1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Harrell...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by packfan43084, Sep 8, 2007.

1. packfan43084

packfan43084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From the reports I've read, it looks like Justin Harrell will not activated on Sunday. How strange is this for a 1st round pick? I understand what TT was doing in taking the BPA, but I mean you would've thought that he would have taken someone who could make an impact.

I'm not hating on Harrell. I'm just saying that if indeed we are great depth wise on the D-Line, why not trade someone to make room for your 1st round pick? Just doesn't add up...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=658771

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Harrell isn't a regular first round pick.

1. He's coming off injury
    2. He plays at a position that's deeper than Paris Hilton's ----

It's not like Harrell is a #1 pick who plays TE and isn't dressing. THAT would be saying a lot about him. But...1 and 2 say a lot.

This year is a preparation year for him. He won't be ASKED to do a lot, let alone EXPECTED to(except by fans, I guess).

In 2-3 years and he hasn't cracked the starting lineup, yeah, Bust City.

Bustin Harrell (its catchy, aint it?)

3. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Paris Hilton's what? Go ahead Tromadz, fill in the blank!

4. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well it is good to see that the other players are doing so good in practice that TT and MM don't feel the need to force Harrell into the game.

5. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure he was going to say... bank account.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not meaning this to be a shot at the man, but if Sherman made the Harrell pick....Harrell would be starting Sunday.

(not meant to be a shot, i just read how sherm is doing well in texas, good for him)

(just sayin)

7. gator

gator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    One does have to wonder--if the position is SOOOOOO deep, why spend the first-round choice on it?? Especially for a guy who looks by all accounts to be somewhat of a project-or at least a serious question mark....

8. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's called drafting the Best Player Available.

9. gator

gator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Best player available?? a guy with a bad arm, no work ethic and a propensity toward caloric excess???

Whatever

10. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you think you can do better than our scouting team, maybe you should apply for a job at the Packers front office.

11. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lets get a poll started on who thinks Harrell will be good, mediocre or a bust.

12. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not really a big deal people... I don't know how you can even bring up the subject of him being a bust.

He hasn't even played a frickin' game yet. I hate Packer fans.

13. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    total bust.

so is Greg Jennings, i hear that guy is going to be exactly like Robert Ferguson.

14. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you hear that Harrell has no work ethic and eats too much? I read a lot about the Packers, and I have never heard this. I'd like to know your source.

Anyway, I do think Harrell was a questionable pick, and I'm disappointed that he's gotten off to a slow start, but as usual with draft picks, it will take a few years to really judge the pick fairly. What concerns me a little right now is that he was making some strides a few weeks into training camp, but then he tailed off toward the end. I was expecting steady improvement. Hopefully he will get settled in and work his way into the rotation by the end of the season, with bigger and better things to come in the future.

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    (Thousands of men have already TRIED to "fill in" that "blank!") :lol:

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats the way i look at it. If we had an immediate need there, then I'm SURE he would be playing. But what would be gained by throwing a rookie into the fire, when we have several players that are vets already to fill that role? Let Harrell learn from watching these guys, and later in the season let him play some.
    Plus, with the arm problem he had, it sure can't hurt giving him some more time to heal and strengthen the arm.
    It's WAY too early to label the guy good or bad. Gotta see him play first.
    There is nothing to judge him on yet.

17. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    nice response! BPA huh??!!
    so why is Harrell better than Olsen and Griffin, please explain your point of view on this!

18. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    here is the thing, why , if a team has glaring needs at several positions, and there are healthy players at these positions available, why does the GM select a injured player , at the deepest position on the team, when there are so many other slots to fill.?!

19. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    do you think Harrell was the BPA?

20. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ....so to speak.

21. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    this is just like a couple of years ago when everybody was freaking out because our #1 draft pick, Aaron Rodgers, wasn't starting.

22. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to hear Coach McCarthy say that Harrell is being asked to play at 320 pounds, which is 20 pounds more than the weight he played at in college.

I have to think that, mixed with coming off missing almost a year of football and then learning a new scheme have made Harrell's learning curve steeper than normal for rookies.

23. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Beat me to it. Seems like the want a Gilbert Brown player out of Harrell. I'm glad we don't have to start him, because as AADP commented, it might take a year for him to come in and get adjusted. I see it like taking a QB first round. You don't expect them (realistically) to play their first game and be amazing. It will take some time to mold Harrell and hopefully it pays off.

24. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Hypothetically speaking, if in the next 5 drafts, the BPA is a DT, do we draft a DT every draft? I just don't buy that you should draft the BPA regardless of need. We had too many other glaring needs to draft an injured DT.

25. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes. You can always trade a vet of lesser talent for another pick or needed position player.