Ha-Ha Clinton Dix Overrated?

Who would be the best fit for the Packers Defense at Safety

• Total voters

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the main responsibility of a free safety isn´t to cover a specific receiver but to help out CBs and LBs over the top. While having some speed is essential to play the position the most important thing while playing FS is having great instincts. No player would be able to cover the entire field when being fooled by a QB constantly. So while Hyde should some promise as a rookie playing the slot (although he wasn´t great by any means) that doesn´t mean he would be able to translate into a solid FS.

Another thing nobody has brought up in that is that a FS actually makes all the calls in the secondary. With all the miscommunications that have happened in the Packers secondary over the last few seasons I really want to have a guy playing there who has already made that calls over a period of time.

It´s not about the 40 time at all. Straight line speed isn´t a good indicator in judging the potential of a FS.

Maybe we're talking at different purposes here. I'm not trying to claim that coverage is the sole responsibility of a free safety. I'm just saying that if you trust Hyde to cover a slot receiver one-on-one in the slot, then he's good enough in coverage for me to be comfortable with him covering receivers with help. The slot corner generally has to have good instincts because he's playing a position in which the receiver is generally going to get a two-way go (ie, you can't force the receiver a certain direction with the boundary as a secondary defender) and the corner has to be able to adjust to numerous route options. For me, it comes down to the fact that Packers are willing to let him cover slot receivers one-on-one, so helping a corner in coverage shouldn't be outside his capabilities.

As for the defensive calls, I completely agree that the deep safety should help on the defensive calls. I have no idea how well versed Hyde is in the defense and how well equipped he is to make those call. I WILL say that next year I would trust him more than any rookie to make those calls.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last rookie CB we threw in the slot on a terrible defense didn't do too bad. LOL seriously though, that's tough to argue, but you've still got to win your matchup. It could be argued that Hyde did not consistently.

He was a rookie. Not many rookies win all their matchups. Just look at Sam Shields. He's one of the highest paid corners in the NFL (whether you agree or not if he deserves it) and he didn't even really play as a rookie. You can't judge players on their rookie seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lamin Barrow would be a good pick at ILB in say the fourth round. He would challenge Hawk and Jones to start from day one.

Don´t like Barrow at all. He´s short, lacks bulk and isn´t fast for his size. In addition he loses contain on some plays and is sucked in by play action. Much of his college production didn´t come behind the line of scrimmage or close to it but downfield.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about Smallwood. What is his first name and school?

Yawin Smallwood out of Connceticut. He´s capable of being effective in coverage and vs. the run. He´s using his strength to disengage from blocks and is able to rush the QB as well.

He injured his hamstring though competing at the scouting combine and wasn´t able to perform at his pro day, so there is some medical risk to drafting him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe we're talking at different purposes here. I'm not trying to claim that coverage is the sole responsibility of a free safety. I'm just saying that if you trust Hyde to cover a slot receiver one-on-one in the slot, then he's good enough in coverage for me to be comfortable with him covering receivers with help. The slot corner generally has to have good instincts because he's playing a position in which the receiver is generally going to get a two-way go (ie, you can't force the receiver a certain direction with the boundary as a secondary defender) and the corner has to be able to adjust to numerous route options. For me, it comes down to the fact that Packers are willing to let him cover slot receivers one-on-one, so helping a corner in coverage shouldn't be outside his capabilities.

If you want to play a free safety single high that guy has to provide help over the top for all corners and linebackers, not just a single one, depending on where the ball is going. The position requires great instincts as a FS won´t be able to make up misdiagnosing a play with speed. In addition a good QB will try to mislead the FS on nearly every single passing play as well, so it takes a special talent set to play the position.

I´m not saying Hyde won´t be able to play the position, but I do have doubts as I haven´t seen him play there. Thompson shouldn´t rely solely on him being able to do it but at least bring in a backup plan at the draft.

As for the defensive calls, I completely agree that the deep safety should help on the defensive calls. I have no idea how well versed Hyde is in the defense and how well equipped he is to make those call. I WILL say that next year I would trust him more than any rookie to make those calls.

I´d rather trust a guy that has already made that calls for two years in a pro-style defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just look at Sam Shields. He's one of the highest paid corners in the NFL (whether you agree or not if he deserves it) and he didn't even really play as a rookie. You can't judge players on their rookie seasons.
I agree you can't judge players solely on their rookie seasons but some rookie seasons provide an indication of what is to come. Sam Shields is an example: Shields played a lot in his rookie season as the nickel back. He played in 14 of 16 regular season games, and started 6. He missed two games because of injury. He had 29 tackles, 6 passes defensed and 2 INTs in the regular season. He played in the four post season games and started two of them. Against the Bears in the NFC Championship game he had 2 INTs and a forced fumble. I remember a story that either Whitt or McCarthy asked Woodson about who should be the nickel back before the 2010 season and Woodson said something like, ‘I’d go with the rookie’. Anyway, not sure what or who you are thinking of, but Sam Shields really played as a rookie.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yawin Smallwood out of Connceticut. He´s capable of being effective in coverage and vs. the run. He´s using his strength to disengage from blocks and is able to rush the QB as well.

He injured his hamstring though competing at the scouting combine and wasn´t able to perform at his pro day, so there is some medical risk to drafting him.

I wouldn't throw the "injury concerns" on Smallwood just yet. He started every game last two seasons I think. How is that a medical risk? I know Packer players have had a history of hamstring problems but I wouldn't be to quick to throw him in there. I like Smallwood. He is solid all the way around and has a lot of good production behind him. He always seems to be around the football and he does well at getting off blocks. I think it comes down to what round you can get him in. If we don't get Mosley I would be happy with TT getting him if he is there at 85. IMO He is a nice "sleeper" pick and can play right away.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't throw the "injury concerns" on Smallwood just yet. He started every game last two seasons I think. How is that a medical risk? I know Packer players have had a history of hamstring problems but I wouldn't be to quick to throw him in there. I like Smallwood. He is solid all the way around and has a lot of good production behind him. He always seems to be around the football and he does well at getting off blocks. I think it comes down to what round you can get him in. If we don't get Mosley I would be happy with TT getting him if he is there at 85. IMO He is a nice "sleeper" pick and can play right away.

I would be fine with taking a gamble on him, but hamstring injuries worry me a lot with the Packers. I think it´s possible he´ll be there for our fourth round selection.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would be fine with taking a gamble on him, but hamstring injuries worry me a lot with the Packers. I think it´s possible he´ll be there for our fourth round selection.

Yes as middle linebackers tend to drop. Some experts putting second round value on him but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him there in 4th round. He is coming out as a junior too. Lot's of upside here.

Members online

Latest posts