1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hank Williams Jr Quit Or Fired

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Forget Favre, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    I'm sure most of you are aware by now that MNF will no longer have that rocking MNF opening sung by Hank Williams Jr. Instead this week they will have Barry Sanders introduce MNF.
    Hank made some comments on Fox news regarding President Obama which ESPN did not find amusing.
    I'm still not sure of what he really meant and I don't need to have it explained.
    Regardless of what you think of Hank or Barry, without getting too political, what do you think of the situation?
    I think Hank, as well as anyone else, should have the freedom to say what they want without getting into trouble.
    I don't care for Hank because of his politics or music but I think he or any other entertainers should be able to speak without fear of consequence.

I realize that political discussions can be frowned upon here.
    So I hope it's safe enough to just ask what your general feelings are on this matter.
    Did ESPN do the right or the wrong thing?

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    He is a public figure that is associated with one of ESPNs flagship shows, and he made a statement that is offensive to many. Absolutely ESPN was right to fire him. If you value your job you shouldnt make public statements like that. Then again its not like anyone with Disney has ever made statements offensive to the jewish people before....

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I don't think he ever really got over Faith Hill taking over the intro song for MNF.

4. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I think it's absolute bullshit they pulled his song because he don't like Obama.

Come down South and ask people if they like the President. He is a piece of ****!!!!
    That **** he pulled on us with BP and the oil spill to screw people out of their BP money was enough to make the majority hate him down here. You can look that up too, there's hundreds of people that stopped getting their BP checks when they were out of work after President Obama put Fennberg in charge down here. They made sure the ones that got money in the end wasn't victims, but corporations, and most of all the government themselves.

That alone is one good reason to hate him.

Should a SPORTS NETWORK pull the plug on a song that's been on MNF for 20 years cause the guy don't like Obama?

NOPE!

Now if Hank was bitching and badmouthing ESPN, then they had every right to pull the plug I think. But just because he don't like that scum we have running this president, then that's a poor excuse. Obama's approval rating pretty much shows how offended you should get if you like him and your friend don't like him. He's not a very likable guy.

5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    I don't like Hank or the President (Even though I regretfully voted for him.)
    But more than that I don't like it when free speech gets the boot.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    But it didn't get the boot. Hank can say what he wants and ESPN can hire anyone they want. If he wants to work for ESPN, he has to mind the corporate tightrope. If he wants to give his political views, he has to be ready to accept the consequences. Personally, I think a big to do was made over a poor choice of analogies. PC police strike again.

• Like Like x 1