Hawk: All Part of the Process

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk apparently is doing a journal type thing for nfl.com, wasn't sure on the guidelines as far as posting things but here is the article and link.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9349207

(March 31, 2006) -- I'm back at school now and spring quarter started on Monday (March 27) so things have been very busy. I have one last class to take before graduating in June with my degree in criminology. Classes are four days a week so it's a full schedule. I also am interviewing with teams on the phone and in person. Between that and working out, my day actually gets pretty full. I don't want to make it sound like my schedule is any busier than any other college athletes though. Any college athlete goes through this; just instead of practice I do interviews and work out. Everybody is busy when you are in college; it's just a difference of activities.

Preparing for the NFL draft has been a full-time activity. First, there was the Scouting Combine, then Pro Day and now there are individual team workouts and interviews. Some are in person and some interviews are on the phone. It's fun thinking about playing in the NFL, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. I know it's a cliché, but I'm just taking things one step at a time. I grew up a Bengals fan, but I'd honestly be happy to play anywhere. Playing at Ohio State makes playing in cold weather a non-factor and I really don't mind moving to any part of the country.

I started to think about the NFL some time around my junior year. That is probably when I first realized that I could end up being a player in the NFL and hoping it would happen. I went to high school and played college football with Mike Nugent, who was drafted by the Jets last year as their kicker. He's given me some good advice about how to manage everything and some of the other guys on OSU and I talk often about it, so hopefully we are staying grounded through the process. There are a lot of Ohio State players in the NFL, so I know a little about what to expect. But you really need to do these things yourself to figure it all out.

I'm planning on heading up to Notre Dame on April 22nd for their spring game. Brady Quinn and I are friends now and I want to go see the game. I was at Notre Dame once when my brother was being recruited there, but I don't remember it well. I'm looking forward to seeing the campus and the stadium up close.

I've always been a fan of the draft so I can't wait for April 29th. I'm going to be watching it with my family at home. This year's draft will be a great one. There are so many great players in it at all positions -- (Reggie) Bush and (Matt) Leinart and (Vince) Young and (D'Brickashaw) Ferguson. It's such a deep class that watching as a fan will be great, let alone as someone who could be drafted.

The next few weeks should be pretty exciting and I look forward to the excitement of graduating and moving on to the next stage of my life.

Reaction score
Hm, nice read, thanks smultz.

Interesting, he is definitly keeping busy. I find it interesting that he doesn't mention Mario Williams by name when he talks about the "great" players in the draft, but it might be me blowing it out of proportion.

It's nice to know this kid has his head on straight. He is hard working, dedicated, and committed. Solid combination, and this kid will have an EXCELLENT future, IMO.

On a completly unrelated note, I like this guy even more after finding out he is also getting a degree in Criminology, just like me! Yeah, whose cool? :D :p

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, i think he'd be a great packer. i will be disappointed if we don't get him, or vernon davis. i think hawk would be the best pickup for us though

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this even more sweet is I am going to be going to South Bend to see their Spring Game on the 22nd as well! Would be incredible if I managed to see him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
What makes this even more sweet is I am going to be going to South Bend to see their Spring Game on the 22nd as well! Would be incredible if I managed to see him.

smlutz....you a domer?

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I have never been out there and I got the opportunity to go, so I said why not? Should be a great time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts