Has Adams overtaken Jordy as our #1 receiver? Where does Cobb fit?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams could be the primary target in a committee approach. But he's not a #1 outside WR in the same sense that Jordy was in his prime.

Cobb is a JAG now. The production since he signed the big contact is proof of such.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not counting the line? Sure...

But you can't hold on to the same players forever. Cobb will be 29 entering 2020. He's been oft injured. I think you'd be better off trying to find a good, young replacement this offseason and letting him walk.

29 is prime. I reckon he still has 2 more years under his best at prime. Or we'd perennially be rebuilding after 2nd contract.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
29 is prime. I reckon he still has 2 more years under his best at prime. Or we'd perennially be rebuilding after 2nd contract.

Well the good news is that he's under contract for nearly two years. But what will he be in his 29-33 years? I'm not sure they're best off paying for those years. If the price is right, that's fine. But I think they need to start looking for youth at the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did not say I wanted him gone, I think he will be gone... For money reasons, I just do not see him being in the offense more than 2 years...

The pattern of past years with this FO seems to indicate that almost all good players get 2nd contracts, but players need to be special to merit a 3rd. I don't think Cobb is special.

It's possible the Packers don't re-sign Cobb after his contract expires at the end of the 2018 season but you specifically mentioned that you don't believe him to be on the roster next year. I disagree with that assumption.

Cobb is a JAG now. The production since he signed the big contact is proof of such.

Cobb might not be the primary receiving option in the Packers offense during most games but he has been productive when being called upon this season. I agree he's definitely overpaid but there's no doubt #18 is still an important part of the team's passing offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's possible the Packers don't re-sign Cobb after his contract expires at the end of the 2018 season but you specifically mentioned that you don't believe him to be on the roster next year. I disagree with that assumption.

Who were you saying this to?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not counting the line? Sure...

But you can't hold on to the same players forever. Cobb will be 29 entering 2020. He's been oft injured. I think you'd be better off trying to find a good, young replacement this offseason and letting him walk.

Oft injured and really hasn't produced at a top level for some time now, unless he's willing to come back for a lot less he is gone after his current K runs out. Could they cut him entering next season? They honestly might.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oft injured and really hasn't produced at a top level for some time now, unless he's willing to come back for a lot less he is gone after his current K runs out. Could they cut him entering next season? They honestly might.

I wouldn't necessarily see the point in that unless they had designs on that cap space. And I don't really imagine that they'll want to spend so much that they need to free up more than they have already. But I do think next year will be his last as a Packer.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb might not be the primary receiving option in the Packers offense during most games but he has been productive when being called upon this season. I agree he's definitely overpaid but there's no doubt #18 is still an important part of the team's passing offense.
He's on pace for another 650 yard season, and is averaging under 10 YPC. The fact that they haven't attempted to restructure his contract is shocking.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's on pace for another 650 yard season, and is averaging under 10 YPC. The fact that they haven't attempted to restructure his contract is shocking.
First ... we have no idea what they have tried to so... Second I'm not all that shocked lol.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First ... we have no idea what they have tried to so... Second I'm not all that shocked lol.
The stupidity is the shocking part. Adams will be in line for a new contract next year, and he's been on a roster with a $10M guy who he will have outperformed for 2 years. You set yourself up for financial problems in the future by continuing to overpay for guys who clearly aren't worth it.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb had a good season, got his contract and then didn't stay at that level. Why the sudden belief that Adams will?

D

Deleted member 6794

Who were you saying this to?

Actually my reply was meant to be for Reggie White Cheese. I'm not sure how your post ended up being quoted in there.

The Packers don't seem to handle business that way though. Therefore I expect Cobb to be back for the 2018 season.

There's absolutely no doubt Cobb has underperformed since signing that huge contract extension in 2015. While it's mind-boggling the Packers haven't restructured his deal Thompson might have approached him about it though.

Adams will be in line for a new contract next year, and he's been on a roster with a $10M guy who he will have outperformed for 2 years. You set yourself up for financial problems in the future by continuing to overpay for guys who clearly aren't worth it.

A lot of players still on their rookie deals outperform veterans earning way more money than them around the league though. The Packers seem to be in good shape regarding the salary cap even while overpaying for Cobb and Matthews.

Cobb had a good season, got his contract and then didn't stay at that level. Why the sudden belief that Adams will?

Adams is a young, ascending player the Packers definitely have to re-sign next offseason. Unfortunately there's no guarantee he will continue to improve after signing a lucrative deal though.

Members online

Latest posts