Hardest thing that honestly may make sense...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So seriously let's be bluntly honest with ourselves...if the trade deadline comes and goes and nothing happens then I'll sit back and embrace what we got and run with it. However, looking to the future...we cannot afford to keep Jennings, PERIOD. Would it not be possibly best thing to trade him while at the highest point in his career for a lot in return? After all if we can afford to lose any top player from any position group it's the WR core. I mean seriously you could easily pick up a 2nd if not a 1st along with some lower picks....would that not be better than watching him walk? I hate it but it makes sense. thoughts?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way we would get a 2nd/1st and later round picks would be if the Raiders were interested but seeing as I doubt they have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year I would be just fine with a mid to late 2nd round pick.

I was thinking about it and I hope the Redskins stay in contention for awhile because I see Dan Snider being the guy to trade a second for Jennings trying to give RGIII another receiving weapon.

If last night showed me anything though it's that the move I want TT to make first is to trade JJ for a low round pick to clear up some room to resign Jennings, but that might be wishful thinking because that still might not be enough to keep Jennings.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings would net the Packers a 3rd Round compensatory pick. It would probably be worth it to keep him this year, win the Super Bowl and get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Deebs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings would net the Packers a 3rd Round compensatory pick. It would probably be worth it to keep him this year, win the Super Bowl and get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

That's definitely true. A young talented receiver like Jennings would get a huge contract in free agency which, via the NFL's compensatory formula, would probably get the Pack a 3rd sound pick. Compare that to trying to trade him over the next few weeks, while teams are still leery of his concussion symptoms, and you probably would get a 3rd at best for him now. Better to keep him for the time being, get what performance you can, then enjoy the compensatory pick later

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense intended tynimiller but
1. Why not include the subject of your thread in the title of your thread, and
2. Why not add your OP to the existing thread on Jennings?

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/trade-greg-jennings.39042/

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/jennings-contract-question.38797/
1: Sorry, didn't know titling the thread as I did would frustrate anyone.
2: My bad, obviously didn't look through enough threads to see if one had been said. I had just read a new article on trading Jennings.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's definitely true. A young talented receiver like Jennings would get a huge contract in free agency which, via the NFL's compensatory formula, would probably get the Pack a 3rd sound pick. Compare that to trying to trade him over the next few weeks, while teams are still leery of his concussion symptoms, and you probably would get a 3rd at best for him now. Better to keep him for the time being, get what performance you can, then enjoy the compensatory pick later

You guys definitely bring up a good idea, I'd over looked. With the ability of TT to draft and develop + the depth at WR right now anyways makes this probable and possibly better than trading for sure.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is next yrs WR core going to look like? Locks are Cobb and Nelson.

Gone is Driver. Maybe jones and Jennings as well.

If you let Jennings go do you keep jones?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is next yrs WR core going to look like? Locks are Cobb and Nelson.

Gone is Driver. Maybe jones and Jennings as well.

If you let Jennings go do you keep jones?

I don't see Jones going anywhere...he's above average guy for pretty good value contract money wise that we can hold on to. Cobb and Nelson are the main future with Boykin Moss or another future youngster taking looks. Honestly if Jennings walks I could see Driver doing another one year deal.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So seriously let's be bluntly honest with ourselves...if the trade deadline comes and goes and nothing happens then I'll sit back and embrace what we got and run with it. However, looking to the future...we cannot afford to keep Jennings, PERIOD. Would it not be possibly best thing to trade him while at the highest point in his career for a lot in return? After all if we can afford to lose any top player from any position group it's the WR core. I mean seriously you could easily pick up a 2nd if not a 1st along with some lower picks....would that not be better than watching him walk? I hate it but it makes sense. thoughts?

If TT could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him, I'd say do it. But I don't think anyone is going to offer that kind of pick when they might be able to get him as a free agent. I think our comp pick would be a 4th, so I'd bet we'll keep him all season and see what happens after the season. I mean, we're Superbowl contenders. So in the end, I'd say the chances are less than 20% that he gets traded, UNLESS a solid left tackle is part of the trade. That might be a different story.

Members online

Latest posts