Hello New England.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Pats are enamored with Orakpo. They may be looking to move up in the draft. The most logical trade partner is, you guessed it, the Packers. I heard on the radio this morning that according to that chart thinger we'd get the 23rd and 34th overall for our 9th. You can bet that if that call does indeed come in on draft day, Thompson will take that trade. So if all of a sudden we're at pick 23 instead of 9, who do you take?

This is where i'd consider taking a bit of a chance on Jarron Gilbert or however you spell it. Though honestly, the idea of a linebacker intrigues me in this spot too. And there's also the possibility, though unlikely, that Andre Smith falls to here. Personally, i'd take the other DT from BC (Ron Brace?). Fills the same need as Raji at a much lower price. But if this deal comes down, what i'm more excited about is the possibility of getting Michael Johnson from GA Tech with that 34. Loaded with speed, loaded with potential, I think he'd be a nice second round steal if by some sort of miracle he's there.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think that Orakpo will be there at 9. And besides Raji, there's no NT with playmaker ability like him.

But if it does occurs, we should take a look at Ron Brace into the 2nd round. The first round pick could be use on a OLB (Clay Matthews) or DE (Tyson Jackson) or even CB (though I think this is not such a pretty good idea). Then Connor Barwin/Michael Johnson if they are still available. We might take a look at OT in the 3rd round.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way Orakpo falls that far is if Detroit balks at taking Stafford or Jason Smith, and instead drafts Curry, St Louis then would probably take Jason Smith, KC could take Raji (But they could also like Monroe or Orakpo), Seattle likely would take stafford of crabtree, Cleveland likes Crabtree, and Orakpo, but they might trade down with the skins here who take sanchez, if not cleveland may see WR as a need and draft say maclain), Cincy would scoop up Monroe or Andre Smith If he is there (Word is Cincy likes Smith more than Oher),

to make it neatre it looks something like this. two scenarios

1. Detroit Lions: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor (I don't think this pick changes what St Louis does, unless they want to trade Bulger for some strange reason, I do not see them taking Stafford or Sanchez)
3. Kansas City Chiefs: B. J. Raji, NT, Boston College (They could go for another D player, like Orakpo or eugene Monroe)

4. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns: Michael CrabTree, WR, Texas Tech (assuming the redskins or someone else don't trade up for Mark Sanchez)
6. Cincinatti Bengals: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Cincy has to be laughing to the bank here, they get the second best tackle in the draft, and unless, they trade out, they will be looking to have a better O-line to protect palmer

7. Oakland Raiders: Michael Oher, OT/OG, Texas

The Raiders could be unpredictable here, and with both QBs on the board, you gotta bet they will get trade offers, and the raiders could use more picks that much is sure, I think they trade down in this scenario, question is with who, but if they stay, they could look to go WR or possibly OL.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rey Maualuga, MLB, USC

Not a great position here for Jacksonville, with the top three tackles gone, BJ Raji also Gone, the best remaining LBs are Rey Maluagua, and while Jacksonville could take a QB here (stafford I'd bet), they likely could trade down for more picks here, but if they stick here I think they take LB.

Brian Orakpo is here in this scenario.

Assuming a trade here:
9. New England Patriots: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

10. San Fancisco 49ers: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

I'm not confident in San fran's pick here, but I don't think they need a tackle of the mold of Andre Smith, and with Orakpo gone, I think the DE position could be the best, (other options are Vontae Davis out of Illinois)

11. Buffalo Bills: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

12. Denver Broncos: James Laurinitas, ILB, Ohio State

Denver is in a pickle, with Raji gone early, their hope to find a stud NT this year is likely gone. They still have needs on Defense that have to be addressed though, I think they go DE (Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech or Aaron Maybin, DE/LB, Penn state) or LB (James Laurinitas, ILB, Ohio State) at this point.

13. Washington Redskins: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Now the redskins are in a Pickle, they've talked up wanting to take Mark Sanchez all this time, and its time to put the pudding where the mouth is. If the Jets come calling, do the Skins trade back? Do they draft Sanchez? Most of the top tier guys are gone at OT, DT, DE) I'm not sure who they would take here if it isn't Sanchez, if they don't really want Sanchez, they had better trade back in this scenario.

Scenario 2

1. Detroit Lions: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor (I don't think this pick changes what St Louis does, unless they want to trade Bulger for some strange reason, I do not see them taking Stafford or Sanchez)
3. Kansas City Chiefs: B. J. Raji, NT, Boston College (They could go for another D player, like Orakpo or eugene Monroe)

The Chiefs are the real wild card here, if Curry is gone, I doubt they go QB, they could take Eugene Monroe, OT, UVA, they could also look to DLine, and draft Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin, or perhaps they could take a NT BJ Raji, I'm betting they'd take the NT since they are transitioning to the 3-4.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Seahawks will have a dilemma, two top tier QBs they could take, and its rumored they might want to take a QB as heir apparent to Hasselbech, and while they have recently said they might Take Sanchez over stafford, I don't buy it, they reporteldy were very interested in him earlier in the year. It was not until the Skins started to show interest that this happened. Personally I think the Seahawks could trade down from here, and someone will take a QB, but if they are stuck here I still think that they could take OT Eugene Monroe or WR Michael Crabtree. My money is on them taking a Tackle. I know the Seahawks signed Housh from the Bengals, but I gotta think they take a top tier WR here.

5. Cleveland Browns: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

Cleveland could be in a trade down position, with both QBs sitting here, a tarde could happen here for either QB, but if they stick I think they might take Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, Texas, who is perhaps the better Talent over the WRs they may be considering. (Which would likely be Jeremy Maclin, but I think their need at WR is too great to take BPA available here, if they can't trade down, they take what they need most, a WR)

6. Cincinatti Bengals: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Cincy has to be laughing to the bank here, they get the second best tackle in the draft, and unless, they trade out, they will be looking to have a better O-line to protect palmer

7. Oakland Raiders: Michael Oher, OT/OG, Texas

The Raiders could be unpredictable here, and with both QBs on the board, you gotta bet they will get trade offers, and the raiders could use more picks that much is sure, I think they trade down in this scenario, question is with who, but if they stay, they could look to go WR or possibly OL.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rey Maualuga, MLB, USC

Not a great position here for Jacksonville, with the top three tackles gone, BJ Raji also Gone, the best remaining LBs are Rey Maluagua, and while Jacksonville could take a QB here (stafford I'd bet), they likely could trade down for more picks here, but if they stick here I think they take LB.

Brian Orakpo is here in this scenario, do we take him or Jackson if we don't trade down?

9. Green Bay Packers: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Packers always take BPA, but I don't see them taking a QB, Ted Thompson will look to trade out and add more depth later on if he can (possibly SF could trade up one pick to go ahead and Grab Stafford), but if he can't I don't see him taking Andre Smith though Brian orakpo will tempt them, but they reportedly like Tyson Jackson more for their 3-4 scheme.

10. San Fancisco 49ers: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

SF will have a hardtime not taking stafford here, even though they extended/renegotiated Alex Smith's contract, I believe that if they don't trade out they will have to take him here.

11. Buffalo Bills: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

12. Denver Broncos: James Laurinitas, ILB, Ohio State (Could go Orakpo here.)

Denver is in a pickle, with Raji gone early, their hope to find a stud NT this year is likely gone. They still have needs on Defense that have to be addressed though, I think they go DE (Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech or Aaron Maybin, DE/LB, Penn state) or LB (James Laurinitas, ILB, Ohio State) at this point.

13. Washington Redskins: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Now the redskins are in a Pickle, they've talked up wanting to take Mark Sanchez all this time, and its time to put the pudding where the mouth is. If the Jets come calling, do the Skins trade back? Do they draft Sanchez? Most of the top tier guys are gone at OT, DT, DE) I'm not sure who they would take here if it isn't Sanchez, if they don't really want Sanchez, they had better trade back in this scenario.

Granted, I feel in either scenario trading could happen a lot as teams will be reaching for players at times, and I still think Mark Sanchezz gets taken earlier, by a team trading up, I just don't know if its one or the other :/

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
As long as we're mocking:

1. Lions - Mathew Stafford
2. Rams - Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - Aaron Curry
4. Seahawks - Mark Sanchez
5. Browns - Michael Crabtree
6. Bengals - Eugene Monroe
7. Raiders - Jeremy Maclin
8. Jaguars - B.J. Raji
9. Packers or Pats - Brian Orakpo

About the Seahawks, I like Hasselback too, but all the buzz lately has been around Sanchez going really high. Most people have him going to Seattle. I don't completely understand them taking him, but maybe they want to give him a few years to watch like the Pack did with Aaron? Or maybe they're just that in love with him, which is understandable because I think he's going to be really good. If that's the case, I get it. I think they're an injury free season away from winning that division this year, so they sort of have a luxury pick at a really high position.

Reaction score
Yah Romo was also trained like rodgers so thats a good thing for teams to do that so not all qb's go out and be expected to start and win. Some players can do it some cant. People that can do it Matt Ryan . people who cant Vince Young. Also Hasselback is getting older and was hurt last year so you can never be to safe otherwise they will take monroe

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we're mocking:

1. Lions - Mathew Stafford
2. Rams - Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - Aaron Curry
4. Seahawks - Mark Sanchez
5. Browns - Michael Crabtree
6. Bengals - Eugene Monroe
7. Raiders - Jeremy Maclin
8. Jaguars - B.J. Raji
9. Packers or Pats - Brian Orakpo

About the Seahawks, I like Hasselback too, but all the buzz lately has been around Sanchez going really high. Most people have him going to Seattle. I don't completely understand them taking him, but maybe they want to give him a few years to watch like the Pack did with Aaron? Or maybe they're just that in love with him, which is understandable because I think he's going to be really good. If that's the case, I get it. I think they're an injury free season away from winning that division this year, so they sort of have a luxury pick at a really high position.

I read an article on some Seattle news site that said they were looking at taking Crabtree actually, they like Stafford but don't expect him there, and they are not particularly intereted in Eugene Monroe, but if Jason smith is there I dunno. It will be an interesting draft, maybe.

It looks like the rams are not going with jason smith so this mock draft looks like it has changed

Rams Leaning Monroe . . . Or Sanchez? - NBC Sports Blogs

Which makes sense, everything I've read has said that monroe is the most complete OT, Smith is rated higher because he's better at one type of blocking I think.

Latest posts