Harris says he'll be at camp (but still wants more $$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=474542

Harris says he'll be at camp on time

But cornerback still wants more money

By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel

Posted: July 20, 2006

Al Harris has made a 180-degree change in his position and says he'll report on time when training camp begins next Friday. But that doesn't mean the disgruntled Green Bay Packers cornerback will be a happy camper.

Harris, who told the Journal Sentinel last month that he might hold out if the Packers didn't rework his contract, has in essence decided to give Green Bay more time. Harris now says if the Packers don't sweeten his deal by the end of the 2006 season, he'd like out of Green Bay.

No one among the Packers' management group has given Harris or agent Jack Bechta any assurances his contract will be enhanced. Harris signed a six-year, $18.635 million deal in September 2004 that is in effect through 2009.

"I don't want to make threats, and I told my agent, 'Let's just chill out and see what's what,' " Harris said Thursday. "But to me, if it's not done by a certain time, you have to look elsewhere.

"My whole thing is, if you play to a certain level, you should be rewarded. I think it will get done. It's just right now, (the Packers) have a lot on their plate."

So for now, Harris has a flight to Green Bay booked for Thursday morning, and he'll arrive later that day ready for work. After skipping the Packers' final minicamp and 14 voluntary practices in June, it will be the first time Harris has been with his teammates since early May.

"My thing man, honestly, is I don't want to be a distraction, and I refuse to be distracted myself," Harris said. "This will be a big year for me."

Harris was named a Pro Bowl alternate in 2005. For the most part, Harris' play has exceeded a contract that has paid him $7.25 million in bonuses and has remaining base salaries of $1.5 million this year, $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in '08 and $3 million in '09.

Harris, who was traded to Green Bay for a second-round draft choice in 2003, turns 32 in December and realizes that his window for financial reward is closing. So he has asked the Packers for two roster bonuses worth a combined $5 million, and Pro Bowl incentives totaling as much as $1.5 million.

Green Bay is $10.721 million below the National Football League's salary cap of $103.954 million. And since Andrew Brandt was promoted to vice president of player finance in 2001, the Packers have traditionally stayed well below the salary cap, in large part so they can do late-season contract extensions.

Brandt extended the contracts of center Mike Flanagan on Nov. 1, 2001; cornerback Mike McKenzie on Jan. 7, 2002; receiver Donald Driver on Nov. 25, 2002; and offensive tackle Mark Tauscher on Nov. 27, 2002. The benefit to the organization is the contract can be structured to eat up available cap space in the current season vs. future years.

Harris remains hopeful a similar contract will come his way later this season.

"I'm not going to hurt the cap at all," Harris said. "It just boils down to if (general manager) Ted (Thompson) feels I'm of that value or not. If he doesn't, we'll see who does think I'm worth it.

"I'm prepared to give the Packers every opportunity. But the clock's ticking. And when the time hits, I have to try my other avenues. But I really believe something will happen."

Harris also thinks he's ready for a big season, saying he's in "unbelievable" shape. Harris' body fat is in the 4% range, and he said he had lost 19 pounds in the last two weeks and weighed 187.

With free agent prize Charles Woodson on the other side, Harris figures to see far more action than he has the past two years when overmatched Ahmad Carroll started. Harris hopes to parlay that into a big year and an even bigger contract.

"I've been praying every night that I'll get more balls this year," Harris said. "I think it's going to be similar to when Mike (McKenzie) was on the other side. I just know whoever comes to Green Bay, every receiver that comes in will have to see me."

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm going to be a pain in the ***, but not till next year" is what I got from that. Good enough! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts