Has Eddie Lacy taken his last carry as a Packer?

D

Deleted member 6794

I really don't see another club giving Lacy anything more than the Packers would offer. With all equal, I would think he would go somewhere warmer to be closer to home and/or get a change or scenery to spark his career. If he doesn't get any other offers, we would likely bring him to camp to see his conditioning.

I´m pretty confident that another team will offer him more money than the Packers believing they will be able to keep Lacy in shape.

Gabe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This conversation is about next year.... his IR status this year is irrelevant to that. The fact that he will be a free agent is the point of this conversation.
They still will most likely not take him back... The packers have pretty much got it all figured out at running back now, judging by how well they did against the lions

D

Deleted member 6794

They still will most likely not take him back... The packers have pretty much got it all figured out at running back now, judging by how well they did against the lions

I don't believe the Packers have completely figured out their running back situation going forward but agree that Lacy most likely won't be back next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I get the mentality of injuries and the healing of them sometimes are a wildcard and unkown, it seemed like TT and the Packers were very slow to react or too optimistic of quick recoveries of the defensive injuries this year. I will also agree with the notion that the Defense has been pummeled by injuries at the CB position from day 1 at Jacksonville. However, as soon the Packers started to see that Shields had been the glue holding that unit together and his future availability was very much in doubt, they didn't react. The result, poor play, more injuries and a complete thinning out of the position to the point that a UDFA WR is now on the roster as a CB. It really felt like TT was a Deer in the headlights watching a trainwreck in slow motion. Same thing could be said with the Running Back position this year. It also nearly happened at ILB, fortunately both Ryan and Martinez met or beat their timetable of recovery to play again.

When Jordy went down for the season last year, at least TT reacted and brought in James Jones. If Aaron Rodgers had gone down in Jacksonville, Hundley would have been next man up, but I would have expected a Veteran to be brought in.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone else believe TT has a part in what happened with/to Eddie Lacy? I'm not talking about the weight,I'm talking about not having another RB available on the roster when he severely sprained his ankle on a Sunday then basically forcing him to go on a quick turnaround to a Thursday night game against Chicago. He should have not played against Chicago but they had NO rb's available and I think there was pressure for Lacy to go that night,when it was very obvious he shouldn't have been playing. I find it inexcusable that the organization wasn't prepared for such a circumstance.Thank God Montgomery adapted quickly to his role. I will give Eddie props for stepping up in a tough situation. All in all, I don't think he will be back in GB without taking a huge salary cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does anyone else believe TT has a part in what happened with/to Eddie Lacy? I'm not talking about the weight,I'm talking about not having another RB available on the roster when he severely sprained his ankle on a Sunday then basically forcing him to go on a quick turnaround to a Thursday night game against Chicago. He should have not played against Chicago but they had NO rb's available and I think there was pressure for Lacy to go that night,when it was very obvious he shouldn't have been playing. I find it inexcusable that the organization wasn't prepared for such a circumstance.Thank God Montgomery adapted quickly to his role. I will give Eddie props for stepping up in a tough situation. All in all, I don't think he will be back in GB without taking a huge salary cut.

It was for sure a questionable decision not having another running back active for the Cowboys game but I don't agree Thompson should be blamed for Lacy's injury.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as not taking, Lacy back goes.... yes that is what most of us have been saying..... as far as the Running back situation already being "figured out"... I'd say that is still up in the air. I highly doubt that the Packers intend to use their fullback as their leading rusher..... The Lions game shows me the opposite. In previous games Montgomery has been the guy... Michaels doesn't seem to be ready for more than a few carries, and Ripkowski ended up with 60 some yards rushing. In my opinion, the Packers wanted a reliable pass blocker back there, and didn't feel comfortable with either Michael or Montgomery in that role. Next year is next year and training camp will give several backs the chance to learn the system and compete for the starting role. It may very well be Montgomery, but time will tell.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was for sure a questionable decision not having another running back active for the Cowboys game but I don't agree Thompson should be blamed for Lacy's injury.
I would primarily blame Lacy's conditioning for that, but I do think there is merit to the argument that he should not have been playing in that game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make the claim that Eddie was in perfect shape when he was playing, but I think this year, he was in better shape than he was the last 2 years. Can you hand Eddie the ball 3 or 4 straight times? Probably not, but on some of those runs where he was gassed, look at the effort he had to put in. That is a big man, banging hard into other big bodies and running full out while doing it. There are a few RB's that can run that hard and take that kind of pounding play after play, but not a lot of them and I doubt with his asthma compounding things, Eddie will ever be that guy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For F's sake. He gets crucified for not having enough QBs one year. Not having enough RBs or inside LBs this year. Not enough depth at CB. I wonder how many players people think a GM is allowed to have on the roster. You HAVE to make decisions about where to have depth and where to roll the dice. Often times it comes down to which of your bubble players can contribute more on special teams.

