Havvel article on bubba

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Soory no premium posts from me. Ive been at a usar collapse school for 3 weeks. no laptop. Sure did miss it though. I will try and post all the arts everyday.

Chris Havel
Packers shouldn

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By NFL rules the Packers have the right to make Bubba Franks their transition player.

Mike Sherman has put the Packer organization's back to the wall in regards to their salary cap situiation, which obviously is the reason why Thompson made Franks the transistion player.

Franks has to respect that decision as a team player and move on. After the 2005 season he will be free to sign with any team he wishes and get the money he wants.

Holding out will only ruin his chances for a good season and more money in 2006.

Thompson should stay the course.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the handling of this situation either. I hate the franchise tag and the transition tag because I think teams are using them in bad faith. But on the other hand, is Bubba really worth 3.5 to $4 million per year? I doubt it. In the offseason, he generated zero interest in the market. He's a good tight end, but not a gamebreaker. I doubt that opponents of the Packers spend a lot of time game planning to stop Bubba Franks. Maybe the best solution at this point is to do what the Seahawks did with Sean Alexander, which is to have him play for the amount specified by the tag but with the understanding that they won't use the tag on him again next year.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they cannot work something out with Bubba. As long as Bubba and his agent don't over value Bubba badly the Packers need him and will pay what he is worth.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg - exactly, 3.5-4?!? He's obviously valuable or we wouldn't be discussing this right now, but he's also got to start catching the ball outside of the 20 yard line if he wants to make that sort of money.

I respect him a lot more than some of the other holdouts (esp. since he's not really holding out), but he too has to realize his value isn't what he thinks it is...he hardly raised an eyebrow this offseason.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Bubba's a great player and I think that TT is looking to pay him a reasonable long-term contract that would average $2.5 million/year. No matter what salary cap room you've got, it doesn't make sense to grossly overpay.

I only wish that we had some more insurance with the backups right now. It's hard to believe that Martin is still around. Steele still needs to show better consistency catching. Apparently McHugh is a solid blocker, but not much of a receiver.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba is certainly a very solid TE, but he also certainly is not amoung the elite TEs. His asking price is, without a doubt, high. If he were truely worth what they are asking some team would have offered it because the Packers would not be able to match it. It seems for that reason the Packers started out low. If one side digs in we are most likely in trouble. But if they are both reasonable they should be able to meet somewhere in between.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i think Bubba's stock would have risen if they would throw to him more often...like they used to do...

i think Rossley doesn't understand that a tight-end is also a receiver, and not just an extra tackle, so that he can try to run the same running play 3 times before he has to punt....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You raise a good point p66

I'm not exactly sure why Bubba vanishes prior to the 20. Is it that he's used so frequently for blocking (run & pass), Brett forgets him, the packers neglect to call plays where the TE finds open space in the middle...

I honestly don't know, but I assume it isn't because Bubba is lacking skills.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another enlightening article about this scenario and it illuminates the situation from the Player's standpoint, but also his Agent's attentiveness...

Contract issues hold Franks out

from article said:
Franks, who has played in all 86 games as a Packer and all 36 during three seasons at the University of Miami, is in great shape and wouldn't need much preparation time.

Not only has Franks played in three Pro Bowls, he also is regarded as a solid person and team-oriented player. It's highly unlikely that the Packers wouldn't increase their offer because they have no suitable replacement and they'd risk alienating some fans because Franks has done just about everything right.

You people remember the articles that were out earlier in the year about Miami Alumni and the workout program they have (?) - and also about how the NFL should (also) already be doing (demanding?) this....???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts