1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever met anyone that later became famous?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raptorman, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Aug 31, 2006
    So tonight I was watching the local news and they were talking with a former baseball player about George Steinbrenner. I told my wife that I had met him when I had my paper route back in my younger days. So that's the question, "Have you met someone that later went on to be famous?". Now this person has to have been starting out in their career, say you went to college with a player that later played in the NFL. (and of course you knew and or met him/her back then.)

Back when I was young I delivered papers for the Appleton Post Crescent, yup, I was a true paperboy. Deliver the papers, collect the money and pay for the papers I received. On my route was a couple of new apartment buildings. I had been delivering the paper to one unit for about 9 months, the guy always paid, but he always paid late. One day I go knocking on the door to collect for about 2 months of papers and someone else opens the door. He told me had been living there for the past month and the other guy had moved out. I thought I was stuck with paying for the other guys papers when the current resident offered to pay feeling the I should not get stiffed with the bill. So he paid for his and the guy who moved without paying for me. Well, the man who paid me continued the paper and paid with a tip every time. That man was Bucky Dent. He was a player at the time with the Appleton Foxes. He later of course moved up to the White Sox and then onto a few other teams.

The other player who I had on my route was a tall lanky guy by the name of Rich Gossage. He played in Appleton the same time Dent did if my memory serves me correct.

Anyone else have any good stories?
  2. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

May 6, 2010
    I went to UCLA for graduate school in the early 1980s and used to hang out at the outdoor rec pool between classes sometimes. A hot undergrad used to hang out there also in a fish net bathing suit. Her father was the registrar of the school. I used to talk to her on occasion when I got the nerve.

A few years later I was living in the Bay Area and was getting my tennis racket restrung. I glanced down at the magazine rack when I was checking out and saw her picture on the cover of one of the magazines.

I knew her by Heather. Her full name - Heather Locklear.
  3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Mar 30, 2007
    wow she is cute lol :)
  4. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Mar 5, 2010
    I met Bud Light, Jack Daniels,Jim Beam and Johnnie Walker at various times in my life...does that count?
  5. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Feb 12, 2010
    nope, they were all famous by then. oh, and :viksux:
  6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 6, 2005
    might not be well known...

But I went to high school with Floyd Heard..He wa son football team with me..I drove him to school a few times as his bus stop was on way to school and I would pass him

In 86? he was #1 in the world in track, had beaten Carl Lewis..Then tore his Achilles..

Came back from it all and was the oldest sprinter to be on a Olympic track team..

Also went to school with Mona Stephen...Who is now Deputy Chief of Staff for President Obama
  7. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Jan 11, 2010
    Dwayne Wade!