Havel Article

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone link to the Chris Havel article in the premium section of the Press-Gazette?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vein popping, DePack?!? LOL!

Havel comments/addresses the issue of Sherman not knowing why he was fired. My guess is he is going to provide some background on the matter. I know some of you folks don't care much for Havel, but over the years, I have found him to be extremely insightful and typically accurate.

Back at you you cheap b@st@rd.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here you go guys:

From the Green Bay Press Gazette:

"Sherman can’t see what cost him a job

Mike Sherman caught at least one break entering his farewell news conference.

He didn’t have to open with the tired refrain, “Let’s start by going over the injury report.â€

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...I am getting so tired of people *****ing about that 4th and 1 or 4th and 26 play.

Last night USC's offense was blowing Texas' defense off the ball all night. 4th and between 1 and 2 with 2 minutes to play, about the same place on the field, Carroll goes for it. How did that work out? The bottomline is if players execute the plays like 4th and 26 it's a good call. If not it's a bad call.

BTW...thanks TO for the article.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...there were SEVERAL decisions in that one game that Sherman owns.

1. Failing to take 3 points fairly early in the game on the road was the first. Sure, he can pawn it off on Tauscher, but he should have taken the 3 points. If he MUST run on this play, do something a little faster developing...wrong play for the situation.

2. Failing to go for the 4th and 1 later in the game to ice it was the second. The Eagles D was gassed and our running game was operating at will.....and he chooses to punt and put the game in the hands of the team's weakest unit, the defense.

3. Who really knows the sequence of decision making on 4th and 26..but ultimately the HC is responsible. Did he overrule Donatell? Who knows, the bottom line is the game should not have even gotten to that point.

That seems to be a common theme with Sherman.......so often "the games should not have even gotten to that point".

And really, DePack, what does USC have to do with the Packers? Bad analogy.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This article is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!

and it is one of the major reasons I have a big problem with Sherman...

1. Can't admit his mistakes...
2. Micromanages the sh*t out of everything...
3. Places blame on others...
4. Is a poor game day coach...
5. Has major "blinders" on...especially when it comes to his staff...
6. Thinks that "working hard" on something is the same as being good..

and TO, DePack...

That 4th and 1 play call was TERRIBLE..because it depending upon pulling a guard from the other side of the line..and it was slow-developing..that is why the Eagles stuffed it...but it was dumber to try..in a playoff game like that..that early..you take the easy points....and bring in Longwell...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
This article is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!

and it is one of the major reasons I have a big problem with Sherman...

1. Can't admit his mistakes...
2. Micromanages the sh*t out of everything...
3. Places blame on others...
4. Is a poor game day coach...
5. Has major "blinders" on...especially when it comes to his staff...
6. Thinks that "working hard" on something is the same as being good..

and TO, DePack...

That 4th and 1 play call was TERRIBLE..because it depending upon pulling a guard from the other side of the line..and it was slow-developing..that is why the Eagles stuffed it...but it was dumber to try..in a playoff game like that..that early..you take the easy points....and bring in Longwell...

Pack maybe havel is right but I think that this year Sherman learned alot towards the end. I also think that the 2004 campaicn hurt Sherman when he began the play calling. (he found success) and that makes you think that you are doing well. My biggest beef with Sherman was his inability to correct Rossley. I think that Rossley would have been gone next year if Sherman would have stayed anyway.

I do feel that Sherman will be a HC in the NFL again and would not be surprised to see him with the Jets. But Detroit is also a possibility I think he would get along with the Management there he is a players coach.

I just hope that TT is not as dumb as I think he is and Gets a better coach than the one who left or we are in for a long term down turn

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course if Tausher makes his block, something he does 95% of the time Green strolls into the end zone untouched.

Listen, I'm a believer in the mantra kick it early go for it late so my real issue with Sherman in that game was not going for it on 4th & 1 in the 4th quarter but it's all water under the bridge now.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While 4th and 26 is the crown jewel, so to speak, of Sherman's blunders, here are a few others to chew on, DePack:

1. Going into a shell against KC 2 years ago allowed them back into the game they eventually stole from the Packers.

2. Shutting down the running game, which was averaging 5.2 ypc against the Bears in the first game this season. The Bears defense does 2 things well...punish the QB and WRs, and create turnovers from the havoc their D generates. The game was close and Sherman played right to Chicago's strengths.

3. The Queens game at the dome.....up 17 points at the half. Either Sherman went into his typical shell with a lead, or he got outcoached by Meathead....neither is great testament to his coaching abilities.

4. Sherman's teams never starting the season or game fast and putting themselves in a hole with regularity. Sure, MS mustered the troops and dug them out....but he led them into the hole to begin with.

These are just a few, and there are so many more from his 6 years. Point is, he never seemed to learn from his mistakes.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone for it but Christ that was two years ago. If he went for it and didn't get it what would you Monday morning QBs say......here's a hint.... see USC!

And digs we've beaten this to death but I can go back and find a dozen games that "good coaches" like Andy Reid has lost because of pisspoor playcalling, including playoffs. The funny thing is....the common denominator for all these games is that the players didn't execute the play.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't worry about other teams' coaches...I worry about the Green Bay Packers' coach.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I don't worry about other teams' coaches...I worry about the Green Bay Packers' coach.

ATTABOY!!! You got me.... but the next Green Bay Packer coach is going to make some "horrendous" calls also. It's part of being a coach. Hopefully he minimizes them!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone makes mistakes, most learn from them and avoid repeating them, Sherman never did that.

If Sherman himself is incapable of using his mistakes as learning moments, how in the hell can you expect his players to do any better. A lot of players have flatlined (progress wise) under Sherman, and many now appear to make the same mistakes over and over....."false start #76, Chad Clifton", "illegal use of the hands #28, Ahmad Carroll", "missed tackle for loss, Nick Barnett". And don't even get me started on his repeated mistakes with his coaching staff.....Slowik, Novak, Rossley, Bonamego.

Call it the trickle down affect!

MassPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not the mistakes but Sherman's attitude...stubborn.

He had to have his friends in key rolls...coaches who left said he didn't listen to them...he failed to motivate several players and then failed to get rid of them quickly...he stuck with Green and Fisher when they lost a step (how does a guy like Gado step in and out perform a guy you make first string?)

I have worked for people like Sherman...they often are successful but rarely reach "Super Bowl" heights because they do not trust others unless they are friends (even if mediocre coaches) and they have a hard time with change.

TT's "other direction" is someone who will bring together great coaches and players and get everyone in a roll where they contribute to reach and win the SB. Someone who can bring in a new face and quickly count on them to be a professional...some one who can face the fact that a friend or player cannot cut it.

To all Sherman supporter…why doesn't Sherman have five jobs offers by now given all the openings?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackAttack said:
TT's "other direction" is someone who will bring together great coaches and players and get everyone in a roll where they contribute to reach and win the SB.

This would be the same team player who:

- Talked to Brett maybe 3 times this season and could not give Sherman a direct answer to why he was being fired ?

TEAMWORK EH ?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Here you go guys:

From the Green Bay Press Gazette:

Finally, Sherman seemed deeply disappointed he wasn’t granted a seventh season or given a definitive explanation as to why he was fired.

“I asked (Thompson) for that,â€

Staff online

Members online