Harris Gets His Extension

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done." - Al Harris

I find this extremely interesting when compared to how Javon Walker claimed things went down for him.

I think Al handled this well. He let it be known he wanted compensation, he didn't let it interfere with his team or his game, then the staff took care of the rest.
Somewhat similar to what happened with Donald Driver.

This (in my opinion) enforces my belief that Walker forced himself out of GB, not Ted forcing him out.

Not defending Walker or bashing Thompson, but, just to play the devil's advocate, maybe Ted learned from any mistakes he might have made with Walker...

{edit: I typed this before I read aadp's post...}

How? Mind you I'm not defending either, I like Walker, he's my favorite WR, I like Ted, but the evidence shows Walker forced his way out of GB. I can't blame a GM for not giving into a 3rd year guy who had only one good year demanding more money. What's to learn?

He didn't redo Walker's contract, he played the following season.
He didn't redo Harris' contract, he played the following season.

The difference is Walker got injured and I feel had the mindset of '**** I knew it, i knew it, they ****** me over, **** the packers they cost me lots of money, i want out' instead of bucking down like a professional, regroup, play his *** off the following year after the injury and have faith the GM would take care of him.

I must be an idiot because I really don't see what he could learn from this.
Can anyone help out?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great news Driver and Harris both handled there situations like pros unlike cry baby Walker but he would still be here if he wouldnt have got hurt and had a good season

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since69 said:
Zero2Cool said:
"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done." - Al Harris

I find this extremely interesting when compared to how Javon Walker claimed things went down for him.

I think Al handled this well. He let it be known he wanted compensation, he didn't let it interfere with his team or his game, then the staff took care of the rest.
Somewhat similar to what happened with Donald Driver.

This (in my opinion) enforces my belief that Walker forced himself out of GB, not Ted forcing him out.

Not defending Walker or bashing Thompson, but, just to play the devil's advocate, maybe Ted learned from any mistakes he might have made with Walker...

{edit: I typed this before I read aadp's post...}

How? Mind you I'm not defending either, I like Walker, he's my favorite WR, I like Ted, but the evidence shows Walker forced his way out of GB. I can't blame a GM for not giving into a 3rd year guy who had only one good year demanding more money. What's to learn?

He didn't redo Walker's contract, he played the following season.
He didn't redo Harris' contract, he played the following season.

The difference is Walker got injured and I feel had the mindset of '**** I knew it, i knew it, they ****** me over, **** the packers they cost me lots of money, i want out' instead of bucking down like a professional, regroup, play his *** off the following year after the injury and have faith the GM would take care of him.

I must be an idiot because I really don't see what he could learn from this.
Can anyone help out?

Zero that does make sense about JWalk and how he felt after being hurt..

But MAYBE Ted took a step back and looked at the Al situation and recalled how he handled Walker...Then maybe he just thought this is a very good player and I want him to be here and not somewhere else..

Or since he is a good player, I want to take care of him NOW and not have him whine EVERY day b4 the season starts..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero that does make sense about JWalk and how he felt after being hurt..

But MAYBE Ted took a step back and looked at the Al situation and recalled how he handled Walker...Then maybe he just thought this is a very good player and I want him to be here and not somewhere else..

Or since he is a good player, I want to take care of him NOW and not have him whine EVERY day b4 the season starts..

Javon made it public he wanted more money after the 04 season. Ted didn't cave.
Al made it public he wanted more money after the 05 season. Ted didn't cave.

After the 05 season Javon said he wanted nothing to do with the Packers.
After the 06 season Al said he wanted to play in GB but would play where he was fairly compenstated.

Javon, traded.
Al, got new deal.

Both situations were handled the same. The players made the difference.

edit, per "But MAYBE Ted took a step back and looked at the Al situation and recalled how he handled Walker...Then maybe he just thought this is a very good player and I want him to be here and not somewhere else.." ... Brett said Javon was the only WR he has ever had on his team where all he had to do was throw it in his direction and Brett knew he'd come down with it.

Ted knew Javon was a good player as well.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As pointed out.......Walker stated he would NEVER play in GB again.
Harris said "I might not be here next year". BIG difference.
Walker would NOT be reasoned with, Harris wanted to be here and said so.
Harris wasn't an every down player before joining the Packers i believe. So he hasn't got the wear and tear that he would have had if he had been playing every down earlier in his career. I think he has alot left, just like Favre.

I have faith though that the "TT HATERS" will either ignore this signing, or find SOMETHING wrong with it. I have faith in them!!! :rotflmao:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is Gone. Accept it. Let's be relieved that Al Harris is here to stay. Keep in mind Harris is still pretty fresh. He's only been a full time starter since 2002 I think. That's only 4 years so he's still got a few more good years left in him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good move. I don't see Al declining (much) very soon.

I still say we need CB depth. Al\Chuck are getting old, and we don't have much of anything behind them, except "The Future" Patrick Dendy.

Lets hope this move is the first step in a successful offseason for the Packers.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good move. I don't see Al declining (much) very soon.

I still say we need CB depth. Al\Chuck are getting old, and we don't have much of anything behind them, except "The Future" Patrick Dendy.

Lets hope this move is the first step in a successful offseason for the Packers.

How about we go and sign Nate Clements, move Woodson to FS, Collins to SS and let the young ones fight it out for the nickel and dime positions. Woodson could always go to the slot receiver in nickel and Underwood can come in.

Sorry Tro, but Dendy doesn't warrant the kind of admiration from me as he does you. Did you hate Carroll that much?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Woodson wanted to go somewhere where he was going to be a CB, not a safety.
2. Al\Wood are too good to get a top tier CB like that this year. Depth is needed in my opinion.
3. My 'admiration' for Dendy is half-joking, but he has shown he can be pretty solid.

Also, lets not forget about Will Blackmon and what he might have to offer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
edit, per "But MAYBE Ted took a step back and looked at the Al situation and recalled how he handled Walker...Then maybe he just thought this is a very good player and I want him to be here and not somewhere else.." ... Brett said Javon was the only WR he has ever had on his team where all he had to do was throw it in his direction and Brett knew he'd come down with it.

And that is why he didnt want AL to go anywhere else like Walker did..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2. Al\Wood are too good to get a top tier CB like that this year. Depth is needed in my opinion.
3. My 'admiration' for Dendy is half-joking, but he has shown he can be pretty solid.

My concern is durability with AlWood, but our cupboards are hardly bare anymore in the secondary like in 2004. We have some good young players coming up. Gee, I wonder how that all happened? I haven't felt this good going into an off season in quite some time.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Brett returns now this. So far no reason to not keep the optimism we ended the season with. I think TT handled it just perfect giving Al more then a one year deal but not a long term one either. I see no reason why he can't be in his prime for the next 2 years but after that I think he'll start declining

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To quote Al Harris

I heard this on NFL Network.

"I wasn't looking for the big payday. I just wanted to feel appreciated."

I think that’s a nice way of putting it. The Packers are probably a Safety, DE, and a Nickel Back away from having a really complete Defense.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for a lot of guys it's about pride more then the actual money. If a guy holds out just cause he thinks he needs a bigger house I'll despise him but if a player like Harris grumbled last year I could actually see his point of view. I believe he was bothered a lot more by Woodson coming in and getting the big deal then actually just wanting more $. After being loyal to this team and just as valuable as Woody I don't blame him for being a little sore but I'm just happy it all worked out

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To quote Al Harris

I heard this on NFL Network.

"I wasn't looking for the big payday. I just wanted to feel appreciated."

I loved that. This to me seemed like Al wanting to be respected by the team that he's busted his tail for on a league-minimum salary.

Hearing about TT pulling him aside on the sidelines, that's awesome, too. I don't think that I've ever heard of an NFL GM doing that. This is beginning to cement my support of him as the Packers GM.

I think that we will make the playoffs this year, but we'll be Super Bowl threats in 08. This re-sign was huge.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

1, he came cuz of the money he said he'd play where ever the team needs him ... the interview is on this site

2, i agree

3, i think Dendy could have a good future... hes learning from two of the best ...

I think if we can get Nate without costing us any other FA, get him. If its between Nate and someone else I think we don't try for him.

Zero2Cool said:

And that is why he didnt want AL to go anywhere else like Walker did..

He did the same thing for Walker as he did Harris. The difference, Walker demanded to be traded after his injury where Harris trusted Ted.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
he did the same for walker as he did for harris? How?

plz read previous posts of mine in this thread. The difference was Walker got hurt demanded trade, Harris after the season got compenstated.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Wilde just reported it on ESPN Radio - two-year extension (through 2011) worth $4.5M plus incentives.

Excellent!! :jumpsmile:

That'll get Al Harris another year of payments on
his 10 mil plus house in Florida and his fleet of 2 mil cars and over
1mil in jewelry. He's got a Mercedes SLR McClaren(450k)
Rolls Royce Phantom(400k), Bentley GT (200k), etc etc.

Let's see 4.5 mil after tax is about 3 mil at best. I guess that covers
the cars and insurance and a little of the house. I think his original contract was 5 year 15 mil(which means he didn't buy his house in cash..is still makiing payments)

I wonder how he's going to afford all this stuff when his playing days
are over in about 3-4 years?

I only bring this up cuz I'm a mere mortal and would never be able to
afford it, but also am not crazy enough to spend a 5 yr 15 mil contract
as if it's coming for the rest of my life...

These guys not only take risks on the field, but in the pocketbook as well.

More power to them.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
This to me seemed like Al wanting to be respected by the team that he's busted his tail for on a league-minimum salary.

League minimum salary? No, he was making much more than that. But still not as much as his performance merited, at least not by NFL standards.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you think about it, it's really staggering. Most of these "underpaid" guys STILL make more per season playing a game then an average worker gets working their butts off for 15 years.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Zero may be right that Thompson treated Walker and Harris the same. But we will probably never know for sure. Important things often happen behind the scenes. I do think it's possible that Thompson mishandled the Walker situation.

Think of how, when Thompson had the press conference a couple weeks ago when Favre decided to play another season, a lot of people interpreted his low-key manner as meaning he didn't really want Favre back. It's not hard to imagine that if Javon Walker asked him about a contract extension and received a similar unemotional response, he may have felt like Thompson didn't really appreciate him as a player. Since Walker was coming off such a good season, this would have been surprising and somewhat insulting to him. (Also, Walker had been drafted by Sherman and may have been hoping for a vote of confidence from the new GM.)

If that's what happened, you could argue that it was Walker's fault for getting angry, and you may be right. But it could be partially Thompson's fault for allowing that to happen. Thompson is the leader of the franchise, and leaders need to communicate as clearly as possible. Maybe Thompson didn't.

I still think Walker acted like a *******, while Harris reined himself in a bit more. I'm just saying it's possible that Thompson did not deal with Walker as well as he could have.

Members online

Latest posts