Hawk.. Starting slow?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
So far it looks if Hawk is comming out of the gate a little slow this year, he isn't playing horrible (although he got ran over on the one tackle attempt) but he really hasn't made any standout plays. Soph slump?

Hopefully he starts to make a few more big plays. Not knocking him, it was the same with last year, took a couple games to really get going. Here is to a repeat season.

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as he makes the plays when we need them its fine by me.
are D gives up yards , but not alot of points so far. thats the bottom line.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He's third on the team in tackles with 9, just behind Barnett (20) and Bigby (13). If he was missing tackles and getting run over and passed on, then I'd be concerned. Right now, from what I hear on my lil ole TV is that offenses see Hawk as our 2nd best player on Defense so that leads me to believe offenses want to stay away from him.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he's been solid. Just like the D as a whole. Nothing spectacular, but we have played two reasonably high-octane offenses. But they've made stops when neccessary. I still think that they can be dominant, but maybe they need a little better playcalling.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far it looks if Hawk is comming out of the gate a little slow this year, he isn't playing horrible (although he got ran over on the one tackle attempt) but he really hasn't made any standout plays. Soph slump?

Hopefully he starts to make a few more big plays. Not knocking him, it was the same with last year, took a couple games to really get going. Here is to a repeat season.

Nick Barnett is stealing the show right now.
There will be games when Hawk will steal the show.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree ive noticed that AJ seems to be in the wrong place during plays. Im not knocking him, during several replays on running yards he was bighting on the wrong holes. I mean lets be honest guys weve beaten the Giants and the Eagles.... all be it the Eagles were coming into the year hyped......i think everyone would agree there not a front runner in the nfc east to win the division. with that being said im looking forward to next week against an afc juggernaut

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One thing that bothers me about Hawk is the fact that he doesn't attack LOS very often. But that's usually because they don't run to his side as well. He stays back and thats part of what a WLB does is cover the cutback. He's been considerably better in coverage so far this year. He layed out shockey and the other Giants TE a couple times today.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really dont have a clue what u guys r on about i watched the whole game vs the giants and 60% of the eagles game and i think hawk has been in our top 3 players on defence

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really dont have a clue what u guys r on about i watched the whole game vs the giants and 60% of the eagles game and i think hawk has been in our top 3 players on defence

That's crazy. Hawk has been invisible for the first two games (except for vs. the Giants when he was in the TV screen running three steps behind Jeremy Shockey).

Hawk has 8 tackles so far this season, which is a joke for a WLB. He really hasn't played very well so far. I really don't see much of a difference right now between him and Poppinga.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Mortfini said:

That's crazy. Hawk has been invisible for the first two games (except for vs. the Giants when he was in the TV screen running three steps behind Jeremy Shockey).

Hawk has 8 tackles so far this season, which is a joke for a WLB. He really hasn't played very well so far. I really don't see much of a difference right now between him and Poppinga.

I was thinking the same thing. No stand out plays, hasn't gotten there on the blitzes, penalties, and a few blown coverages. I hope he steps back up . . . and soon, considered who we are playing next week.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Mask some time, he will be fine. The Mask might not live up to his top 5 draft status but i think in time he will be a solid 10 - 15 year starter with a pro bowl or 2 in there. At this point in his career, as long as he is not a liability, he's doing alright i think.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk has been decent, but there's been no WOW factor from him in these first two games. That's a little disappointing, because he had that WOW factor late last season and again in training camp. He should be fine though. I think Zero may be right about other teams scheming around him. The good news is that the defense is playing very well even without Hawk playing his best.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree ive noticed that AJ seems to be in the wrong place during plays. Im not knocking him, during several replays on running yards he was bighting on the wrong holes. I mean lets be honest guys weve beaten the Giants and the Eagles.... all be it the Eagles were coming into the year hyped......i think everyone would agree there not a front runner in the nfc east to win the division. with that being said im looking forward to next week against an afc juggernaut

Well, I think the Eagles ARE, in fact, the frontrunners to win the East and they ran into a better defense than they could handle when they played us and we handled the Giants like we should have.

This is six wins in row now and still the "ya but" guys hanging around. I guess crap like this is going to get posted until we go undefeated. Geesh.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think the Eagles ARE, in fact, the frontrunners to win the East and they ran into a better defense than they could handle when they played us and we handled the Giants like we should have.

This is six wins in row now and still the "ya but" guys hanging around. I guess crap like this is going to get posted until we go undefeated. Geesh.[/quote]

The Eagles are front runnere????? How about Dallas!!!!!!

The 6 wins in a row has to stop....Brett said the same thing, we got 2 wins this is a new year and a new crop of players. What happend last year doesnt matter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same thing with Woodson. He's not playing bad and it's to early to be talking about slump. He hasn't been great but not horrible either. A lot of teams are starting to go after him more and that is why Barnett has been freed up to kind of run around on the field and make plays.

I'm fairly confident Hawk will be fine as will the defense. Next week if he can contain Ladainian Tomlinson, that'll be a big moral boost for the defense win or lose.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:

Can anyone name me SOMEONE off the defense that stood out yesterday?

I'm still wondering where Hawk blew coverages? Shockey had 5 catches for the game and TWO of them were on Hawk in man to man coverage. That's pretty good if you ask me. They also don't run at Hawks side very often and he covers the cutback like a good WLB is supposed to. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means, but this singling out crap is stupid when there were a litter of poor plays from defensive personell yesterday. That be including Woodson and Harris.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is that Hawk was picked #5 overall in a deep draft class. He's not supposed to be just good, he's supposed to be great and he hasn't been.

The only guy I noticed consistently was Nick Barnett, who had another really good game if you ask me.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is that Hawk was picked #5 overall in a deep draft class. He's not supposed to be just good, he's supposed to be great and he hasn't been.

The only guy I noticed consistently was Nick Barnett, who had another really good game if you ask me.

Well that's where we disagree I don't think NB had that good of a game. I think like Hawk he was ok.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our LB's are starting to get to know each other and playing like a unit. I loved when Poppinga shoved Burress after he took that cheap shot on Hawk.

I notice our D has a lot more attitude this year. But controlled attitude. I understand protecting your teammates (Poppinga). But I love how Toomer took a low shot at NB's knees and Barnett just stood there over him. Then Toomer got in his face and drew a 15 yard penalty.

Our defense = Controlled Nastiness!!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Bob McGinn has to say about Hawk's play thus far. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but I think it's spot on.

"A.J. Hawk is off to a very average start. In some ways, he is starting to play like Nick Barnett used to play. Barnett is becoming the more physical of the two even though he's 15 pounds lighter. Barnett is attacking guards and the center before they can lower the boom on him, then scraping off and finding the ball. His temperament is outstanding. On the other hand, Hawk seems slow to see and go. He was fooled on a draw and a bootleg, had some problems downfield with Jeremy Shockey in coverage and delivered just one smashing hit."

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Bob McGinn has to say about Hawk's play thus far. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but I think it's spot on.

"A.J. Hawk is off to a very average start. In some ways, he is starting to play like Nick Barnett used to play. Barnett is becoming the more physical of the two even though he's 15 pounds lighter. Barnett is attacking guards and the center before they can lower the boom on him, then scraping off and finding the ball. His temperament is outstanding. On the other hand, Hawk seems slow to see and go. He was fooled on a draw and a bootleg, had some problems downfield with Jeremy Shockey in coverage and delivered just one smashing hit."

I agree with Bob about Hawk vs the run. That will change as the season goes on, but also it could be part of his role in the system. However I disagree with "having trouble in coverage with shockey" as shockey had 5 catches overall, but only 2 on Hawk.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I agree with Bob about Hawk vs the run. That will change as the season goes on, but also it could be part of his role in the system. However I disagree with "having trouble in coverage with shockey" as shockey had 5 catches overall, but only 2 on Hawk.

Agreed. Also, it should be noted that Shockey is one of the best receiving tight ends in the league.

Members online

Latest posts