Has Eddie Lacy taken his last carry as a Packer?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look i like the guy but, he's never been able to play a full season without some nagging foot or ankle injury ...since TT drafted him. EVER. He's not "old" in RB yrs yet, but he will be 27 at the end of the season. His running style will be his downfall to a short career...or his weight. Maybe when they cut Shuelds (and they should) they can bring him back for a two yr deal with incentives loaded contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's back it will be with weight clauses and incentives. I imagine he'll be elsewhere. I love they he runs, but as you said he's not available. He can't be counted on to finish a drive let alone a season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If we weren't in such desperate need of a RB, no question in my mind he is gone. Given our need and our lack of diving into the FA market (under the current regime), I think he is back but as posters have said, a very incentive laden contract. I think he would be well worth bringing back, at the right price.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we weren't in such desperate need of a RB, no question in my mind he is gone. Given our need and our lack of diving into the FA market (under the current regime), I think he is back but as posters have said, a very incentive laden contract. I think he would be well worth bringing back, at the right price.

Maybe so ..but, I don't want him back at his current playing weight. He can still be just as tough running at 230 than he can at 250-255. He's carrying to much weight on already bad ankles. If you watch guys like lagarett Blunt or Carlos Hyde? Those are bigger backs who carry their weight well. Lacy doesn't ..tbh he looked the same to me as he did last season physically

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the beginning of season I was thinking Lacy had fire under his *** and was primed to return to rookie form. Everyone knows Lacy has ability to be top 5 RB but we haven't seen it lately. If he would of come back this year tearing it up and lower weight I would say he would of rose out of TT price range. But whatever happens we need to draft a RB that can bring our offense to next level. Christian McCaffrey maybe?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since Feb of 2015 I said he wasn't going to be re signed. .

His drinking and not able to keep weight has worn thin with coaches. .

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that Lacy is finished. he can't keep his weight under control and will likely be 30 to 40 pounds overweight by the end of the season. Getting McCaffery would be a franchise changing pick. If the season continues its current course, TT may get a shot at him if he is willing to trade up to get him. would the Packers save any cap space by cutting Lacy now? They would need to make an injury settlement but savings at all would be good enough reason right now to say good bye and sent him to his favorite Micky D's.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look i like the guy but, he's never been able to play a full season without some nagging foot or ankle injury ...since TT drafted him. EVER. He's not "old" in RB yrs yet, but he will be 27 at the end of the season. His running style will be his downfall to a short career...or his weight. Maybe when they cut Shuelds (and they should) they can bring him back for a two yr deal with incentives loaded contract.

Lacy wasn't able to keep his weight under control in a contract year. Therefore there's no way the Packers should re-sign him to a lucrative long-term deal.

would the Packers save any cap space by cutting Lacy now? They would need to make an injury settlement but savings at all would be good enough reason right now to say good bye and sent him to his favorite Micky D's.

The Packers wouldn't be able to save any significant and most likely no salary cap space by reaching an injury settlement with Lacy as he's probably sidelined until January.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked like he already gained 30 lbs from the start of training camp till the time we saw him last. I hold little faith he's going to keep it under control. He doesn't take great care of his body, which is a shame, because he's very talented.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Feb of 2015 I said he wasn't going to be re signed. .

His drinking and not able to keep weight has worn thin with coaches. .
I could totally see it, but is there any proof on there being a drinking problem?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Lacy has run his course in Green Bay.
I wouldn't even offer him an incentive laden contract because I don't believe the guy cares enough.
After I saw his interview with Larry McCarran during his rookie year, I came away with the impression that he didn't love the game and didn't plan on being around long.
My impression hasn't changed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting McCaffery would be a franchise changing pick. If the season continues its current course, TT may get a shot at him if he is willing to trade up to get him.
I think this was a "prove it" year for Lacy, whether he could come in and stay in-shape and lighter. Didn't work out that way, so IMHO I think his time in GB is over.

I still think GB is looking for a "work horse" back for their system, not a small/quick perimeter guy as the #1. I'm guessing TT will use a 2nd or 3rd on such a back like: Royce Freeman (5'-11, 230 lbs) or Samaje Perine (5'-10, 234 lbs).

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I could totally see it, but is there any proof on there being a drinking problem?
my proof is from people close to the team. People here didn't believe me, but I then eddy admitted to drinking . .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only thing I have seen about Eddie and drinking was when he did his program with Tony Horton, he strived to improve his diet and "cut way back" on alcohol consumption in order to lose weight. Then there was that incident with Alonzo Harris that ultimately cost Harris his job. So you could say some signs are there and it may be a private matter, but if exists, hasn't been corrected and the Packer organization knows about it, I doubt Eddie is back.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he's working out everyday? And laying off the junk food and snacks? Amongst accusations of liking to drink? No way his metabolism allows him to even sniff 230. Smh what a shame because he could be pretty great if he had the proper drive. Maybe his new home will open up his eyes. Just hope it isn't Detroit or Chicago lol.

Reaction score
I like Eddie. I think IF he was 100% committed he could be a top 10 running back for a few more years. We saw what he can do on a bad ankle. Imagine what he could do if he lost 20-30 lbs and put extra work in
My ? is.. does he have the desire to do this. IMO the current answer is no based on how he's handled himself physically. Hes been easily at the 260+ lb. mark and that's bigger than our FB. We don't need 3 FBs. We don't need 2 FBs either. We need an elusive 220 lb speed back with a strong receiving blend to mix things up.
As time goes on it will only get harder for Eddie to rebound. I still think he would make a good 1-2 punch so if the $ is right we could sign him to a shorter 1-2 year contract as a #2 role, but either way we need to move forward next year with a suitable and younger replacement.
One of our top 3 needs in the 2017 draft is at RB

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't write off Lacy quite yet. He will not command much in free agency with the conditioning and injury history. Consider the cost/benefit aspect under a short term compete-for-#1 contract that would be tolerable as a 10 carry #2.

I think it will boil down to whether he can stay reasonably close to this season's level of conditioning as he goes through rehab, and where he stands in that regard as the FA period approaches.

Like it or not, this is not a good run blocking line and there's no reason to think it will be going forward. Green Bay backs have to get some yardage on their own between the tackles; McCarthy likes those kinds of guys to set up favorable down and distance even if it's at the expense of the big gainers. From that perspective, Lacy fits the scheme.

H

HardRightEdge

What will happen is the drafting of a RB. I'd expect that to happen somewhere between the low second round (Lacy) and the 4th. round (where the belated ILB repairs were made).

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we get Eddie back on a team friendly deal and we also draft a RB. This class is supposedly deep for RBs and it'd be nice to snag a promising one.

Oh, and Starks can go.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or......the Packers could pursue Le’Veon Bell or another RB in the FA Market......that is if TT is no longer with the Packers. :coffee:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing I have seen about Eddie and drinking was when he did his program with Tony Horton, he strived to improve his diet and "cut way back" on alcohol consumption in order to lose weight. Then there was that incident with Alonzo Harris that ultimately cost Harris his job. So you could say some signs are there and it may be a private matter, but if exists, hasn't been corrected and the Packer organization knows about it, I doubt Eddie is back.
I was told last year they wouldn't re sign him..

he did lose weight but then gained it all back, and now injured. Unless it's a vet min I don't think he is back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was told last year they wouldn't re sign him..

he did lose weight but then gained it all back, and now injured. Unless it's a vet min I don't think he is back.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Packers aren't willing to sign him to anything but a low end contract. It also won't surprise me to see Eddie make a second visit to Tony Horton and try to get himself ready to sign for more money with a team that is willing to gamble on Eddie.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if he just doesn't want to play in GB. If were to get a contract with a Southern team, would he take it and work to keep it?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder if he just doesn't want to play in GB. If were to get a contract with a Southern team, would he take it and work to keep it?

While I get what you are saying, "does being in a place he doesn't want to be cause him to be unmotivated"

It would serve him no purpose or financial gain to intentionally not be motivated, in order to play for another team. If that was the case (not wanting to play in GB), he would have the option to do whatever he wanted after this year and sign with any team who wanted him. It would seem that his lack of motivation will not only reduce the amount of money he will earn, but will most likely greatly limit the # of teams willing to pay it.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts