HEIR APPARENT or APPARENT AIR

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our first round draft pick has achieved a 19.4 passer rating.

It is a good thing we passed on DT's Louis Castillo(#28 San Diego), Shaun Cody(#37 Detroit), and Mike Patterson(#31 Philadelphia). Otherwise we would be cutting Kenny Peterson and/or James Lee who were both worth two draft picks each.

We now will be cutting J.T. O'Sullivan who is second on team in passer rating which is also 3 times Rodgers' passer rating.

Really ask yourself if he was a free agent wouldn't he be behind O'Sullivan on depth chart and soon to be cut.

The drafting of Aaron Rodgers was a "no brainer" (no thought). His 19.4 passer rating against second team defenses has impressed enough for him to earn the low tech clipboard duties and get coffee at meetings.

Excuses can be made like:
1) He is only a rookie. True and I did not expect much.
2) He will pay off in the future. At what cost today? Is it worth it?
3) He had to play against 2nd team defenses. So during the season we can expect worse?
4) He was so valuable the Packers HAD to take him at #24. Yes, Mel Kiper said so.
5) Now we get to replace Nall and O'Sullivan in 2006. So our situation will be better in 2006 with him than without him. Where do you find the 06 #2? At what cost?

The more serious question is that Rodgers has not acquired a nickname yet. Should it be Jamal or Reynolds??

Heir Apparent or Apparent error?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

It is a good thing we passed on DT's Louis Castillo(#28 San Diego), Shaun Cody(#37 Detroit), and Mike Patterson(#31 Philadelphia). Otherwise we would be cutting Kenny Peterson and/or James Lee who were both worth two draft picks each.

We now will be cutting J.T. O'Sullivan who is second on team in passer rating which is also 3 times Rodgers' passer rating.

Really ask yourself if he was a free agent wouldn't he be behind O'Sullivan on depth chart and soon to be cut.

The drafting of Aaron Rodgers was a "no brainer" (no thought). His 19.4 passer rating against second team defenses has impressed enough for him to earn the low tech clipboard duties and get coffee at meetings.

3) He had to play against 2nd team defenses. So during the season we can expect worse?
4) He was so valuable the Packers HAD to take him at #24. Yes, Mel Kiper said so.
5) Now we get to replace Nall and O'Sullivan in 2006. So our situation will be better in 2006 with him than without him. Where do you find the 06 #2? At what cost?

The more serious question is that Rodgers has not acquired a nickname yet. Should it be Jamal or Reynolds??

You are correct. As I have said many times now, the Packers needed a defensive playmaker a lot more than a back up QB. A back up QB that in my opinion was over rated from the start. The 49ers were blinded by his senior year stats which by the way were not as good as Kyle Orton's. Could have had the defensive stud AND Orton with their 2nd pick. Thanks guys!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
You are correct. As I have said many times now, the Packers needed a defensive playmaker a lot more than a back up QB. A back up QB that in my opinion was over rated from the start. The 49ers were blinded by his senior year stats which by the way were not as good as Kyle Orton's. Could have had the defensive stud AND Orton with their 2nd pick. Thanks guys!

you should make a Kyle Orton website.

Cheez-

rookie qb's, for the most part....stink. im positive you're aware of this. will he be worth it, hell if i know. but im sure its waaay too early to worry about it. draft picks are a crapshoot in my opinion. i mentioned earlier that David Pollack (taken 17th) is third stringing it right now. was that a wasted pick? possibly, but that kid could turn out to be the man in a couple years.

my main point is if Rodgers develops into the all pro qb they think hes capable of being, then that would undoubtedly be worth more than an all pro DT. with the quarterback position especially, you have to play the waiting game.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

If Rodgers was a free agent, you would have a lot more to judge him by than just the first 3 preseason games of his rookie year. Did you honestly expect him to burst on to the field and immediately become the next Bret Favre? Rodgers is still learning the ropes of a very complicated offence in a league that is playing at a level far above anything he has ever participated in before. Calling for his head after his first three outings is more than just a little premature, IMO.

The fact remains that with Bret Favre openly discussing retirement, the Pack needed to start looking for someone to eventually replace him. I don't think you will find many teams in the NFL that would have did anything different than the Pack did last April if they were in the same position.

Give the guy a couple seasons and see how he works out. Very few quarterbacks were anything close to superstars in their rookie years.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love all this Monday morning qb'ing that goes on on these boards. Hopefully some of you are old enough to remember this one.

WE COULD HAVE HAD BARRY SANDERS!!!! Instead we took Tony Mandarich.
Go back and check and see how many rookies at any position actually contribute enough to make a difference. I think you will find it is a very low percentage, and untill Big Ben showed up last year, there hasn't been a rookie qb make a splash since Dan Marino.

Aaron Rogers is a pick for the future. He may never start a game in Green Bay, but a week before the draft almost every expert in the NFL who evaluated talent had him good enough to be the #1 pick in the league.

The Packers could have taken one of those defensive players that have been mentioned, but there is no guarantee that they would come into camp and be the next Gilbert Brown.

The Packers drafted the guy they thought had the best talent at his position at that point in the draft. The guys making all the decisions seem to know what they are doing most of the time, so I,m am going to give them a benefit of a doubt this time and see what happens the next few years.

I don't want to be watching 3 years from now thinking"WE COULD HAVE HAD AARON ROGERS"

It's been a rough pre-season for most of the team, be a fan and get behind this team instead of second guessing them, I think you will find it is a lot more fun.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One final note, being from Ohio and a huge Buckeye fan, you are just beginning to see the talent of B. J. Sander. Last year was real disapointment but it was good The Packers decided to keep him around, he will help win a few games with his talent.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and I guess the Giants should of cut Manning after his rookie season?? and the chargers should of cut Drew Breze after his rookie season as well.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

Yeah cheez, Rodgers has played all of three games. Let's throw him out the door b/c he'll never amount to anything. If that were the case, why not bench Favre too? He's had a a few terrible playoff losses in a row and it could never get much better for him. Let's bring in J.T. O'Sullivan and get rolling right? Or maybe listen to Philtration and trade for Kyle Orton b/c he's the next coming of Joe Montana! Give me a break! The kid will be alright, give it time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
WE COULD HAVE HAD BARRY SANDERS!!!! Instead we took Tony Mandarich.

Barry is my all time idol with Dale Earnhardt. But the Packers did the right in drafting mandrich. AT THE TIME of the draft. He was coming out of college as THE stud OL and the Packers sorely needed OL help. I would have loved the Packers to get Barry but I understand football well enough to know that decision we see it now obviously as a STUPID *** pick but at that time MANY teams would have done the same thing.
Also I could be wrong but didnt we draft Fullwood in the first round the year before an they were hoping he'd be the starter?

If you look back at that draft there is a slew of studs that were picked after him and we could have had. It's time to get over it, I'm trying :(

Reaction score
Cheez, oh come man. To quit after this short time is insane. rett struggled his first year, and was third on the depth chart in Atlanta. Even Manning had a medicore rating of 71 in his rookie season. The fact is it takes time. Give the kid some time.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

What I'm surprised that no one mentioned so far is that Nick Collins was the highest defensive player rated on the Packers draft board, so we never would have picked any of those players you mentioned anyway.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Cheez, oh come man. To quit after this short time is insane. rett struggled his first year, and was third on the depth chart in Atlanta. Even Manning had a medicore rating of 71 in his rookie season. The fact is it takes time. Give the kid some time.

Thats what Ive always said.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire argument is utterly without merit. Here's why:

IT'S THE PRESEASON......REPEAT....IT'S THE PRESEASON.

1)Not one player mentioned has made one official contribution to any team thusfar.
2)A bust 4 weeks into training camp? What freaking games are people watching?
3)Not one of the defensive players mentioned as defensive saviors for the Packers have made the Pro Bowl, yet. Many won't, if you follow stats.

Aaron Rodgers will be the starting QB either next year or the year after. Why not cut the guy a break...and learn this is the pro game, not college. All of the studs you mentioned mastered the college game, but last time I checked, this is the pros, the next level up. They have some mastering to do.

Have we gotten a little picky folks? We haven't even seen Grady or Hunt yet.

This is the earliest I've ever seen anyone lose it about draft picks. Mark it on the calendar.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got the safety we needed, and the qb as our future. It was a good draft for us.

I remember some people also that gave up on Favre very early. I'm confident in Rodgers' future.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:

you should make a Kyle Orton website.

Cheez-

rookie qb's, for the most part....stink. im positive you're aware of this. will he be worth it, hell if i know. but im sure its waaay too early to worry about it. draft picks are a crapshoot in my opinion. i mentioned earlier that David Pollack (taken 17th) is third stringing it right now. was that a wasted pick? possibly, but that kid could turn out to be the man in a couple years.

my main point is if Rodgers develops into the all pro qb they think hes capable of being, then that would undoubtedly be worth more than an all pro DT. with the quarterback position especially, you have to play the waiting game.

My point is that the Packers could have had both the all pro QB AND the all pro DL. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Rodgers and I think that he will probally be a very good QB in the NFL. I just think that Orton will be just as good if not better and he slipped in the draft just like Rodgers did only due to injury. I think that the Bears have blown several drafts and said so on draft day.
Trading your # 1 for Rick Meier?
Taking Curtis Ennis over Randy Moss?
Trading down and drafting Cade McNown over Daunte Culpepper?
Trading down to get two # 1 picks (Grossman and Haynes) over Byron Leftwitch?
Taking Cedrick Benson over Mike Williams when you had depth at RB? Not good moves in my opinion.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
My point is that the Packers could have had both the all pro QB AND the all pro DL.

WHOA!
How can you say either of them are all-pros? Don't you think that is a touch over-zealous? I want some of what you are smoking. You are way out of touch calling these guys all-pros when none of them have even played an NFL game yet.
Ted Thompson passed on the D-lineman in the draft for a reason. All of them had liabilities and probably wouldn't amount to much in the pros. I tend to agree. We got the guy we coveted and from what it looks like so far he's a player.

Time will tell on Orton but just cause he's better than the current scrubs the Bears had behind Grossman doesn't mean anything when he sees the reality of the NFL on Sundays.

All-pro. Wow. :roll:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Philtration said:
My point is that the Packers could have had both the all pro QB AND the all pro DL.

WHOA!
How can you say either of them are all-pros? Don't you think that is a touch over-zealous? I want some of what you are smoking. You are way out of touch calling these guys all-pros when none of them have even played an NFL game yet.
Ted Thompson passed on the D-lineman in the draft for a reason. All of them had liabilities and probably wouldn't amount to much in the pros. I tend to agree. We got the guy we coveted and from what it looks like so far he's a player.

Time will tell on Orton but just cause he's better than the current scrubs the Bears had behind Grossman doesn't mean anything when he sees the reality of the NFL on Sundays.

All-pro. Wow. :roll:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
WHOA! yourself. I am not the one who claimed that Rodgers was going to be an all pro. That was arrowgargantuan

WHOA!

dont drag me into this!! :lol:

i see what you're saying Phil, but to be honest i don't think anybody has a point to make until these kids measure up to something. the draft science is indeed a shaky one.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:
WHOA! yourself. I am not the one who claimed that Rodgers was going to be an all pro. That was arrowgargantuan

WHOA!

dont drag me into this!! :lol:

i see what you're saying Phil, but to be honest i don't think anybody has a point to make until these kids measure up to something. the draft science is indeed a shaky one.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many seem to misunderstand the point of the post.

The "Oh he's going to be something someday" folks must realize that there is a cost to that head in the sand mentality. Patience with Rodgers is costing the franchise.

2-3 years of non production from your first round pick has an extremely high cost. The cost is no DT for those 2-3 years.

It is impractical to throw the baby(rookie) out with the bathwater.

It does weaken the QB position in 2006.

Read the post so many have quoted. It was a bad decision to draft Rodgers unless he has a very long and moderately sucessful career in Green Bay.

When you complain of Hunt or Jackson remember you do not want their replacement. You want Rodgers instead.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
  • 4) He was so valuable the Packers HAD to take him at #24. Yes, Mel Kiper said so.
Again, I say.... Mel who?
And, oh yes he does have a nickname.... with Rodgers, ya kiddin' me?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I know I've already seen several references..... LOL

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali....deep breath...relax...exhale...big breath! There now. Rodgers will be fine.

Would you also be happy in 2 or 3 years if we DID NOT have the QB situation squared away? Iam sure you, as all of us would, would be pissed for the lack of vision. A GM has to pick for today and tomorrow.

No defensive playmakers in the draft. Collins and Underwood are showing well and are the safeties of today Collins) and tomorrow (Underwood). Hawkins at the 5 spot...a steal by the way it looks. Montgomery is making noise and would have gone much higher if scouts were not scared off by a heart ailment that has been completely corrected with surgery.

C'mon now...how bad did FAVRE look his entire first year?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez...Mr. Rodgers is a GREAT comparison! Did you know he was a trained killer for our armed services...and notched up an impressive record on his job. He wore long sweaters to cover up the many tattoos from that time so as not to remind him of that part of his life.

As well, Bob Keehan (yes, Captain Kangaroo to my fellow boomers) was a WWII Hero...and received the Army's highest honors for bravery from his tour of duty.

Yes, not specifically football...but Mr. Rodgers will be a quiet killer with a smile on his face for us.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recycling an August preseason thread.

Philtration understood my post.
By picking Rodgers at 24 the Packers did not pick a Guard, Defensive Lineman, OT, TE(Steelers did), or other position.

If he does not play in years 1,2, and 3 of his contract, how well does he have to play is years 4 and 5 to make up for it and be "worth" a 1st round pick?

In economics it is called opportunity cost. Who could you have instead playing and contributing? The Packers chose Rodgers.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
of B. J. Sanders
Uh-oh, SV should see this one soon. :shock:

Now, now RYAN - once again, you got the name wrong... better watch yer back.... :lol:

I was going to add a comment or two - but Anubis stole my thunder...

GOOD POST, ANUBIS -- (I watch Stargate, too... [GRin])

Members online

Latest posts