1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Heads Up - Alert

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by IPBprez, Jul 11, 2005.

1. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Over the weekend - I had to email out to get a password remeinder as my email with it had accidentally been deleted.

The password was for the web site known as PackerUpdate.com

In their reminder to me, of my password, they "also" alerted me that the web site would be shut down pending they notice anyone COPYING their articles onto other web sites....

I have to tell ya - I do remember that happening here - but I would advise Members here refrain from doing so...

Again - Heads Up....

2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    *cough* Bullsh!t *cough*

"Yeah we make money with this site but we are going to shut it down because people copy our articles to other sites".

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I'm not saying to ignore their warning, and please respect their wishes and what not, but that's crap. :roll: Like they are really going to shut down their site. And if they do :shrug: I guess we will have more traffic here where we are open for free information exchange of a publicly held team. All we ask is that if people use information from our site, they post a link or credit us in appropriate way.

3. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I knew you would be commenting - but just the same, if RYAN were to have a Main Page with personally written articles about the Packers - considered legitimate - then he'd really hate to have people swiping his commentary. His site does ask for donations, so it's almost a pay site. In the couple of copied posts I saw brought over here - not much acknowledgement was given either.... Certainly NO LINK was created back to that site. As stated, it was just a heads up - keeping our site on the up & up with credibility....

4. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    As long as they posted a link back or gave credit in an appropriate way, I wouldn't mind in the least. Free advertising.

5. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
  6. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    yeah...seems a bit counterproductive to shut down your entire operation due to members reposting info that is free in the first place. the donation factor changes it a bit i suppose, but it still sounds like an idle threat to me.

7. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm MORE curious about his "sources" for the commentary he posts....
    That, by itself, may be the root cause (some agreement?) which would force him to make such chatter.

8. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    They wouldn't allow my access so I suspect I'm on their A-hole list because I had to audacity to quote a couple of their articles. If you recall, I wouldn't post their stuff here and was careful to describe it.

I can easily ignore them if they are so important.

Apparently they forgot that the goal is to lure readers in, not turn them away.

9. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I'd agree to that - my problem is.....

Why wouldn't they simply allow their Homepage to represent that day's main article and show about 75% of the written text... then list a note at the bottom stating the given policy(s)... Meaning, yes you can replicate commentary from this Homepage, but please click on this link which will auto-link everything back to our (their) web site.

Personally, I haven't tested it yet - but I would think there's a way... to streamline when a person wants to bring articles to other sites... something a bit more automated... Like, maybe create a box at the bottom which you could list an email addy, that would auto-post your comment to a new thread... something very similar to what I can do with our MSN Group site.... I can email a letter to the IPB site and it will get posted... All I do is send it to IndyPackerBackers@groups.msn.com - after that, it shows up as a new thread. Of course, I have to have a valid recognizable (Member) email address to send it from... But, you get the idea. Not all Forum boards work this way, but in certain ways, it's not a bad tactic. Especially, if you were working within Outlook Express and were able to use thousands more Smilies than what's available even here.... One thing I've learned is smilies help generate a truer expression of a person's post than anything else... even bold or italics text changes....

I'd still like to know who this Packer Update has as a Source for much of what he writes....

10. ORRELSE

ORRELSE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...I agree. I asked some buddies this same question the other day. They said it had to do with advertising on the site. I don't go to the site very often cause I'm skeptical of the info, and especially the same warning I got of not copying the articles. I don't see a big problem unless you don't site the source.