Hawk looks like he belongs

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

A.J. Hawk wasn't interested in the fine print.

The 33-page document in front of him guaranteed millions of dollars, and it essentially assured him the starting weak-side linebacker job with the Green Bay Packers. Hawk hastily read his first NFL contract as if it were a race to the dotted line.

It wasn't that he couldn't wait to get paid. It was because he couldn't wait to go to work. The Packers' first-round draft pick was dressed for success — his first NFL practice — and executing legal documents wasn't a priority.

"That stuff, that's why you hire an agent you trust," Hawk said Thursday. "I trust him. I didn't even care. I said, 'Get me into camp and we're fine.' He got me into camp. That's part of the game now. It's weird you're getting paid to play. That's different."

So is Hawk.

The 22-year-old seems wise beyond his years, and he's far from being wet behind the ears. This spring, Hawk became a husband, a homeowner and a NFL linebacker in the span of several months.

Hawk and his wife, Laura, made an offer on a home here the day after the draft. They moved in soon after the offer was accepted.

Hawk admits he and his wife catch themselves wondering when their parents will be home.

"My wife and I were saying to my parents that it feels weird just the two of us here," Hawk said. "The place is too nice. We feel like we're too young to have this and my mom said, 'You are too young.'"

Laura Hawk is the sister of Notre Dame's quarterback, Brady Quinn. She also is a stunning young woman.

"A lot of times people recognize her first," Hawk said. "It's like they recognize her, and then they say, 'A.J. Hawk — we thought that was you.' That's great. I don't mind that a bit. If she gets all the attention, it's fine with me."

Hawk isn't here to get noticed. He's here to play football.

In two games, he has shown why the Packers thought they got the best defensive player in the draft. Against New Orleans, Hawk swept guards aside to make plays. He chased down Reggie Bush, the Saints' first-round pick, with a tremendous sideline-to-sideline burst. He held up in pass coverage.

"This is my third week, and every day I feel better in the system," he said.

Every day, the Packers feel better about having drafted him. In a season with few bright spots, the No. 5 pick in the NFL draft is among the brightest.

Hawk is improving steadily and is meshing with middle linebacker Nick Barnett and strong-side linebacker Brady Poppinga.

"It's a process," he said. "Once we get some wins, it will be a lot easier knowing how we're coming along. There's times when we're playing great and there's times when we're not consistent. It's tough losing. It's something I'm not used to, and I'll never get used to. We're dedicated to getting it right."

So far, Hawk has made good on his promise. Why doubt him now?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I've said before I can't wait to see Hawk by midseason.

Although, this is the same loser writer that said hawk couldn't cut it at the NFL level.

lionmaster420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see how hawk fares against the lions this weekend, i really wanted detroit to draft him but all in all im happy with ernie sims, that man is a pyscho!!!!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Zero2Cool said:
So far, Hawk has made good on his promise. Why doubt him now?

Who's doubting him? I haven't heard anything negative about the "Always Jammin'" Hawk.

Isn't that ironic? LOL Havel "doubts" Hawk throughout training camp and now its "why doubt him now??"

Members online

Latest posts