Harris... a no show?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read on the Ben Maller site that Harris was not going to be attending these next practice sessions and it had to do with his contract.

I thought we had already been through this and that his previous absence had nothing to do with his contract.

It was posted with todays date so this was obviously either just now rumored or is fact.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I just read on the Ben Maller site that Harris was not going to be attending these next practice sessions and it had to do with his contract.

I thought we had already been through this and that his previous absence had nothing to do with his contract.

It was posted with todays date so this was obviously either just now rumored or is fact.

It is in today's WSJ Wisconsin State Journal link
Extra points:

Cornerback Al Harris, who skipped the last minicamp to demonstrate his unhappiness with his contract, said Tuesday night he will not attend the OTAs. ...

Also in the article is news on Cory Rodgers:

McCarthy said rookie wide receiver/kick returner Cory Rodgers, who was arrested last week on weapons charges after a bar fight in Fort Worth, Texas, will attend the OTAs. "I had a long visit with him (Tuesday)," McCarthy said. Rodgers, a fourth-round pick from TCU, faces misdemeanor charges of unlawfully carrying a firearm and unlawfully discharging a firearm.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,
I thought it was determined previously that he would not hold out with two years left and that his agent said it would be something they might explore at the end of this season.

I guess that was all just bogus stuff. Oh well, I guess it will all get worked out. Seems like he's really taking advantage of the situation though. You would think he would be looking at the Driver Vs. Walker situation and see the path to take that would get him what he wanted.

We just get the defense looking solid and he throws a punch to the ribs.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Harris...I don't remember if it was the previous camp, or portions of this camp (or OTAs, whatever it's called) but McCarthy said he was excused for some portion due to a family event/issue.

So, HOPEFULLY that is what this is about, but if not, damnit! He just signed a new contract extension w/in the last year, I believe, that many felt overpaid someone of his age.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warhawk--I posted on Al Harris topic that it was not a holdout by Al Harris because the last minicamp was not manditory, just as these OTA's are not manditory. So there will be no punishment given out to Al Harris for not being at either minicamp or OTA practices.

That was not to say Al Harris was not doing it, because he was unhappy at is contract. Al is unhappy because of Charles Woodson's large contract and Donald Driver just go a nice boost in his contract for '06.

As I remember the topic on Al Harris had do with it being called a holdout and the word was in in its title.

Probably just another way of trying to get more money, even though he just signed a contract a short time ago. I don't think he has much leverage and he is 31 years old. We will just see what develops over this and what Packer General Manager choose to do about this unhappy defensive back who still has a number years to go before his fullfills his contract with the Packers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OTA's arn't mandatory. Thats probably why he can stay away and technically not be holding out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate all these sites reporting this stuff and people buying into it. Until ESPN or NFL or the Green Bay media confirms (so listen to Havel and Gray at 4:00, I won't buy into this.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al harris and his agent said he isn't holding out, and that he "Isn't Mike McKenzie."

Although we would like Al to be there, they aren't mandatory.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect that Harris will be there come TC time and he will be ready to play at a top level.

He would be an ideal candidate to work out a contract extension similar to Driver's during the season. Of course that would be as long as he doesn't attempt to negotiate through the media.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Al harris and his agent said he isn't holding out, and that he "Isn't Mike McKenzie."

Although we would like Al to be there, they aren't mandatory.

I guess the question is if he's not there because he is not, in fact, happy with his contract, and not family matters or whatever, but is not planning on holding out, then what IS he doing?

I agree with cheese. Not being mandatory means it's not a hold out but not being there to show he's not happy with his contract when he has said he won't hold out makes no sense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I hate all these sites reporting this stuff and people buying into it. Until ESPN or NFL or the Green Bay media confirms (so listen to Havel and Gray at 4:00, I won't buy into this.

I agree, except the part about ESPN.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GP_1_Again said:
No way, I dont feel any Packer has the right to not show. At 4-12 they better get their jiggly butts to any practice thats available.

I feel the same way. These OTA's aren't mandatory, but McCarthy should make the players feel that they are... :wink: :wink:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

I agree, except the part about ESPN.

ehhh, about just ignore Michael Smith. :D

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone likes to blame the players or the GM for things like this happening, but IMO fans have no one to blame but themselves. This will never stop happening until fans say "enough is enough" and start staying away from games, quit buying NFL merchandise and turn off their TV sets.

Seeing as how that will never happen, it's best to just sit back, open your wallet and smile as you let let them take what they want.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will pay Harris during or after the season if he can handle all the action that comes his his way this year cause, and if, Woodson makes the opposition pay for thowing at Woodson. The last two years the everyone just said screw it and threw away from Harris because of the easy pickings on the other side. TT is smart enough to let this year play out with different circumstances and make a good decision as the year plays it's self out. My guess is Harris, being the bad *** he is, will prove himself and TT will pay him what he deserves and all will be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts