Hawk on Yahoo's "All Overrated Team"

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that hawk isnt a great LB he is good enough but not great. And also I would agree that his numbers are down from last year. But tackles are a weird stat, a lot of times a half tackle here and tackle there could easily be credited to someone else involved in the tackle itself. But what I dont agree with is that he is actually rated much higher than his performance is showing, we've always known he can't cover, is OK at blitzing and OK at defending the run. Last year he proved he could step up and also "qb" the defense, that's why we resigned him not that he was some great talent or even a top 5 ILB in the league. I would say maybe his biggest disappointment is in the fact that he was drafted so high, but being a long term starter in this league is a good accomplishment regardless if you put up HOF numbers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just weird and wrong to think of AJ being overrated.
He's not in the limelight enough to warrant such thoughts.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its been pretty clear on here that I am no AJ hawk fan so I feel no reason to pile on.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with FF you have to be talk about a lot in positive ways to be "overrated".

If there was an "underrated" list, Bishop should be on it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Bishop has been very ho-hum this year, IMO. A step back from last year....

Yeah, I noticed that too. Some of these guys who really stepped up their game at the end of the season last year have been kind of ho-hum this year. What gives?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop has been very ho-hum this year, IMO. A step back from last year....
Bishop is 2nd in the NFL in tackles right now.
Sure he can't cover Antonio Gates one-on-one, but he's been very good in the middle for us.
And he leads our team in sacks right now, halfway thru the season.

I'm not sure that's a step down from last year TBH.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that hawk isnt a great LB he is good enough but not great. And also I would agree that his numbers are down from last year. But tackles are a weird stat, a lot of times a half tackle here and tackle there could easily be credited to someone else involved in the tackle itself. But what I dont agree with is that he is actually rated much higher than his performance is showing, we've always known he can't cover, is OK at blitzing and OK at defending the run. Last year he proved he could step up and also "qb" the defense, that's why we resigned him not that he was some great talent or even a top 5 ILB in the league. I would say maybe his biggest disappointment is in the fact that he was drafted so high, but being a long term starter in this league is a good accomplishment regardless if you put up HOF numbers.

Are tackles a relevant stat?

From last season the Ravens had:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Player_Roster/Statistics.aspx

Opponents had these plays:

384 rushes
+349 pass completions
+27 sacks (tackles not in above stats)
-27 TDs (no tackles)
-73 plays (figure 10% of plays) there is no tackle (runs out of bounds)

This leaves 653 potential plays for a tackle.

The Ravens report 963 tackles. Thats about 1.5 tackles per play.

I'm too lazy too go back, but I did this a few years ago and they had over 2.5 tackles per play.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Are tackles a relevant stat?

From last season the Ravens had:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Player_Roster/Statistics.aspx

Opponents had these plays:

384 rushes
+349 pass completions
+27 sacks (tackles not in above stats)
-27 TDs (no tackles)
-73 plays (figure 10% of plays) there is no tackle (runs out of bounds)

This leaves 653 potential plays for a tackle.

The Ravens report 963 tackles. Thats about 1.5 tackles per play.

I'm too lazy too go back, but I did this a few years ago and they had over 2.5 tackles per play.

So I have this image in my head of the poor running back getting tackled, then getting up and getting tackled again, then getting up....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop is 2nd in the NFL in tackles right now.
Sure he can't cover Antonio Gates one-on-one, but he's been very good in the middle for us.
And he leads our team in sacks right now, halfway thru the season.

I'm not sure that's a step down from last year TBH.

I just go by what my eyes tell me, and I see a guy who isn't moving and flowing as fast as last season.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even agree that Hawk is good in defense. . He is an average player at best and at worst he is a liability. I would give him the average grade due to his ability to QB the defense and the fact that he is apparently assignment sure. He is a liability because he is slow, doesn't cover well and at times looks like he doesn't want to tackle. Sure, he will pile on as the 2nd or 3rd tackler on any given play but I see too many times on plays where he is trailing the receiver, stone-walled by blockers or blown up by RBs.

I'm not expecting the next coming of Ray Nitschke at LB but I would like to see a better and more hard-nosed athlete than Hawk has been. If we want to improve our LB corps, it is obvious that we need another OLB to partner up with Matthews but then next priority on the list should be to upgrade Hawk's ILB position if possible.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason Hawk even makes an "overrated" team is because of his draft position. As far as I'm concerned, you have to be at least "rated" to be "overrated," haha. Hawk is just mediocre, there's not a lot of people who think otherwise.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The funniest thing in that article is Albert Haynesworth

Remember when the Pats got him and everyone was saying how that was Super Bowl moves? ESPN said it was another move by "genius" Bellichek, and they just cut him lol

I hate to say it, but our defense all around has not been great this year with the exception of Woodson and interceptions. Hawk is just one of many that could be getting heat.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Yahoo says, huh?

Anybody remember this gem from Yahoo in 2005?

DAY 1 WINNERS

Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett
Not only does the guy end up going higher than anyone thought possible – the last pick in the third round – he lands with a team that suits his skills perfectly. The Denver Broncos have become a factory when it comes to transforming guys like Clarett into 1,000-yard rushers. Oh, and the third round might have been his best-case scenario last year, so Clarett essentially lost no ground in the past 12 months

Day 1 Losers
Green Bay Packers
Getting Rodgers at the 24th pick is nice, but the Packers failed to make any choice that will make an immediate impact on next season's team. And that's not good when you have an aging icon like Brett Favre who is constantly teetering on retirement. Beyond Rodgers, safety Nick Collins was an atrocious reach in the second round, and wide receiver Terrence Murphy is not a need whatsoever.

Members online

Latest posts