1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hate to say it, but our receiving corps is.....

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Mr. StyleZ, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Overrated. Hate to say it, but it is true. I see plenty of people, papers, blogs, etc ranking our WR's in the top 2-3 almost all the time. Even caught Aikmen the other week saying we have the best. Sure Rodgers spreads the ball around, but Jones has got to be one of the most inconsistent WR out there, Jordy has fumblitis, Driver is still tough but has also put the ball on the ground a lot in the past 2 years. I'm not including TE's, because I feel we have a very sold group of receiving TEs.

I believe we have 5 receivers with 40 or 50 catches (all over 500 yards) which includes Brandon Jackson. Do the stats tell the story here? Not trying to be a downer, I think our corps is very good, the inconsistency just kills me..

What do you think?

2. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    Right now I think its the nerves working against them. I think Jones and Jennings will play more comfortably in Atlanta with this win. Though I do hope we can trade or draft an explosive young receiver ala Dez Bryant to develop with A-Rod.

3. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Ya, I'm not sure if the outdoors has anything to do with it, but I can't see Jennings and Jones having 2 bad games in a row either. The dome environment should help and give us the clear advantage there. I don't know about about a Dez Bryant, those types are rare, but I hear ya.

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Jones gets open enough that he has plenty of drops to go with his 50+ catches.
    Driver is still clutch... made 3 or 4 huge 3rd down catches yesterday.

Jennings is lethal, although his drop at Detroit still pisses me off.
    Jordy...you all know how I feel about him and TT taking him over DeSean Jackson in the 2008 draft.
    Swain's okay, but the #5 WR spot should be a Jacoby Ford, Josh Cribbs, Leon Washington type of great return guy.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    can anyone find stats on drops?

I agree completely that we are overrated as far as wr goes. Jordy is a joke imo, jones drops big plays, as does jennings, and driver is headed to retirement after the drop in production he has had this season. At least driver is the most reliable.

6. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    Don't forget our biggest red zone threat (JFinn) has been hurt all yr.

Its a different conversation if he woulda been healthy this season.

At what point do you guys think TT replaces DD?

7. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    I've tried looking for a site for dropped balls stats several times, and have yet to find one.

8. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +327
    I am leaning towards this year being DD's last year. :(

Draft a new WR next year.

9. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They are good, but they aren't tope 2-3 in the league. No way. Overrated I agree. They've started dropping way too many balls to be considered elite.

10. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    I agree. If we could find like a Mike Wallace (3rd round, 84th overall), that would be sweet.

11. erik_m_vos

erik_m_vos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8

TT has replaced DD.... that's what James Jones was for. I still believe we have the best 5 wr depth chart in the NFL. I'd like to see anyone prove me wrong. You all have been saying Rodgers spreads the ball around like that's a bad thing. He does that because he has that luxury. If we only had one or two targets like most teams Jennings and Driver would have 80-90 catches and 1000 yards each again. Jennings and drivers numbers fell due to the fact that for a number 3 and 4 receiver Jordy and Jones are good!

Show me a better number 3 wide out than James Jones... show me a better number 4 wide out than Jordy Nelson.....

Besides his drops, Jones is a very good wide out. If you're saying James Jones sucks just because he drops some, then Braylon Edwards is terrible... T.O. has always been terrible... etc.

Nelson fumbles? well, yeah, but that can be fixe3d. He can still get open and catch the ball very well and in the open field he's a beast

12. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Where did anyone say it was a bad thing? Having a worse WR corps than we may have originally thought, is indeed a testament to Rodgers.

You think Brees is more accurate than Rodgers? I don't think so. But Brees has been leading the NFL (I believe) in completion % for awhile now. How can that be since he is 2nd in INTs?

13. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    I dont think so. Jennings and Driver is an amazing combo. Throw in Nelson and Jones and that just adds to it. Once you get Finley back, even though he is a TE, he is more of a receiving TE.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    but dont you want him to set the record before he goes?

15. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    He'll break that on Saturday ;)

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    Post season counts?

17. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    Go Packers

18. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Yea. At least I thought so..?

19. PackerFan87

PackerFan87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    We are top 5 for sure.

20. erik_m_vos

erik_m_vos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    James Jones caught one less ball this season than Driver, and had 100 more yards and 1 more touchdown. Put him on a team that doesn't have a decent third and fourth receiver like we do and he's a 70 catch 900 yard guy easy.

21. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    If they do their job and catch the ball they are a top receiving core. This had been a couple bad days for the receivers don't make any rash evaluations after a couple bad games

• Like Like x 1
  22. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Which teams have better 4-WR sets?

I would like the Packers to draft a Percy Harvin style receiver who has tremendous speed this season, but I don't see what is so terrible about what we already possess. Jennings is one of the NFL's best, Driver is better than most #2's, Jones and Nelson are two of the NFL's best playmaking slot receivers, and Swain is undetermined (albeit, he appears too slow when he does play).

They have dropped passes, but Aaron Rodgers has made many of those passes a lot more difficult than they needed to be. He gets a share of the blame, too.

23. LApackerfan

LApackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    let's hope they wipe that butter off real good.

24. Number1 PackerFan in Indy

Number1 PackerFan in Indy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not overrated, just nervous. Yes James Jones has had butter fingers all season, but you have also seen what he can do when he catches it, he is a very physically big, strong wide receiver. I just think the last three must win games got to him a little, he'll get it right. As for Driver, he is a veteran and one of the best receivers in Packers history, sure age has caught up to him, but did you see that TD against the 49ers? Because I sure did. He still has some gas left in the tank. Jordy Nelson does fumble quite a bit, but he is lightning quick, he's young he'll get much better. As for Jennings, it goes without saying he is a monster. Sure a few drops have been annoying (like at Detroit) but he tied for the most receiving TDs in the NFC. So based on all of that, I would say they arent overrated, they may not be #1 in the NFL, but definitely top 3.

25. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    You've GOT TO BE KIDDING! Jackson is a cocky-assed punk. Nelson is a worker. NO THANKS.