1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Has Sports Ever Interfered In Your Relationship?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by cheeseheadfanatic87, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cheeseheadfanatic87

cheeseheadfanatic87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I guess I am asking because it has taken a strain on my current relationship. Sundays for me are usually reserved for watching the Packers and NFL football. It is odd because my friends come over and their spouse doesn't care too much. It's been a tradition when football season comes around we watch the games together. I invite her as well to watch, and she does but last night got into a huge argument about "spending time" together.

We generally spend quite a bit of time together and it probably could be better but for the most part it's pretty darn good. Also last night I never even said anything and she was talking smack about my team, and was like well I don't like your team, and I have never NEVER forced her to like any of my sports teams... not once. And she complained to me Saturday not watching hockey.

I told her before I am not into hockey. I have even bought her Predators apparel, and I'd say I am respectful. I mean this is ridiculous arguing about our teams, and there was some rude comments she said and I was like well don't watch the game than with me... because quite frankly I don't care if she don't like any of my teams. There my teams, and I think there should be a healthy barrier between that.

I don't know it's extremely frustrating.

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    How much of your "spending time together" revolve around sports? Did she want to do something else that she had to forgo for your NFL Sunday with the guys? If you have been doing this a while, sports are not the root cause.

3. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Watching football has not had a negative affect on my relationship. My husband has learned that my life revolves around the Packers. He is understanding and submissive.

4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Edible condoms and a golf club. Trust me.

5. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Anybody, I date, I let them know up front that I am obsessed with sports and they consume a great deal of my waking existence as well as my dreams. The only problem I ever had was when I was dating a Cowboys fan. The problem actually didn't come from me, but he ran a fowl of my family. They are all Eagles fans and this guy had the bad sense to bash the Eagles and proclaim how much better a team the Cowboys were when my family invited him over for pasta. He didn't last long.

As for your problem, I'm getting the feeling the problem here is not sports. She wants to spend more time with you and is using sports as an excuse as to why you don't spend time together. Or not as much time as she would like. Perhaps suggest you guys take a day and do something completely non sports related? Go old school, dinner and a movie. Visit your local zoo? Check out a local faire if there is one in town? All sorts of things. The important thing is to be supportive and try not to argue back as hard as that may be. If she knows and sees you are taking the time to invest into spending time with her, I think that will go a long way. I'm not sure you want to do all that, I really have no idea what is going on but sometimes women are just sensitive to these things.

Or maybe turn the rivalry with the teams into something productive. There are all sorts of devilish games you can play. Just channel that energy into something good!

6. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    So is that old boyfriend buried in a shallow grave in the back yard somewhere?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    No, my Uncle is very immaculate when it comes to his yard. Most of the time we're not even allowed to walk on it.

8. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Kitten, You are very wise. I would have suggested he help her get her very own fantasy football team.

9. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Some more thoughts and a bit of a lesson about women so pay attention!

Her idea of "spending time together" is probably a totally different than yours. Also, she probably takes quality of time spend in a much different regard. For her, sitting watching sports does not qualify as time spent together. Sometimes women expect their guys to know what they are feeling without having been asked. That plan almost always fails.

Do you cook? Try cooking a romantic dinner for two. The cooking shows have tons of ideas on how to make a simple meal. A nice wine and a desert. If she is health conscious, you'd best cater to that need and maybe exclude the desert unless you can find a recipe that suits your needs. If all else fails and you're not a good cook, just get take out but eat off of good plates, have candles, linens and maybe some soft music. Maybe take a yoga class together or learn a massage technique to use on each other.

My advice is to reciprocate with the sports. If she comes over to watch football, then you make it a point to watch some hockey even though you don't like it. Maybe she doesn't like football.

Another possibility is it has nothing to do with you at all. It could be frustration from work, or family and friends. It could be anything. Women are funny animals.

There is also another way to get to the root of the problem. Ask her directly, but please have a care how you do it so she doesn't feel she's being attacked. I'd do it after a nice day, when she is in a good mood. Developing open lines of communication is key to any relationship. Let her know that you care about her and that if there is anything she needs, she need but ask. Let her know you are there for her and are willing to do what it takes to make this relationship work.

Again, this is all just some random advice. Take it as you will. I hope you guys work everything out and hopefully she can make it to a Packers game although it might get you to a hockey game in the process!

10. cheeseheadfanatic87

cheeseheadfanatic87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    We go out for dinner, and I gave up college football because we usually do something Saturday like hiking, or camping or go to a festival. I think she just doesn't like the fact that I don't like hockey. I mean really. We spend a decent amount of time together.

11. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,626
    And there I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Like Like x 3
  12. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I'm giving you a "like" on this because I'm sure you're just kidding, RIGHT???????

• Like Like x 1
  13. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I'm giving you a like because of your naivete.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Lmao! You know it, Big Poppa! :)

15. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Unfortunately society only lets you hit nails on the head. I've been married 20 years plus have 4 brothers with their wives plus my in-laws so yeah I've seen about every type but they all boil down to God having a great sense of humor in the Garden.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I've never had a problem with Sports in any of my relationships.

Starting seeing a girl in the same work fields as myself, and she is a Saints fan, which is a + to my part, don't have to deal with listening to her talk about a team I hate!

My family is dominated by Saints fans, except for my brother in law, whom is a Steelers fan, which fits his personality I guess since he is the most hated person at the dinner table for having a smart mouth LOL! Even my cousins are big Saints fans, that's why I have a soft spot for them. I have one cousin who is a Bronco's fan, and hard to believe, he HATES Tebow.

There is not a single Auburn fan in my entire family, in laws included. We all bleed Crimson Tide, don't see any Auburn or LSU stickers on our vehicles.

It's kinda fun when the Saints and Packers play, we pick around with it like this year, but we don't take it very seriously, it's just fun and games.

17. beautifuleyes

beautifuleyes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Met the love of my life at a football game... now we have Winnipeg Jets and Winnipeg Blue Bombers season tickets together; no sport related relationship issues here! Only issue would be I buy him too much merch when I should be saving my money, oh well :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I dont let it become an issue. You either accept it early on or I move on.

Lombardi put the Packers before his marriage, who am I to argue with that logic?

19. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Or buying merch for yourself. ;)