Hawk Looks Like His Old Self

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... NTCAROUSEL

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said A.J. Hawk “was flying around” and “looked like his normal self” in his return to practice — positive signs for the starting weak-side linebacker’s chances for playing in Monday’s regular-season opener against Minnesota.

Hawk, who never missed a practice or game at Ohio State or in his first two NFL seasons, hadn’t practiced since straining a muscle in his chest in the preseason opener on Aug. 11. But he was wearing a helmet and shoulder pads as he went through individual drills during the portion of Thursday’s practice that was open to the media and later “was right in the middle of it” during contact drills, according to McCarthy.

“In his mind, he feels he has been ready for quite some time,” McCarthy said of Hawk, who was listed as a limited participant on the injury report.

“So, it is a combination of the individual and it is a combination of the doctor’s report. As far the movement and so forth, I think he is really past all of those stages, whether it’s pushing, reaching, pulling. It’s just a matter of Pat McKenzie, our doctor, clearing him to play.”

Health watch
McCarthy also provided a positive spin on the tests center Scott Wells underwent on Tuesday after sustaining a setback in his recovery from recurring lower back problems. However, Wells’ status remains muddled.

“They feel they may have a handle on it,” McCarthy said. “Scott is going to get some treatment I think (Thursday), and it could be one day or it could be a couple of weeks. I talked to him right before practice. He was very encouraged with his visit, and we’ll see how he feels (this) morning.”

Wells was not ruled out for Monday’s game on the injury report, but it seems highly unlikely he’ll play, leaving Jason Spitz to fill in at center and Tony Moll to take Spitz’s place at right guard.

The only player who was ruled out on the injury report was guard Josh Sitton (knee), though receiver James Jones (knee) also did not practice and seems like a long shot to be active. Running back Ryan Grant (hamstring) and end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) were full participants in practice, while safety Atari Bigby (ankle), tackle Chad Clifton (knee/chest), safety Charlie Peprah (hamstring), end Jeremy Thompson (groin), linebacker Tracy White (ankle) and cornerback Charles Woodson (rest) were listed as limited participants.

Asked about Gbaja-Biamila — who, barring a setback with his troublesome right knee, has a favorable matchup on Monday against a fill-in starter at left tackle, Artis Hicks — McCarthy said the veteran pass rusher practiced well earlier this week and “looked very explosive out there” on Thursday.

Stock speaks
Three days after the Packers swapped punters, cutting Jon Ryan and signing fifth-year pro Derrick Frost, special teams coordinator Mike Stock said Ryan’s failure to improve his get-away time played a major role in the team’s decision.

“That’s been slow for two years,” Stock said. “I’m not throwing Ryan under the bus — I’m just saying (get-away time is) one of those things we’ve been working on the whole entire time. This guy (Frost)’s a true two-step kicker and gets the ball away in a very early time, and that’s very important for the protection element.”

Ryan converted to a two-step punting technique during the 2007 offseason, but at times reverted to his old technique. Though Ryan’s net average improved significantly last season — from 35.7 yards as a rookie in 2006 to 37.6, moving him from 26th in the NFL to 14th — he had one notably poor performance on Dec. 23 at Chicago and had two punts blocked. This preseason, he had one punt partially blocked and another returned for a touchdown.

“Coach McCarthy and Ted (Thompson, the general manager) and I were not happy with (Ryan’s) progress, that’s the big point,” Stock said. “You come in on Mondays and talk about the same problems, the same things we needed to improve upon, particularly one element and you want to get better, and you keep working to get better and you spend the offseason physically, to diligently get better, and those things keep occurring week after week.

“You have to change. Eventually, you have to change. In order to help yourself, you need to change. Evidently — don’t get me wrong, it is not easy, but that’s part of the deal.”

Jackson practices
Earlier this week, Vikings coach Brad Childress answered a question about Tarvaris Jackson’s health by jokingly saying his starting quarterback was moving around “like a pirate with a wooden leg.”

Jackson, who has a sprained right knee, was listed as a full participant in practice on Thursday.

“He looks like he’s got a prosthetic now,” Childress quipped.

Former Packers receiver Robert Ferguson (ankle) was limited, while running back Maurice Hicks (foot) and safety Madieu Williams (neck) did not participate. Williams isn’t expected to play.

Iron man?
Childress also offered an obscure metaphor when describing Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who will make his first NFL start on Monday.

“A very, very smart guy,” Childress said. “Obviously, has good tools in throwing the football — all you have to do is watch that first throw in the Tennessee game (a 68-yard catch-and-run touchdown to Greg Jennings on Aug. 28). I think he has good stature. I think he can see.

“I don’t think he’s an iron deer on the lawn that just sits there and can’t move. I think he can move his feet and create plays with his feet.”

Etc.
Asked about new snapper Brett Goode, signed to replace injured rookie J.J. Jansen, Stock said: “I’m very happy about this guy. I think this guy’s got a good snap and he’s got good size, and I think he’s very capable. We’ll see what happens in the game, but I think this guy’s got something to him. I’m impressed.” … McCarthy said Woodson would practice today. Clifton is expected to sit out again and practice Saturday.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Childress said:
“I don’t think he’s an iron deer on the lawn that just sits there and can’t move.

Brad Childress, master of the metaphor. If he put as much time into preparing for the game as he did thinking up that gem, we'll be in good shape.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Few thoughts

Nice tidbits on Ryan the punter and why he was let go.. I was surprised as all hell to hear he got booted...Made no sense, still little hard to grasp, but at least now some reasoning behind it.

Maybe Hawk does all the right things 110% of the time, so the team was not to worried about him not playing or practicing?? In other words, they know he isnt one to dog it in practice or during a work out, so they took extra care with him till he was 100%

Madieu Williams is the guy they spent all that money on right? hope he heals up fast

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike bat said:
im glad he will start ... i think hawk could have a standout year ...

I agree, i imagine with his worth ethic and approach to the game, he can only go up. I'm hoping him and Barnett have a great year

walleye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack4life said:
mike bat said:
im glad he will start ... i think hawk could have a standout year ...

I agree, i imagine with his worth ethic and approach to the game, he can only go up. I'm hoping him and Barnett have a great year

Yes they wiill have a GREAT YEAR!! :beer: :rofl:

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
He is gonna introduce himself to AP many many times Monday night.... of course AP will be laying on his back looking up !

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping he knocks the stuffing out of AP a few times. Nothing like that "dazed" look throughout the game!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts