Havel on Crack????

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joshua, Wisconsin Rapids, WI: Everyone can agree that this is a rebuilding year for the Packers. From a casual observer it appears that the Packers have not identified who they are building around? On offense, besides Jennings all the skill players are close to 30 or are already older. On defense, Hawk and Barnett appear on track to be something special, but the rest don't strike me as being anything more than average. Therefore, who are the players currently on the roster that are realistically going to be the cornerstones of the next Packer title contender?

ch: I disagree that this is a rebuilding year. The Packers are trying to win games. The "young team" excuse is getting real old. This isn't a young team. Will Henderson. Donald Driver. Mark Tauscher. Brett Favre. Ahman Green. Bubba Franks. Chad Clifton. Scott Wells. KGB. Aaron Kampman. Nick Barnett. Al Harris. Charles Woodson. Marquand Manuel. Nick Collins. Ryan Pickett. Ben Taylor. Colin Cole. Kenderick Allen. Robert Ferguson. David Martin. Donald Lee. That isn't exactly The Lil' Rascals. Please, stop with this "rebuilding" and "young team" talk. It's nonsense. The Packers have enough experience and talent to win a majority of their games. The schedule isn't exactly a killer, either. They need to coach and play better. The reason you haven't identified who they're building around is because the guys they're building around have - pardon the pun - been around the building a long time. A.J. Hawk, Greg Jennings, Jason Spitz, Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll are young players, but they're also playing beyond their years.

I will agree that you can find players on the squad with a great deal of NFL experience, and some with Elite, Pro Bowl experience. However, of the names he mentions only Favre, Green and maybe Driver could have ever been considered game changing, elite players. The rest are good role players, that can excel on a good team. Green is definiately on the downside of his career and can no longer be considered in this category. Favre, while also on the downside, is still capable of playing at close to an elite level. Driver is underrated in the NFL and is still playing at his peak. That gives this team 2 proven playmakers on one side of the ball, and none on the other. As for the young players mentioned, I do not think you can seriously argue that they are playing beyond their years, with the possible exception of Jennings. The reality is that this is a rebuilding team that needs an impact player on the defensive side of the ball to bring the unit together, as well as some semblence of a running game to make the offense consistently effective.

They do have experience players, and the schedule is soft - but to believe that this is or should be a playoff contending team is somewhat of a pipe dream.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my view, it COULD happen. IF the DB's can start making some plays, and Driver, Jennings and maybe Robison can all make big contributions. AND if the o line can keep the other team off Favre.
Do i expect them to make the playoffs? No. Could it happen? Yes.
With Favre, it's still possible.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spardo said:
Favre, while also on the downside, is still capable of playing at close to an elite level.

Like how you take a backhanded swipe at Favre here, Spardo....

The player TT should have rebuilt around this year is Brett Favre...with an O-Line and better WR's...then the Pack would have had a chance to compete for the playoffs.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasnt... it was an honest and truthfull assesment of Favre at 37..

majik is just a paranoid conspiracy theorist... looking for trouble.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
it wasnt... it was an honest and truthfull assesment of Favre at 37..

majik is just a paranoid conspiracy theorist... looking for trouble.

And Packnic's a name caller when he doesn't have the wits to win an argument.

There is a belief around here by some posters (a certain condescencion in their posts) that Favre is capable of having a few good games during the year, but will revert to last years form of 29 interceptions because he has ultimately "lost it", and is on the down side of his career.

It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. These posters will come out of the woodwork saying as much if the Packers lose, or if Favre has an off game.

Wait and see.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
so nick collins isn't young? wtf? Nick Barnett isn't young? Aaron Kampman isn't young?! WTF

I agree. And also it has to be a rebuilding year. it isnt an excuse but it could be a rebuilding year if for no other reason than this: We have a new coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is no real argument is the thing

you just think everyone hates brett favre when its not true

Brett is 37. He is human. age takes a toll. we all believe he is our best option and no one wants him gone so quit makin stuff up.

and i think we did build around brett. we brought in lineman who are playing well. he brought in a pro bowl wide reciever. just not the ones you wanted.

and DePack you have been calling that for awhile... and how freakin sweet would that be.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elite player argument. That is not a good one.

Elite players on the Seahawks? a couple
Elite players on the Steelers? a couple
Elite players on the Colts? three

They have some good players on well coached teams.

The real key to the difference in teams are poor players and poor players starting due to injury. Detroit had 2 of their starting secondary out and fell behind after Verba left the game.

The Packers have Manuel at Safety, and Tony Moll who has never played Guard playing Guard. They also have Poppinga coming off injury and learning pass defense as a linebacker when he was a DE in college. Those are weak spots. The other thing few Packer fans will admit unless they look at tape-Tascher and especially Clifton are not good at these new cut blocks.

In this era of parity the Packers are an average NFL team with a new(rookie) coaching staff. How they finish really depends on the coaching staff and the developement of Moll and Culver(replacing Manuel).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree with Havel and I've been saying it all along....

12-4!!!!!!

No excuses!!!!

Do you REALLY think a team with a rookie coach, two rookie coordinators, and a glaring lack of experience in the interior O-line has a decent shot at going 12-4? This sounds like a set-up to me.

Whether or not people want to use the R word (rebuilding), the Packers are going through a lot of transition this season. That doesn't mean that the coaches and players should not be held accountable for how they play, but it does mean that they are not likely to have a great season.

Wolf and Sherman both believed that the Packers could be a Super Bowl contender every year, and I believed them for awhile, but after seven years without even making it to a conference championship game, that approach was wearing thin, to say the least. Thompson has not completely torn down the roster because nobody does that anymore. But I do think that the team is likely to have two or three down years before they can get back into contention, if it's going to happen at all.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can't handle the job they shouldn't be here. Why would TT hire these guys if they couldn't get the job done? What are you saying they were hired to finish 4-12?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
If they can't handle the job they shouldn't be here. Why would TT hire these guys if they couldn't get the job done? What are you saying they were hired to finish 4-12?

No, I am saying they were hired because Thompson believes (rightly or wrongly) that they will be better for the Packers in the long run. Young players usually take a few years to hit their peak.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree with Havel and I've been saying it all along....

12-4!!!!!!

No excuses!!!!

Why do you doom us to two more losses?? :wink:

I say 14-2! (now gimme some more demural!)

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
In my view, it COULD happen. IF the DB's can start making some plays, and Driver, Jennings and maybe Robison can all make big contributions. AND if the o line can keep the other team off Favre.
Do i expect them to make the playoffs? No. Could it happen? Yes.
With Favre, it's still possible.
\\

Good post Cheesy!!!!!!!!! With Brett anything can happen...

Members online

Latest posts