Have faith in MLF's O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too true.

I'll just add this.

I was obviously and laughably wrong that the Packers' offense would figure things out this week.

I still think I'm right that the biggest problem on the offense is the offensive line.

Scary part of this statement? The best offensive players that Gute has drafted have been oline guys (Jenkins and Runyan)...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lot of teams struggle with supporting casts. There appears to be something else wrong with the team. Yesterday, even our improved special teams failed us with a blocked punt, a blocked FG, and penalties on returns. Maybe Rodgers philosophy of R-E-L-A-X has engulfed both the players and the coaches. They are relaxing too much. I do not believe these losses are happening just on Sunday. There are 6 days of preparation ( except in short weeks ) between games. And I believe that is where we are losing. The best coached teams maximize those 6 days. Even the play that won the Ice Bowl did not just pop into the QB's head.
Actually, it sorta did.

Reaction score
Too true.

I'll just add this.

I was obviously and laughably wrong that the Packers' offense would figure things out this week.

I still think I'm right that the biggest problem on the offense is the offensive line.
Amen. The pundits will scream WR and that IS a secondary concern.

We took a major step backwards at OL. The most important part of the equation is keeping #12 on his feet. It’s more important than any other position group other than.. well?? QB!

Before we even think WR we’d better find an answer on OL. I seriously think going outside is a legitimate avenue.
My pea brain thinks we should get a known veteran RT and put Zach Tom at one of our 2 Guard spots and Jenkins at the other. Hold Nij for a contingency plan. I think that would hide some temporary, but minor deficiency at Center. Having an average (Runyon) Guard and below average Guard (Newman) just pronounces the pedestrian Center play we currently have. Linsley is missed sorely

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It appeared Gute had a plan of action in place to move on from Rodgers this past offseason and let Love take over at the helm. Instead, the org chickens out and gives Rodgers a horrendous contract that could potentially hamstring the franchise for years to come.

You need to understand that Rodgers was under contract before Gutekunst signed him to an extension this offseason. The move actually reduced his cap hit in 2022. It's true the extension will result a substantial cap hit at some point down the road but it's not a reason for the team struggling this year.

Lot of teams struggle with supporting casts.

I truly don't believe there are a lot of teams (if any) which have a worse combination of talent on the offensive line as well as at wide receiver and tight end than the Packers currently seem to have.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it sorta did.
Well, not really. The Packers played that basic Doomsday Defense in 1964, 65, and 66 before the Ice Bowl. They even played them in preseason games. Jerry Kramer understood the strengths and weaknesses of the Cowboy line at the time. And the Packers as a group had played together in all the horrific weather conditions even before the Ice Bowl. As Starr had stated that last drive was a culmination of all the hard effort mentally and physically for which the team worked and prepared not just then but throughout their careers. They knew the weather and field conditions. They knew the opponent. They knew that they needed one yard and they knew how to get it. And hence they did.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, not really. The Packers played that basic Doomsday Defense in 1964, 65, and 66 before the Ice Bowl. They even played them in preseason games. Jerry Kramer understood the strengths and weaknesses of the Cowboy line at the time. And the Packers as a group had played together in all the horrific weather conditions even before the Ice Bowl. As Starr had stated that last drive was a culmination of all the hard effort mentally and physically for which the team worked and prepared not just then but throughout their careers. They knew the weather and field conditions. They knew the opponent. They knew that they needed one yard and they knew how to get it. And hence they did.
I've seen the movie. Starr told Vince on the sidelines that the RB could not get footing whereas he could just shuffle his feet and sneak it in. Thank god they did that because when I rewatch that play, Chuck Howley was in the backfield so fast I think he would have got any runner. btw Starr's teammates did not know he was going to sneak it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not very pleased with MLF and his staff. But that said, I don't know that any adjustments or play calling will make much if any difference the way the players are performing.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. The pundits will scream WR and that IS a secondary concern.

We took a major step backwards at OL. The most important part of the equation is keeping #12 on his feet. It’s more important than any other position group other than.. well?? QB!

Before we even think WR we’d better find an answer on OL. I seriously think going outside is a legitimate avenue.
My pea brain thinks we should get a known veteran RT and put Zach Tom at one of our 2 Guard spots and Jenkins at the other. Hold Nij for a contingency plan. I think that would hide some temporary, but minor deficiency at Center. Having an average (Runyon) Guard and below average Guard (Newman) just pronounces the pedestrian Center play we currently have. Linsley is missed sorely
What I don't understand is that we basically have the same OL. Why is this an issue now??

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is that we basically have the same OL. Why is this an issue now??
They could be better if each player was put in the correct spot. But, imo, the coaches want a specific player to play at a specific spot and come hell or high water they are going to leave him in that spot. They do not do a good job of putting players where they can succeed.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as a full-time State Farm rep ?
Ironic. My State Farm agent just called me today.
I've seen the movie. Starr told Vince on the sidelines that the RB could not get footing whereas he could just shuffle his feet and sneak it in. Thank god they did that because when I rewatch that play, Chuck Howley was in the backfield so fast I think he would have got any runner. btw Starr's teammates did not know he was going to sneak it.
There is more to it than the film clips, however. You have to read the books by Jerry Kramer, other players, and some of the football historians. In fact I still have a newspaper headline clipping from the day after the Ice Bowl: STARR: We were out of ideas.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake ?
And my team just signed Jake 'Fromm State Farm' at QB
Hopefully we don't have to resort to using him against you all on Sunday !
Mine just called to explain the increase in premiums. Maybe Jake ' Fromm State Farm ' could give me a discount.

D

Deleted member 6794

The offensive line was an issue last season as well. Rodgers and Adams were able to cover up for their shortcomings though. Unfortunately the Packers' lack of talent among their pass catchers makes it tougher to do that this year.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some random perspective on our current offense:

By my count we have scored 119 points on offense this season. The Bears offense has accounted for 126.

Last night the Bears O scored 33 on the Patriots. That's 6 more than we scored against those same Patriots and more than we've scored in any one game all season. Yikes!

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By my count we have scored 119 points on offense this season. The Bears offense has accounted for 126.

Last night the Bears O scored 33 on the Patriots. That's 6 more than we scored against those same Patriots and more than we've scored in any one game all season. Yikes!
Scary, isn’t it? Some of our problems can for sure be overcome (bad route running, inaccurate throws, penalties & drops), but without a much improved offensive line and a receiver or two who pose an actual threat, there may be some pretty serious limitations.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is currently taking the blame for a GM who hasn't added a single impact player on offense via the draft and also hasn't added anyone via free agency. Does nobody else find it odd that MLF is, according to some, supposed to be able to field an elite offense with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL, an oline that features numerous players coming back from injury, one elite RB and another RB who's massive workload in college has caught up to him, and a laughable TE group? The last positive impact player on offense that Gute added was Jenkins in 2019!

Defenses love to play shell coverage in today's NFL. How do you beat shell coverage? You either have a receiver so fast he can actually beat it OR you beat it with receivers who can get YAC. The Packers have none of those things but some magical coaching option aside from MLF will suddenly transform Doubs into Davante Adams 0.90...sorry, only working out in the offseason is going to get Doubs' hand strength up so that he can make contested catches. I see so many people outside of Gute getting blamed for this season and it's just weird that fans ignore personnel on the team and assume it's only coaching or the best QB in NFL history that are holding back the "elite" collection of talent that Gute has put together on offense.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is currently taking the blame for a GM who hasn't added a single impact player on offense via the draft and also hasn't added anyone via free agency. Does nobody else find it odd that MLF is, according to some, supposed to be able to field an elite offense with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL, an oline that features numerous players coming back from injury, one elite RB and another RB who's massive workload in college has caught up to him, and a laughable TE group? The last positive impact player on offense that Gute added was Jenkins in 2019!

Defenses love to play shell coverage in today's NFL. How do you beat shell coverage? You either have a receiver so fast he can actually beat it OR you beat it with receivers who can get YAC. The Packers have none of those things but some magical coaching option aside from MLF will suddenly transform Doubs into Davante Adams 0.90...sorry, only working out in the offseason is going to get Doubs' hand strength up so that he can make contested catches. I see so many people outside of Gute getting blamed for this season and it's just weird that fans ignore personnel on the team and assume it's only coaching or the best QB in NFL history that are holding back the "elite" collection of talent that Gute has put together on offense.
The worst part is that you would expect that neglect of the offense to that degree would have resulted in a far more elite defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is a fact. So the Lions, Vikings, and Bears have all outscored us. Not bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

You need to consider that there are a lot of offenses which have scored quite a significant amount of points off turnovers. The Bears have 19 this season for example.

On the other hand the Packers are one of only two teams that have zero.

That is a fact. So the Lions, Vikings, and Bears have all outscored us. Not bad.

Actually the Packers have scored more points than the Bears this season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His offense stinks. It has been figured out and he has no clue on how to adjust. It’s like watching McCarthy all over again smh. Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts