Harrell hurt yet again !!!!

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Defensive tackle Justin Harrell’s lost season hit another bump this week when the Green Bay Packers’ medical staff decided to shut him down for at least a couple of days because of a nagging hip injury.

Like other injured players, Harrell will be tested Friday morning, and he hasn’t been ruled out for Sunday’s game at Jacksonville.

But given the minimal impact Harrell has made since his activation from the physically unable to perform list — and, really, since the Packers tabbed him with their No. 1 pick (16th overall) in the 2007 draft — the team might choose to exercise added caution, with an eye toward 2009.

“He’s never really been able to get healthy,” coach Mike McCarthy said of Harrell, who missed the season’s first seven games following two offseason back surgeries and has battled several minor injuries since he returned.

“His snaps have been limited, and I thought there was some progress in the pass rush part of it, and a little progress in the run blocking. Once again, he’s a young player that’s kind of going through a medical stage right now. We just have to keep working with him to get through it.”

Harrell’s back hasn’t been an issue since he underwent a procedure in August to remove fragments of the herniated disc surgeons shaved down in April. But after missing all offseason practices for the second straight year — the Packers were cautious with him as a rookie because he was coming off surgery to repair a ruptured biceps tendon — Harrell didn’t stand much chance for breaking out in half a season. He’s played roughly 30 percent of the snaps and recorded 13 tackles (seven solo) in six games.

He was solid for 14 of 15 snaps in his season debut on Nov. 2 at Tennessee, once getting off a double-team to drop Titans running back Chris Johnson for loss, but then failed to stay square and got cut on Johnson’s key run in overtime.

On Nov. 9 at Minnesota, Harrell played 22 snaps and had four tackles (two solo) for the second straight game. He sprained a knee in practice the following week but played 22 snaps again against Chicago, registering one solo tackle.

The past three games, coaches have used Harrell more often in passing situations, teaming him inside with Colin Cole against New Orleans (24 snaps), several players against Carolina (11) and Alfred Malone against Houston (19).

But Harrell didn’t press the pocket like he did in prior games and failed to pressure the quarterback even once, showing no more knack for pass rushing than he did at the University of Tennessee, where he had four sacks and 21 pressures in 35 career games.

Harrell said last week the knee and an elbow injury were hampering him, not mentioning the hip McCarthy on Wednesday said has bothered Harrell for weeks.

“Injuries are part of our game,” McCarthy said. “They’re frustrating for everybody involved. More importantly, I know they’re frustrating for the player. I’ve seen individuals go through this at different points in their career, and I think Justin is going through a rough patch with injuries.”

Harrell’s injury history goes back to Tennessee, where he missed time with leg, ankle and arm injuries. As a Packers rookie, he was inactive the first four games and later missed five with an ankle injury. But he finished strong, recording 21 tackles over the final four games and raising hopes he could make a major impact in his second season.

Those hopes took a hit when he showed up in less-than-optimal shape in March and hurt his back lifting weights, ruining his first full offseason in the Packers’ strength and conditioning program. Because of Harrell’s absence and other injuries on the line, starting defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly have played more snaps than coaches would like much of the season.

“He can’t help it — he’s just getting nicked up,” said Pickett, another former first-round pick who has missed less than half as many games in his eight seasons (seven) as Harrell has in two seasons (16).

“Thankfully, he’s not going to miss any games (because of the hip) or nothing like that, I don’t think. Take his time and just get his body right, man — that’s all I can tell him.”

Can you say bust !!!!!!! :no: :devil:

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got three letters for this offseason:

C-U-T

make room for someone who can at least stay on the field let alone play!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't know why TT would not only draft him 16th overall, but why would you base your defense around a guy who is unproven? Harrell has been a SERIOUS disappointment his first two years

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
I got three letters for this offseason:

C-U-T

make room for someone who can at least stay on the field let alone play!

100% agree! Harrell has become a proven leader on this team these last two seasons, too bad it's been as the Captain of the IR list!

Harrell's future is totally on him now; the kid DOES have some talent, but he doesn't have near the amount of discipline necessary to earn a starting role on an NFL team.

In the off season, if Harrell were to hire a personal trainer and LIVE in the gym, he could return to training camp better, stronger, faster and wouldn't cost us $6,000,000 in the bargain (Bionic man reference to you youngsters out there). If he goes home, invests heavily into the future earnings of his local McDonald's by purchasing stock in the Big Mac, and shows up to camp out of shape...well then he needs to go and TT should admit he made a mistake...

Latest posts