Has any team had more playoff heartbreakers this century?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no particular order:

- 4th and 26
- NFC Championship OT loss to the Giants at Lambeau.
- Overtime heartbreaker in Arizona losing on face mask play.
- Last second FG to lose to 49ers last year.
- The Seattle choke

We have had a whopping 5 OT playoff games in 11 years. Other than "we want the ball and we're gonna score", we've lost all of them.

I appreciate the fact that we are in the hunt every year, I really do, but the playoff failures are testing the resolve of our fans far more than Russell Wilson has had his tested in his pro career.

I beg of you, 2015 Packers, haven't we had enough?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You qualified it as this century, but I would say other teams such as the Vikings crushing Super Bowl losses as being far worse than that of the Packers. Even in this century, I would argue that fans of teams that can't even field a competitive team are worse off than us. So to answer your question, I would actually go to the Vikings again. They lost two NFC championship games on the last play: the 1999 missed kick by then-perfect Gary Anderson, and the Favre interception against the Saints.

IMO there's been too much "whoa is me" about losing championship games. At least half of the fans on this forum don't realize how good we've got it, even with losses like those list above. As Vic would say on the Packers website, there needs to be some perspective.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You qualified it as this century, but I would say other teams such as the Vikings crushing Super Bowl losses as being far worse than that of the Packers. Even in this century, I would argue that fans of teams that can't even field a competitive team are worse off than us. So to answer your question, I would actually go to the Vikings again. They lost two NFC championship games on the last play: the 1999 missed kick by then-perfect Gary Anderson, and the Favre interception against the Saints.

IMO there's been too much "whoa is me" about losing championship games. At least half of the fans on this forum don't realize how good we've got it, even with losses like those list above. As Vic would say on the Packers website, there needs to be some perspective.

I never disputed that we have it good as fans to have a competitive team to give us hope every year, or said that it is worse than not being competitive at all. This thread is about who has had the hardest playoff close calls in the modern era.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns getting owned by Elways in the AFC Championship in the 80's. They are a storied franchise that has no idea what a Super Bowl is.

The Bears losing to the Pack last year...the Bears losing the NFC championship to Pack at home (that one will hurt forever).

The Bills losing 4 straight super bowls....1 because their kicker missed an easy FG.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns getting owned by Elways in the AFC Championship in the 80's. They are a storied franchise that has no idea what a Super Bowl is.

The Bears losing to the Pack last year...the Bears losing the NFC championship to Pack at home (that one will hurt forever).

The Bills losing 4 straight super bowls....1 because their kicker missed an easy FG.

I remember that play. Scott Norwood. It believe it was about 47 yards though. No sure thing and this was before the current golden age of kickers.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps some perspective is needed, but the way this particular game was lost Sunday was unfathomable and inexcusable. No true competitor would be content settling for a division win and maybe a playoff win or two, year in and year out, with the kind of talent the Packers have. Vic's just doing his job with all the spin and providing cover where cover is needed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps some perspective is needed, but the way this particular game was lost Sunday was unfathomable and inexcusable. No true competitor would be content settling for a division win and maybe a playoff win or two, year in and year out, with the kind of talent the Packers have. Vic's just doing his job with all the spin and providing cover where cover is needed.
who's "content"?? not believing everything needs to be blown up and thinking this player needs to go and that one needs to be cut and this one needs to be tossed in a river and MM needs to be fired and Capers needs to be Fired and Slocum needs to be fired (well he does) and TT is an idiot and now he's built a team with so much talent the coaches can't coach them and have ruined them and blah, blah, blah, the sky is falling every day after every single loss, no matter if it's week 1 or in the NFC championship game, doesn't mean people are "content"

Perspective is nice, get some. We have very good coaches and very good players, we'll be back again next year barring some catastrophe. We have the winningest coach in Packer history, a winning percentage only 2nd to Bellichick in the entire NFL. and everyone wants it changed and it's laughable. You can be pissed, I certainly am, but don't be stupid about it.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have the winningest coach in Packer history, a winning percentage only 2nd to Bellichick in the entire NFL.

I agree with most of your post but McCarthy is second in total wins and fourth in winning percentage in franchise history.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perspective is nice, get some. We have very good coaches and very good players, we'll be back again next year barring some catastrophe. We have the winningest coach in Packer history, a winning percentage only 2nd to Bellichick in the entire NFL. and everyone wants it changed and it's laughable. You can be pissed, I certainly am, but don't be stupid about it.
I've easily managed to get perspective at the end of each season until this one. Yes, we had an excellent season and we have very good players (I would say better than very good), but I have never witnessed anything as awful in the 40 years I've been a fan as the last few minutes of that game. If making my own judgments about things is being stupid, then I am guilty. I know it's tough winning playoffs games. It's not the losses themselves, it's the manner in which we lose, which does indicate that there may be a problem somewhere. Sweeping it under the rug isn't going to change anything. And for what it's worth, I don't know a single person that thought we had a chance to win that game, but I did. I love the Packers players and hope they come back with a vengeance next season and can overcome whatever imaginary obstacles that might exist next time around. In the meantime, I will try to find some perspective. Thanks for the reminder.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would also have to go with the Vikings, especially with the 4 Super Bowl losses. Not that it's a big deal, but I would like to clarify your statement about their 2 lost NFC championship games on the 'last play'. Both of those 'plays' happened in regulation which resulted in the games going into overtime, so they really weren't the last play of those games, but still heartbreaking.

Reaction score
Thank You. This is a very pertinent topic because it is us fans, indeed that are the spirit of the Packers.
I think adambr2 you have just made the case for the Defense of the team while cross examining the Offense...
Judge. Let the people decide, I am confident they can see the big picture now.
The Defense rests

DMANDTM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing is tough, but there is a loser in every playoff game. We've lost some close games and lately seem to be stuck in a habitual habit of playoff letdowns. As a lifetime Cubs fan as well as Packers fan, I thought I already knew what disappointment was. This last loss is the NFL equivalent of the "Bartman Incident" and will haunt us for a long time. For me, the first 4 losses were mostly forgotten with the excitement of the new season, but I don't think that this will be the case in the fall.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because some other teams blew worse than the Packers did last Sunday doesn't make anything any better. I don't really care how many playoff games other teams have lost.

Like somebody else posted up it's THE WAY the Packers lost to Seattle that's both heartbreaking and inexcusable.

The game was in the bag for god's sake.

I'm not smart enough to know what the answers are to cure the astounding lack of killer instinct in this team. I think it has to be the coaching.

And no, I'm not a "bandwagon jumper". I've seen just about every Packer game since the day I was born (1959).

Just devastated by this loss.

Sorry for venting.

Shockwave

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are almost at the level of those Browns, Vikings, Bills, etc. We only have the 2010 SB to keep the MM era from falling that low.

But it's amazing how we've lost most of our playoff games this century - we almost always lose in some historic fashion or give up some ridiculous play.

* 4th and 26 (as mentioned many times before)
* First team to ever score 45 pts in a playoff game and lose. If Rodgers didn't overthrow a wide open Jennings, the facemask wouldn't have mattered.
* Hail mary to the Giants before the half. First 15-1 team to lose its first playoff game.
* First team to give up 200 rushing yards to a QB in the playoffs.
* Epic collapse to Seattle, including the first ever Hail mary 2-pt conversion.

Jay Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers under Cowher went 1-4 in AFC championship games AT HOME. And they lost a winnable Super Bowl against the Cowboys. Then Cowher finally won a championship game, on the road, and won a Super Bowl. And the team won again under Tomlin.

No one feels sorry for recent Steeler fans, but other teams have had bad runs. The Red Sox lost all those playoff games in a row, all that stuff. Then they won three World Series in a decade.

The OT record is something else though. 5 times, and the Pack has yet to get a FIRST DOWN! Plus two picks and a fumble returned for a TD. Guess Lombardi was right in going for the TD in the Ice Bowl, they had no chance in OT.

D

Deleted member 6794

We are almost at the level of those Browns, Vikings, Bills, etc. We only have the 2010 SB to keep the MM era from falling that low.

McCarthy has led the Packers to seven playoff berths during his nine year tenure. The Browns and Bills haven´t made the playoffs over that period with the Vikings going to the postseason three times. It´s ludicrous to even compare the Packers success in the MM era to these teams.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But it's amazing how we've lost most of our playoff games this century - we almost always lose in some historic fashion or give up some ridiculous play.

* 4th and 26 (as mentioned many times before)
* First team to ever score 45 pts in a playoff game and lose. If Rodgers didn't overthrow a wide open Jennings, the facemask wouldn't have mattered.
* Hail mary to the Giants before the half. First 15-1 team to lose its first playoff game.
* First team to give up 200 rushing yards to a QB in the playoffs.
* Epic collapse to Seattle, including the first ever Hail mary 2-pt conversion.

Come on... really?? My favorite is... "We ONLY have the 2010 SB" (I emphasize only there because it's so ridiculous to say we only have 1 SB). how many teams in the league can say they've won a SB in the last 15-20 years? I can tell you the Bills, Vikings, and Browns can's say that. Get some perspective here, jeez

H

HardRightEdge

For high drama over quantity, I think you have to look at the Raiders. They were victims of both the "Immaculate Reception" and the "Brady Tuck", two of the most memorable and controversial plays of the last 50 years.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has led the Packers to seven playoff berths during his nine year tenure. The Browns and Bills haven´t made the playoffs over that period with the Vikings going to the postseason three times. It´s ludicrous to even compare the Packers success in the MM era to these teams.

Obviously I was comparing the current MM era to the 80s Browns era and the early 90s Bills era and the 70s Vikings era.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously I was comparing the current MM era to the 80s Browns era and the early 90s Bills era and the 70s Vikings era.

They have won a combined zero Super Bowls though, I'm glad the Packers have won once in McCarthy's tenure. Would I be happy to win another one??? You betcha, but it's tough to win it.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score

This is way worse. I can't even imagine dealing with that if the packers were to make it to four straight and
not. win. one.
even two straight super bowl appearances without a win would hurt.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what other teams think of the Packers. They probably hope to face the Packers in the playoffs. Even the Cowboys probably think the only reason they lost to us was because of a stupid rule. We're like the Bengals of the NFC.

Members online

Latest posts