Maybe we should have had one less CB to have the extra RB?!?

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well...for F's sake...this is the NFL...don't you think he should have had at least one RB available? I don't know if you've looked around the NFL lately....a lot of teams have 3 backs they can turn to and get some production out of..i'm talking one RB...I think at the time it was straight up stupid..Lacy is in a contract year and you let him sink or swim?...he's F'd now

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Opening day there were 4 on the roster....

http://m.packers.com/news/article/p...n-roster-2ad71c7f-ef86-43db-a144-ce3ac3a80d9f

RB (4): 27 Eddie Lacy, 44 James Starks, 22 Aaron Ripkowski, 34 Brandon Burks
Released: 46 Brandon Ross, 40 Alstevis Squirewell

But burns was released the next day.. Was then re signed to PS in Nov, but a week later rekeased

Why do you think there was only one?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
John Crockett was also viewed to most likely be the #3 back behind Starks and Lacy, he was injured at the end of August and IR'd. I think those 3 would have been solid for the whole season, but as soon as injuries started taking them down 1 after the other, much like the CB position, TT seemed to freeze. Good thing someone in the organization decided Monty might work at RB.

Reaction score
I'm still confused that Lacy was running around jumping over Dallas players like they were 2 foot hurdles with his bum ankle wrapped and racking up the yardage. Then next thing he's on IR without any possibility of returning?. It just seems like there's more to the story of being deemed a season ending injury.
Once again we basically got lucky with Monty transitioning so quickly. If that didn't work we would've been in deep doo doo. Christine has had glimpses of nice production but IMO we'll need to see more of him to get an accurate depiction. I'm ready to move on from Lacy.. unless he takes a pay cut and short term deal.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still confused that Lacy was running around jumping over Dallas players like they were 2 foot hurdles with his bum ankle wrapped and racking up the yardage. Then next thing he's on IR without any possibility of returning?. It just seems like there's more to the story of being deemed a season ending injury.
Once again we basically got lucky with Monty transitioning so quickly. If that didn't work we would've been in deep doo doo. Christine has had glimpses of nice production but IMO we'll need to see more of him to get an accurate depiction. I'm ready to move on from Lacy.. unless he takes a pay cut and short term deal.
I have suspected the same thing.... I can't really say with any certainty, but the situation did/does seem odd to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

For F's sake. He gets crucified for not having enough QBs one year. Not having enough RBs or inside LBs this year. Not enough depth at CB. I wonder how many players people think a GM is allowed to have on the roster. You HAVE to make decisions about where to have depth and where to roll the dice. Often times it comes down to which of your bubble players can contribute more on special teams.

Maybe we should have had one less CB to have the extra RB?!?

For F's sake there's no way an NFL team should enter a regular season game with only one running back on the active roster who in addition was listed as questionable after being limited in practice all week.

According to Ian Rapoport Lacy wouldn't have been healthy enough to play in the postseason. Therefore I don't think there's more to that story.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For F's sake there's no way an NFL team should enter a regular season game with only one running back on the active roster who in addition was listed as questionable after being limited in practice all week.
Why not? what was the game plan? We've often used FB's as RB's in this offense. We did it again last week. I'm not going to say it was ideal, but the question, who should have stayed and who should have gone and who should have been acquired is a very valid question. Because we're talking roster spots. We're talking a number of injured players all over the field, not on IR, who you're expecting to get back so you don't have open Roster spots until they are put on IR or cut. And then you're talking cutting a guy you think is going to help and has been with the team thru camp and 5 weeks of the season and replacing him with a guy of someone else's practice squad or street FA over a quarter into the season.

and it does seem that Ted is expected to know who will be injured, and when, and how badly, 6 months in advance, or he's not doing his job around here. I think it's laughable that people STILL think he's not one of the hardest working front office guys in the entire league.

he's patient, it has it's drawbacks. he believes in the work they do before they ever take the field. From top to bottom, this team is like that. It has drawbacks short term, it has payouts long term. WIth all the reactionary BS this year we've had from fans, we'd have seen a couple plays made differently, and this team would not be in the position it's in without the belief that permeates from top to bottom and thru all the players.

anyway, if Eddie Lacy wasn't eating and drinking himself up to 260+lbs, going into the game with him as the RB would never have been an issue.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, TT should have traded for a running back, some ILBs, and a couple of veteran cornerbacks by that point.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes sir everyone knew eddies should have not played. Not just on TT but MM deserves some of that blame.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think this "Eddie shouldn't have been playing" is being overblown. Should Rodgers have been playing through some of the injuries he has had? Matthews, Cobb, Monty......the list goes on. Athletes compete hurt to the best of their abilities. Blaming further injury on TT in this matter is just silly.

Reaction score
Oh I forgot, TT should have traded for a running back, some ILBs, and a couple of veteran cornerbacks by that point.
Yes, It's tough to forecast injuries so nobody is blaming TT for those (except a few I've seen who think Eddie should've been held out longer early in the season)
My contention is.. our #1 CB went out and we knew this week 1 in a 17 week season. The next 2 best Corners had 1 year of seasoning. Literally 1 year!? They must've known at least a few weeks in that SS was in serious trouble
when you have a serious defect you fix it properly.. you don't patch your main load-bearing beam to save $$. It's just something you can't do because it compromises the entire structure. Sam was that beam.
As far as RB I don't think it was any surprise that we needed more depth once Crockett went down. I'll give Ted credit for eventually the Christine move. We should've done something similar with the Sam issue. I don't think that's being unfair

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Why not? what was the game plan? We've often used FB's as RB's in this offense. We did it again last week. I'm not going to say it was ideal, but the question, who should have stayed and who should have gone and who should have been acquired is a very valid question. Because we're talking roster spots. We're talking a number of injured players all over the field, not on IR, who you're expecting to get back so you don't have open Roster spots until they are put on IR or cut. And then you're talking cutting a guy you think is going to help and has been with the team thru camp and 5 weeks of the season and replacing him with a guy of someone else's practice squad or street FA over a quarter into the season.

and it does seem that Ted is expected to know who will be injured, and when, and how badly, 6 months in advance, or he's not doing his job around here.

The Packers entered the Cowboys game with Lacy being questionable after being limited in practice all week and Ripkowski, who at that point had touched the ball three times in his NFL career. That is far from being ideal but plain and simple stupid.

Thompson should have promoted Don Jackson from the practice squad before that game and put Shields on injured reserve, a move that happened only two days after losing to the Cowboys.

Nobody is expecting Thompson to know about injuries in advance but it's his job to address positions in need of an upgrade once the depth chart is hit hard by players going down.

Thompson gambled by going light at running back and inside linebacker on the 53. Once injuries hit those positions standing pat wasn't the way to go.

The cornerback position is a different story as everyone expected the position to be a strength entering this season and there was sufficient depth on the roster. Unfortunately it didn't work out for several reasons but Thompson's lack of activity to make a move has left the Packers with a glaring weekness entering the playoffs.

I don't understand any Packers fan disagreeing with that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
John Crockett was also viewed to most likely be the #3 back behind Starks and Lacy, he was injured at the end of August and IR'd. I think those 3 would have been solid for the whole season, but as soon as injuries started taking them down 1 after the other, much like the CB position, TT seemed to freeze. Good thing someone in the organization decided Monty might work at RB.

There seems to be that some posters, think that 3 rb on roster at start of the season wasn't enough.

And you are right, that something should have been done, but to be mad about opening day roster with 3 rb makes no sense

Members online

Latest posts