Hawk's Bird

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I really don't care that he flipped the finger. I know there's an infantile audience, but kids these days know fully well what that is. But that's another topic.

What I'm glad about is that that shows fire. People were starting to complain that Hawk had played for his contract and now was shutting down, well that's not shutting down, is it?

He knows he shouldn't have done it, but it shows anger, something that Hawks lacks more often than not. And that was a huge play, he made the correct read on the playaction and shooted through the gap.

infantile? only an infantile audience would take offense even knowing full well what it means?
I get that it was a great play... but really!.... do we want to see this become the norm???
Whats next? Crotch grabbing?!?!!? LOL!!!
Like I said... how would it look if Rodgers, Driver , or Woodson would start flipping off the camera,( or wherever AJ was trying to show it)
I was just trying to say that he could find a more classy way to show exuberance on an excellent play rather than obscene jesting.*smiley tongue out! :p (who knew old school works!)

*dang Robdog...we got to get the ability to put smileys in quoted replies!

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats next? Crotch grabbing?!?!!? LOL!!!

I can't recall what game it was but back in '99 Favre did the D-X chop after he threw a TD pass...

luckily the announcers didn't catch on to it. I remeber my father and I dying with laughter only cause Favre pulled it off perfectly

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
We were wondering about that too.

Was it the middle finger?
Whatever finger it was, could it have been some kind of signal to a coach or something?

Whenever someone gives me the finger (Not too often) or I see it, I reply, "That's nice. You are learning how to count to one."
I gave you a "like" because of your cute lil' disclaimer there at the end. :D
I gave her a "like" because I agree that it was tasteless on Hawk's part. Unprofessional and not a good representation of why I am proud to be a Packer fan.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Was it the teller?? I can see him getting scared if that was the case....counting to 1, 2, .....and.. robbery!!

lol!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
infantile? only an infantile audience would take offense even knowing full well what it means?
A mature audience shouldn't feel offended by something not directed at them, and that doesn't affect them.

Like I said, it does affect them because it influences their children.

Movies rated mature allow such actions and much more. It's a common act, when someone angry at another one.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same thing happens when one yells out an obscenity and they don't realized their mic is on. That is actually pretty common and can sometimes result in a fine. I watch NASCAR quite a lot. Occasionally a driver gets fined for using foul language because they don't know their radio chatter is currently being broadcast on national television.​

This may be an oversight by Hawk, but he should realize that anything he does on that field could be broadcast on TV. It's an awareness thing but like I said in an earlier post, sometimes in the moment, you kind of just lose yourself. Sacks to Hawk are like TDs to Aaron.​

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
A mature audience shouldn't feel offended by something not directed at them, and that doesn't affect them.

Movies rated mature allow such actions and much more. It's a common act, when someone angry at another one.
Unfortunately, you're right on this action being common in today's society. Although I do think there is a difference between an individual flipping off another individual and someone who is representing a professional team. IMO, the Packers orginization looks bad as a result, not just him. Also, he's being paid to be there. Would it be acceptable to do this at your place of employment?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score

Ok...I get that it IS a common act (sadly),... I was just expressing the fact that I hope that he or others don't continue this fad as the "inside joke" as I feel it reflects poorly on the Packers in general.

As a mature audience member , I felt that something like that is offensive and un-necessary , and apparently the announcers did too.

I just like to think that the Packers are a class act, and don't need to resort to dropping the F bomb, or flipping off people or whatever..... thats all i was trying to get across.... :confused:

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Same thing happens when one yells out an obscenity and they don't realized their mic is on. That is actually pretty common and can sometimes result in a fine. I watch NASCAR quite a lot. Occasionally a driver gets fined for using foul language because they don't know their radio chatter is currently being broadcast on national television.​

This may be an oversight by Hawk, but he should realize that anything he does on that field could be broadcast on TV. It's an awareness thing but like I said in an earlier post, sometimes in the moment, you kind of just lose yourself. Sacks to Hawk are like TDs to Aaron.​
I agree that this could have been a spontaneous reaction, just like others cursing. I don't think he's a bad guy because of a split second reaction that was inappropriate for the setting. I'm glad he humbled himself to address it and apoligize.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you're right on this action being common in today's society. Although I do think there is a difference between an individual flipping off another individual and someone who is representing a professional team. IMO, the Packers orginization looks bad as a result, not just him. Also, he's being paid to be there. Would it be acceptable to do this at your place of employment?
As I said before, he shouldn't have done it, but I'm not one bit disturbed by that. Never said he was right in doing it, though.

And don't try comparing professions because it's not even close. I don't headbutt for a living.

And, again, the organization only looks bad if people think that it is reprovable. Because if you believe that someone joking with their teammates after making a play makes the Packers look bad then you think every team in the NFL doesn't have a good image. And that's what happened in that instance. Hawk joked with his teammates.

If he had waived a hand nobody would said a thing but it's because he lifted one single finger, and people think that that gesture is offensive, that there is people that get offended.

If you exclude the perception of the signal and just break it down to the procedural facts, it's harmless.

If we lived in the 1800s and we saw women with the men in the same stands showing their legs, it would be an outrage.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that this could have been a spontaneous reaction, just like others cursing. I don't think he's a bad guy because of a split second reaction that was inappropriate for the setting. I'm glad he humbled himself to address it and apoligize.

I think apologizing was the smartest thing he could of done. Most Packer fans are class acts, just like the team they adore and they probably don't care for such a thing. Hawk's apology will go a long way to fans. At least he didn't shrug it off like it was no big thing. He acknowledged it and owned it. Hopefully now he knows to keep that in the locker room!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok...I get that it IS a common act (sadly),... I was just expressing the fact that I hope that he or others don't continue this fad as the "inside joke" as I feel it reflects poorly on the Packers in general.

As a mature audience member , I felt that something like that is offensive and un-necessary , and apparently the announcers did too.

I just like to think that the Packers are a class act, and don't need to resort to dropping the F bomb, or flipping off people or whatever..... thats all i was trying to get across.... :confused:
I doubt they repeat, Hawk has publicly apologized already.

My whole point is, too much of a big deal is being made out of this.

We believe that men trying to hurt each other is not offensive but a lifted finger is?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
if it was done as an "inside joke" as AJ said... I was saying I hope that its the end of it...
The point of the game is to get the ball at one end of the field to the other and score, with hopes that no one gets hurt in the meantime. Yes, its likely someone does... but thankfully we don't have to put up with someone flipping the bird every time a flag gets thrown or a excellent play gets made.
Kind of like comparing ladies ankles being shown now isn't it?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think apologizing was the smartest thing he could of done. Most Packer fans are class acts, just like the team they adore and they probably don't care for such a thing. Hawk's apology will go a long way to fans. At least he didn't shrug it off like it was no big thing. He acknowledged it and owned it. Hopefully now he knows to keep that in the locker room!!!

Well said.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they repeat, Hawk has publicly apologized already.

My whole point is, too much of a big deal is being made out of this.

We believe that men trying to hurt each other is not offensive but a lifted finger is?

I agree that too big a deal is being made of it, but I don't think the gesture is harmless. People get in fist fights or worse over that stupid finger. It's not the finger that's at fault, it's people giving a finger power over themselves and their emotions. Like I said, you try pulling that finger in Philly and see how harmless it is. People get wigged out by it, more than they should. It has negative significance. Compare it to the thumbs up sign. If Hawk had given his bench the thumbs up, nobody would bother. Giving somebody the finger is kind of like sign language for a curse word.

It isn't harmless, people just overreact and give it too much power.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS makes a good point. Look at our society! People go all ******* over a finger but men bashing their heads together and nobody blinks an eye? wth?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try flipping somebody the bird while driving around Philly. If you are lucky you will land up at the bottom of the river counting the fishes.
If that's lucky in Philly then I certainly don't wanna know what unlucky is.
Oh wait.
Maybe I do.
Is that having Michael Vick playing for the home team which your a fan of when your also a dog lover?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I don't get a whole lot of sacks, so I was excited," Hawk said. "I just got up and it happened. Like I said, I apologize, but I didn't really think about it at the time. A lot of times I get stuck in that game mode and don't really worry about who's around me or the team or the fans."

I can excuse him for getting caught up in the moment and doing something he shouldn't have.
I've done that.
We all make mistakes.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The middle finger is less offensive than about 90% of the advertisements that run during games and on ESPN. They advertise horror movies, trashy sitcoms, hard liquor and ***** pills on TV during every hour of every day.

Eminem is the soundtrack for Chrysler ads and it's the classiest ad that runs during a football game.

Edit: good filter.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The middle finger is less offensive than about 90% of the advertisements that run during games and on ESPN. They advertise horror movies, trashy sitcoms, hard liquor and ***** pills on TV during every hour of every day.

Eminem is the soundtrack for Chrysler ads and it's the classiest ad that runs during a football game.

Edit: good filter.
We all have to choose our battles which may include what offends us.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just now watching the game, and just came up on that part.... regardless if it was provoked,.. Really AJ??
National televised game, with young ones watching,... ughhh

I'd be more impressed with you walking away from any provocation, than seeing you react with such a juvenile gesture.:unsure:

Awesome title btw!!! :tup: *and no thats not the middle finger! LOL!!!

It actually wasn't nationally televised. I only got to watch it because of the Sunday Ticket.

Members online

No members online now.