Have to win the DIV .

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said this at the start of the year and I'll stand by my comment that we HAVE to win the division in order to make the playoffs. The NFC this yr honestly has no clear cut favorite to represent in the SB but what it does have a potential 2 or 3 teams that may win 10 games or more and still not make the playoffs. I'm hoping that Dallas or Philly implodes along with Detroit and San Francisco.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
problem is there are 6 teams at.500, or lower, which can go on a run, only really guarantee of packers making playoffs is to take the North, wildcard places really up in the air at the moment

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't count on Detroit imploding like they did last year... all the Packers can do is keep winning. As Jimbo said that Dec. 28th game against Detroit will probably end-up being HUGE in deciding Div. champ AND playoffs.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Lacy back to last years form will go a long way in deciding our post-season fate. The line has played pretty well but can't seem to create holes for the RB's. If we can get our running game in sync we will be in the tournament.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I said this at the start of the year and I'll stand by my comment that we HAVE to win the division in order to make the playoffs.
No they don’t. Of course I hope the Packers win the division going away but if the playoffs were today, I believe the Packers would be the last wildcard team: They are 1 game behind the Cowboys, one-half a game behind the Eagles and Cardinals, and tied with the Lions (losing the tie breaker). They’re one game ahead of the 49ers and one and one-half games ahead of the Seahawks.

Any of the teams could go on a long winning streak and pull away from the rest and any of them could go on a damaging losing streak. So while it would be preferable no, the Packers don’t have to win the division to make the playoffs.

BTW, every team in the NFC South has negative net points (points for minus points against) and so do the 49ers. And guess which NFC team has the most net points – yep the Packers, one ahead of the Eagles and two ahead of the 'boys.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No they don’t. Of course I hope the Packers win the division going away but if the playoffs were today, I believe the Packers would be the last wildcard team: They are 1 game behind the Cowboys, one-half a game behind the Eagles and Cardinals, and tied with the Lions (losing the tie breaker). They’re one game ahead of the 49ers and one and one-half games ahead of the Seahawks.

Any of the teams could go on a long winning streak and pull away from the rest and any of them could go on a damaging losing streak. So while it would be preferable no, the Packers don’t have to win the division to make the playoffs.

BTW, every team in the NFC South has negative net points (points for minus points against) and so do the 49ers. And guess which NFC team has the most net points – yep the Packers, one ahead of the Eagles and two ahead of the 'boys.

You make valid points but at the same time I hope we stay hot and sweep the Bears and Queens along with crushing the Lions at home to split because I see Dallas, Philly, Arizona, San Fran, Seattle, and Detroit all winning at least 10 games. Going to be interesting in the NFC .

M

melvin2345

Can't count on Detroit imploding like they did last year... all the Packers can do is keep winning. As Jimbo said that Dec. 28th game against Detroit will probably end-up being HUGE in deciding Div. champ AND playoffs.

I think both Packers fans and Lions fans would LOVE to see that game basically become a division championship game. Sadly, I don't see it happening.

Looking at the Lions schedule, I think to myself, "You know, the Lions have a decent shot at getting 10-11 wins this year".

I look at the Packers schedule and think, "There is no way that Green Bay doesn't get 11+ wins this year".
Prior to week 17, the only games I would guess you're worried about are the Eagles and the Patriots, and both of those are home games for you guys.

I'm guessing by the time we play you guys again, you'll have the division locked up. and we'll be playing for a wild card spot.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ya... as of right now a person could in fact have hope for a wildcard based on the rest of the NFC.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I said this at the start of the year and I'll stand by my comment that we HAVE to win the division in order to make the playoffs. The NFC this yr honestly has no clear cut favorite to represent in the SB but what it does have a potential 2 or 3 teams that may win 10 games or more and still not make the playoffs. I'm hoping that Dallas or Philly implodes along with Detroit and San Francisco.

Thats a fair statement....there will be a good team with a good record that will be left out in the NFC this year. I see a bunch of tie breakers involved to clear it all up. A lot of games left so we shall see.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning the NO game is key for the tiebreaker with the Lions(since they already beat NO), should we end up with the same record at the end of the year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both Packers fans and Lions fans would LOVE to see that game basically become a division championship game. Sadly, I don't see it happening.

Looking at the Lions schedule, I think to myself, "You know, the Lions have a decent shot at getting 10-11 wins this year".

I look at the Packers schedule and think, "There is no way that Green Bay doesn't get 11+ wins this year".
Prior to week 17, the only games I would guess you're worried about are the Eagles and the Patriots, and both of those are home games for you guys.

I'm guessing by the time we play you guys again, you'll have the division locked up. and we'll be playing for a wild card spot.
The games that I'm worried about for the Packers are: NO, Philly, and New England heading into the finale against Detroit.
The games that the Lions could (on paper) face defeat are: Miami, Arizona & New England.
As I see it, unless the Packers or Detroit lose one that "they shouldn't" both teams could be (IMHO) 10-5 heading into week 17.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The games that I'm worried about for the Packers are: NO, Philly, and New England heading into the finale against Detroit.
The games that the Lions could (on paper) face defeat are: Miami, Arizona & New England.
As I see it, unless the Packers or Detroit lose one that "they shouldn't" both teams could be (IMHO) 10-5 heading into week 17.

I'm thinking the Packers will go 12-4 this year. That was my call before the year so I'll stick to it. I think they'll beat NO, lose one of the games against Philly or the Pats(but not both) and the blow some other game that we don't see yet down the stretch.

As for the Lions, I can't see them losing to the Falcons, especially since it's not in Atlanta. They could lose to the Dolphins, but I think they'll win. Probably will lose at New England, and most likely at Arizona too. Maybe at Chicago as well. So I'm thinking 10-6 or 11-5 for the Lions.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this division will probably come down to the Packers and Lions, and likely will be decided in the last game.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning the NO game is key for the tiebreaker with the Lions(since they already beat NO), should we end up with the same record at the end of the year.
I agree its important to beat the saints as it will IMPROVE the packers common games record over the lions. The packers already beat the Panthers who beat the Lions. The lions also lost to the bills who we have yet to play. The lions better beat us week 17 if they want the division because the pack are in good shape as far as common games go.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the remaining schedule, I don't see any more than 2 more losses, as long as we continue to stay relatively healthy. Worst case we lose 3 and go to 11-5. However, I see our chances of winning out and going 14-2 just as likely as losing 3. Most likely we end the season with 12 or 13 wins.

Packers will make a strong statement Sunday night.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning the division (for any team) should be the #1 goal headed into any given season. I think we will this year too.

Reaction score
Well actually the past couple of weeks has weakened this argument. The Cowboys/Eagles would be one of the wildcard teams but NFC South and West are both falling apart. The Lions have a shot at making that last Wild Card spot.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

I think you may be underestimating your New Coach. Jim Caldwell is the real deal and you guys have tons of talent. I am hoping the division goes to the last game because, that's the kind of football I like and the kind of football that propels teams into the post season hot.

Edit: And we WILL win that game.

Last edited:
M

melvin2345

I think you may be underestimating your New Coach. Jim Caldwell is the real deal and you guys have tons of talent. I am hoping the division goes to the last game because, that's the kind of football I like and the kind of football that propels teams into the post season hot.

Edit: And we WILL win that game.

I've been a Lions fan for well over 20 years. Being cautiously optimistic (and somewhat sceptical) is a requirement at this point :)

I too would like nothing more than to have week 17 be the game that decides the division. It would make for some very entertaining football.

History would certainly infer that you guys win that game, but if Detroit ever had a chance to win in Green Bay, this would be the year. Provided the defense is still playing like they are right now anyway.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I've been a Lions fan for well over 20 years. Being cautiously optimistic (and somewhat sceptical) is a requirement at this point :)

I too would like nothing more than to have week 17 be the game that decides the division. It would make for some very entertaining football.

History would certainly infer that you guys win that game, but if Detroit ever had a chance to win in Green Bay, this would be the year. Provided the defense is still playing like they are right now anyway.
This is a do or die year for your team. You are going to start losing talent soon. The Cap dictates it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the North will send a WC team this year. The South obviously isn't sending one. Even if you assume the East sends one (and I'm still not totally sold on the Cowboys, I could see them slipping to 10-6 or 9-7), that still leaves a spot.

The Niners and Seahawks are both 4-3. Look at their remaining schedules, both are brutal. Between Arizona, Seattle, and San Fran, I don't see better than 10-6 for the 2nd place division team.

However I do agree it is really important that we win the division. You're going to have dome/South teams like Seattle, New Orleans, Dallas, etc, that are going to be entirely different teams at home than they are at Lambeau. More than ever, HFA will be crucial this January.

Really we need to not only win the division but beat out either the East or West winner for a top 2 seed.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions have a tough 3 games coming up. Home vs. Miami, @ Arizona and @ New England. Would be nice to see them drop at least 2 out of 3.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts