Halftime.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1-3 record of the Packers in the second quarter of the season is the worst of Mike McCarthy's tenure in Green Bay. The Packers have manged at least a .500 showing for the second section of the schedule in every other earlier season.

The current 4-4 record is the third time the Packers have been at .500 at the midpoint of a season under MM. They were 4-4 in 2008, when they finished 6-10 and out of the playoffs, and in 2009,when they ended up an 11-5 Wild Card playoff team.

The poorest midseason record McCarthy has had was a 3-5 in his first year in 2006.The Packers flipped that around in the second half as they finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs by one game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2016.htm

Hopes that the offense would return to its former efficiency after the drop-off in 2015 have been only partially realized. The Packers have moved up from their 23rd ranking last season to 16th this year. They are 11th in the league in scoring at 24.8 ppg, up slightly from last season's 23.0. But are within 2 ppg of the 5th ranked scoring team Indianapolis.

The Packers at the halfway point this year are 21st in passing yards (25th in '15), 28th in net yards per attempt (5.8) (31st at 5.7 in '15.)

As would be expected in view of the injuries to backs Eddie Lacy and James Starks the Packers in the first half of this season dropped in rushing ranking from 12th in 2015 to 19th in '16 but still have a slightly higher ypc average at 4.7 to 4.2 last year.

The Packers have scored on 43.2% of drives this season compared to 33.3 last year and have had drives ended by a turnover on 13.5% compared to 8.9 in '15.

The defense has also gone up in ranking from 15th in '15 to 7th in '16. But they are giving up more points (23.4ppg) than last season (20.2ppg.)

The Packer D is first against the run, giving up just 3.3ypc to the opposition. But they are 17th against the pass, giving up 6.9 yds. per net attempt. That's a reverse of last year when they were 6th in pass defense and 21st against the run.

On special teams the Packers are averaging 22.0 yds. on kick returns and 13.1 on punt returns. They are on average starting on their own 27.5 yd. line. They are allowing 8.8 yds. on punt returns against them and 31.8 on kickoffs and the opponent is enjoying an average starting position for their drives against the Pack on their own 30.

Where the Packers rank on offense with the rest of the league: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/
Where the Packers rank on defense with the rest of the league: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only stat that matters to me is wins and losses.

I guess the rest of those numbers reflect that in the Packers and their performance this year.
Sometimes though, a key number might be low and yet the team is doing really well in despite of that.
A lot of us, myself included, think its time for Mike to go and I think he should have before this season.
But I don't think he will. Seems like they want to keep on giving him a chance.
I just think no matter how the season ends, they are going to keep Mike around.
I will actually be shocked if he goes.

Sky King

Reaction score
...I just think no matter how the season ends, they are going to keep Mike around. I will actually be shocked if he goes.
You're probably correct. It may require a major failure over this upcoming half-season to cause thoughts of a termination to occur at the end of 2016 and that seems unlikely.

Based upon the results of the last 20 games, or so, it looks more like a gradual slide towards mediocrity is taking place rather than a fall off the cliff. How much more mediocrity will the fans, BOD and Murphy comfortably tolerate is the question. Somethings not right with this team at the moment and the status quo will not be acceptable indefinitely. Everyone from Thompson to the players and everyone in-between may need to engage in some sincere soul-searching. The groundskeepers, as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about damn time someone held the groundskeepers responsible for something.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about damn time someone held the groundskeepers responsible for something.
Can we get that dude from Rudy?
If he can do what he did for a shrimp like Rudy to finally get out there for his 15+ minutes of fame, then just imagine what he can do for the Pack.

Reaction score
As would be expected in view of the injuries to backs Eddie Lacy and James Starks the Packers in the first half of this season dropped in rushing ranking from 19th in 2015 to 12th in '16 but still have a slightly higher ypc average at 4.7 to 4.2 last year.
First Packerlifer, Thank you for the interesting stats I enjoyed this.
I just lost you in one area. Why would we expect injuries to better our rushing ranking? That sounded backwards did you mean "not expected" ?

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Packerlifer, Thank you for the interesting stats I enjoyed this.
I just lost you in one area. Why would we expect injuries to better our rushing ranking? That sounded backwards did you mean "not expected" ?

Part of it a typo, corrected. The rushing ranking in yardage is down from last season; as should be expected with the Lacy and Starks injuries. But the ypc is slightly higher so far, although that's with half a season not the full year yet.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/leaders.htm

Only 5 Packers rank in the top ten in major league categories for the first half of the season.

Aaron Rodgers is tied for third with Detroit's Matt Stafford for pass attempts (318), and 9th in completions (202). ARod is third with 20 TD passes. He's also 6th in the league with 6 fumbles.

Jordy Nelson is second in the NFL with 7 td receptions and Davante Adams is tied for third with 6.

Mason Crosby is tied for 10th in field goal percentage at 88.235%.

And Eddie Lacy is second in rushing yards per carry at 5.1.

http://totalpackers.com/2016/11/green-bay-packers-midseason-report-card/

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts