Hawk.. Starting slow?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher might be the only guy in the NFL with the size and speed to cover Gates one-on-one. I think the defensive game plan was the right one though. Let Rivers and Gates try to beat you instead of LT.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:
seemed to play better against the chargers apart from beening burned by gates every time but there anit many people who can keep up with gates

I thought Bush was on Gates for most of the game (correct that, supposed to be on Bush for most of the game, no one was even near him for the most part). AJ looked pretty good early on, but didn't seem to be around the ball much after the first quarter (could have been because they went away from him). LT did make him look pretty bad on that one play in the first half though (not really a lot of shame in that though - he's made a lot of guys look bad).

I think I remember that play. Hawk didn't seal the edge and LT went right around him. Was a bad play by Hawk.

Hawk had 11 tackles so I don't think it was only the first quarter that he had them.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher might be the only guy in the NFL with the size and speed to cover Gates one-on-one. I think the defensive game plan was the right one though. Let Rivers and Gates try to beat you instead of LT.

I think Ed Reed could cover him and I think Champ Bailey could do. Those in my opinion are the two best defensive backs in the game today so I would think it could happen.

Though I don't believe Denver uses Champ on Gates when the play. I really am not sure.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I think Ed Reed could cover him and I think Champ Bailey could do. Those in my opinion are the two best defensive backs in the game today so I would think it could happen.

Though I don't believe Denver uses Champ on Gates when the play. I really am not sure.

Gates is too physical for Bailey IHO, he is an average blocker but for hard to jam at the line. Bailey in my opinion would get caught up in the fray in the middle of the field. He is a matchup problem no doubt.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
TOPackerFan said:

Gates is too physical for Bailey IHO, he is an average blocker but for hard to jam at the line. Bailey in my opinion would get caught up in the fray in the middle of the field. He is a matchup problem no doubt.

Don't press him. Bailey ran a 4.2 in the 40. No way Gates could out run him. Gates lining up on the line would be trouble but San Diego splits him out wide and lines him up in the slot a lot and that's where Bailey would be ok.

Inside the 5 yard line, I don't think anyone could cover him one on one though. You'd need a big physical safety to do so. Someone like Sean Taylor with Bailey's cover skills and Moss' vertical.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I think he's too big for either Bailey or Reed, but what do I know.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Mortfini said:
seemed to play better against the chargers apart from beening burned by gates every time but there anit many people who can keep up with gates

I thought Bush was on Gates for most of the game (correct that, supposed to be on Bush for most of the game, no one was even near him for the most part). AJ looked pretty good early on, but didn't seem to be around the ball much after the first quarter (could have been because they went away from him). LT did make him look pretty bad on that one play in the first half though (not really a lot of shame in that though - he's made a lot of guys look bad).

I think I remember that play. Hawk didn't seal the edge and LT went right around him. Was a bad play by Hawk.

Hawk had 11 tackles so I don't think it was only the first quarter that he had them.

Not to nitpick, but he had 5 tackles (I know because I have him on my fantasy team) and 6 assissts. I thought he played his best game of the season so far, he just didn't make any big plays. I really hope he breaks out vs. the Queenies and Bears.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
Mortfini said:

Not to nitpick, but he had 5 tackles (I know because I have him on my fantasy team) and 6 assissts. I thought he played his best game of the season so far, he just didn't make any big plays. I really hope he breaks out vs. the Queenies and Bears.

No, he didn't make any big plays. But 11 tackles is 11 tackles. That means you are involved in 11 stops. They count that for everyone.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
TOPackerFan said:

I think he's too big for either Bailey or Reed, but what do I know.

In the red zone yes but out in space where Reed and Bailey can run for him then I think it's possible. I have that much respect for Reed and Bailey though. I'm sure on some days Gates would be better and on others vice versa.