would base that on my perception that Philbin is not a very fiery leader, but more of the quiet confident guy. I prefer a strong fiery leader.

Sherman: Early in his career I thought he did an excellent job. Against the Eagles one year, the Eagles were favored, and we lost our Cbs. We picked up street FAs a week before and they performed great in the game. Sherman stood up to Sapp alone after Sapp took a vicious hit on Chad Clifton and then was on the sidelines laugh his fat *** off while Clifton was being put on a stretcher. I will always admire Sherman for that. Towards the end of his days, the GM role may have had a big effect on his ability to coach. I noticed more and more coaching/planning/preparation mistakes. My guess is that he will come back and pick up with the positive. I recall Ron Wolf after hiring Sherman saying that Sherman had blown him away with his football knowledge and his attention to detail. Thats Ron Wolf who had 40 years of experience in the NFL so his words were quite meaningful to me.

If I had my choice it would definitely be Sherman.

Good luck.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am just wondering when Manning and Wayne take their talents to South Beach.

:eek:

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder who is gonna call the plays??

I'll be following the Dolphins more this year than any other AFC team I have before probably. Especially if Flynn winds up there.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have nothing but nice things to say about coach Philbin. I think he will be a good fit for your Dolphins and hopefully correct what is going wrong. Good luck to you guys!

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin is something of an unknown to most Packer fans I would think. While McCarthy calls the plays, it's hard to say what roles each was designated within this offense.

As for Sherman...pretty good offensive mind I would say. Packers really had a terrific balance between run and pass under Sherman (thanks in large part to having the best O line in the league at the time). I would guess though, that Philbin would be calling the plays?

Anyway you look at it I think getting Sherm as OC is a good hire. If you guys can get Flynn that would be huge...I think he'd be a good fit in Miami as they already have a legit #1 reciever.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts