Havel Column

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody have the ability to link the Chris Havel column from the GB Press Gazette. I have a feeling he is going to touch bases on the persistently predictable 2nd and long running plays that are a staple of the GB offense.

I see them coming, my guess is the D-Coord of the opponent does too!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here goes, though I think you'll be surprised.

Chris Havel
I just don’t get some of Sherman’s play calls

How ’bout those Milwaukee Bucks? It’s easy to gaze south because the Bucks are pretty good, but also because that’s the direction in which the Green Bay Packers’ season is headed.

The Packers, at 1-7, resemble a carcass with some fans and media picking at what little meat is clinging to the bones. It wasn’t pretty before the Packers’ 20-10 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, and it isn’t going to get any prettier.

The Packers aren’t quitters, but they are losers. Repeat offenders at that. You know they’re in trouble when a journeyman beats them with nine completions for 65 yards and a 39.8 passer rating.

Charlie Batch, who hasn’t started in four years, made two plays all day. He handed off to Willie Parker, who handed off to Antwaan Randle El, who took the reverse 43 yards on the game’s first play. When that happens on the first play, someone didn’t do his homework.

Batch’s other big play was a 9-yard completion to fullback Dan Kreider midway through the fourth quarter. It came after a Brett Favre pass deflected off Donald Driver’s hands and into safety Tyrone Carter’s hands for an interception. After Kreider’s catch, Duce Staley needed just three carries from the Packers’ 11 to score the clinching touchdown.

The Steelers’ defense made the game’s other big play when it parlayed a lousy play call by Packers coach Mike Sherman into a sack, a fumble, a fumble recovery and a 77-yard touchdown return by safety Troy Polamalu.

Why Sherman would expose Favre by emptying the backfield against the blitz-happy Steelers is beyond me. He said the Packers have called that play since he has been here, and that they called it before he got here. I wonder whether they’ll call it after he’s gone?

“Put that one on me,â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate that empty backfield, too. I remember one of those plays failing at a crucial time in that playoff loss at Philadelphia, leading to a sack. That's a bad formation to use against a blitz-happy team.

I don't necessarily fault Sherman for abandoning the run in the fourth quarter. The Packers needed to score quickly, and I would rather turn it over to Favre than Samkon Gado.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Sherman sucks for not calling a draw? Last week he sucked for calling a draw. Havel sucks. Anybody can call a good game on Monday.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do high school kids chant after the last tournament game and the other team loses? I think it's. "Season's Over"! I have no idea how Sherman is going to salvage this season. I do know that if I were GM, Bates would be my head coach tomorrow. Why not audition the guy and see what he's got? It would give Favre a chance to work with him and build a relationship with him. I say, let's start over now rather than wait until next year.

Reaction score
DePack said:
Now Sherman sucks for not calling a draw? Last week he sucked for calling a draw. Havel sucks. Anybody can call a good game on Monday.

Thank You DePack! You are exactly right. If MS choose a draw, Havel would run his mouth about "how can you choose a draw when you are 8 yards from a first down. It didn't work against Vikings and he should have known it wouldn't work here." But he didn't do the right thing by going for a pass? Which is it Havel? Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you get a frist down only by running or passing? Against Vikings it was supposed to be a pass, and against steeler its supposed to be a run? Give me a break. I respect the guy, but Havel should wipe his mouth, he is talking BS.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually like havel article the majority of the time, but this one doesn't really offer any interesting perspective for me. it also seems a bit thrown together.

DePack said:
Anybody can call a good game on Monday.

this is a gem of a quote right here.