Guys in rounds 3+ you would like to see GB take

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given we are all chomping at the bit to get to draft day, I figured it would be interesting to list some guys that you would like GB to draft in the 3-7 round range. I'll kick it off with a couple guys (using nfl.com for the bio):

1. WR Johnnie Lee Higgins, UTEP (6-0, 188, 4.29 40) - figures to go in round 4

Positives: Has a lean, angular frame, with minimal body fat … His strong legs let him break tackles and his explosiveness will generally see him win foot races in the open field … Demonstrates excellent athleticism for his position as few opposing defenders can mirror him on deep routes due to his speed … Has a sudden burst off the snap and maintains his stride throughout the routes, demonstrating superb balance, especially when working along the sidelines … Even with his blazing speed, do not confuse him for a sprinter, as he shows no hesitation going for the ball in traffic … Has a rapid running stride and quick feet and is very elusive after the catch … When Higgins gets a free lane, he is explosive coming off the snap, immediately getting into his routes … Shows the acceleration to stem on the route and the quick feet to explode down the sideline … Flashes very quick cutting ability to get in and out of his breaks, playing at a low pad level to generate even more speed in his stride … Especially effective on jailbreak screens, hitches and slants because of his ability to adjust to the ball and outrun coverage … Despite his angular frame, he played mostly in the slot and showed the ability to get a clean release due to his explosiveness … Best when executing cuts on inside routes, as he is effective locating and settling into the zone's soft areas … Quick to uncover working underneath and has improved his hand extension to catch away from his framework … Still a raw route runner, but compensates with his burst … Most people with his speed rely more on their burst to separate, but Higgins likes running up on the defensive back and then executing a sharp cut to break free … Does a fine job of stabbing and stemming to set up the defender and knows how to shift gears to change the pace in his running stride … Has a great feel for sticks, especially when working back to the ball, and plays with good instincts, keeping his feet in bounds when operating along the sideline … Will contort and sacrifice his body to get to the off-target passes, and even when he is caught in traffic, protecting the ball is his highest priority … With his track expertise as a jumper, Higgins has no problems getting vertical, even over the much taller defenders … Outstanding leaper who shows the proper timing to go up and get the ball at its high point … Dangerous open-field runner on returns, showing the cutting agility and second gear to elude … Has the field vision to instantly locate the crease and also shows patience waiting for blocks to develop on his returns … Does a nice job of reaching and snatching the ball without having to break stride.

Negatives: Must be more aggressive with his hands, as he struggles a bit vs. physical press coverage, but has the burst to recover … Earlier in his career, he would turn and eye the quarterback too long, resulting in taking soft angle cuts … His timing is a bit off when opponents get physical and try to jam and reroute him, but he has the moves to elude … For some reason, Higgins appears much quicker making cuts in a crowd than when working along the perimeter … Needs to continue improving his ability to get depth in his routes, but he is alert to pocket pressure and works back quickly to the ball … Can snatch the ball away from the body's frame, but will sometimes revert to body catches when working underneath (must improve consistency) … Will struggle at times when a defender is able to lock on and disrupt his route progression … When asked to block at the line of scrimmage, he is sometimes slow to fit and when this happens, he can be run over by the bull rusher … Has a good attitude and fights hard in the trenches, but just lacks the sand in his pants to face up with consistency when asked to block for the running game … Needs to field the ball more securely before heading up field on returns (two fumbles on punt returns in 2006).

Compares To: Joey Galloway, Tampa Bay Buccaneers … Even on the backside of his career, Galloway is a terror for defensive backs due to his explosive acceleration after the catch … Higgins is still working on getting better depth in his routes, but he has few peers with his pull-away burst to gain separation.

2. S Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State (6-3, 225, 4.44 40) - Third round

Positives: Has a defined, angular frame with the growth potential to add more bulk without any decrease in his impressive quickness … Possesses a V-shaped torso with a well-defined upper body, good bubble, developed calves and good chest thickness … Has the loose hips and sudden burst to close on the ball in a hurry and shows good body control in transition … Shows the nimble feet and excellent hand/eye coordination, along with the leaping ability to get fine elevation going up to get to the pass at its high point … Smart and instinctive enough to make the calls and handle the assignments in the secondary … Needs only minimal reps to retain and does a good job of taking the plays from the chalkboard to the playing field … His quickness and ability to take proper angles allows him to close on the ball and string plays wide in run support … Has the vision to make plays with his back to the ball, doing a nice job of looking the pass in over his shoulders … Displays quick feet to match up with almost any opponent and looks very natural turning and running to the ball … His speed allows him to cut off routes and stays in proper position by keeping his eyes on his assignment … Has excellent quickness and body control to keep tight on the receiver's hip … Keeps his feet under him and his body in control throughout transition breaks and has a low, smooth pedal … When Piscitelli stays low in his pads, he is quick to get into position to make the play … Has a good grasp of taking angles to close and explosive acceleration coming out of his breaks … Will frustrate a quarterback with the way he can anticipate the throw and his plant-and-drive agility is exceptional, as it lets him get a fine jump on the ball … Is so quick in transition that he doesn't even need to accelerate much to stay tight with the receiver on deep routes … For a player of his size, it is very impressive the way he can keep the plays in front of him, but it is mostly due to his quickness while maintaining body control … Is the type who knows how to ride up the receiver and use his arms to either deflect or catch the ball in flight … With his foot speed, size and playing strength, he can match up with the split ends and flankers on deep routes or out-muscle tight ends and backs going for the ball underneath … Has the hip swerve to adjust to the ball on the move and does a nice job of getting into position to make the play … With his strength, he is effective at interrupting the route's progression … Shows a good feel for the cutback lanes and has no problems taking down the runner once he locks on to the opponent.

Negatives: Has only average-sized hands, but does a fine job of extending and catching away from his frame … Knows how to keep plays in front of him, but you would hope that the coaching staff would utilize that quickness more by using him as a blitzer … Used to have a small hitch in his turn, which forced him to get his weight back and be on his heels some as a sophomore, but he recognized and corrected that problem, resulting in him allowing only eight catches in 2005 compared to 14 in 2004 … Has the size to take on the lead blockers, but must be more alert to chop blocks when working through trash (susceptible to low blocks) … Still needs to develop a better feel for double teams, but shows the vision to locate the support lanes and takes good angles to the ball … With his speed, you hope that one day the coaching staff will let him use that quickness more in backside pursuit … Gets into trouble when he dives or tries to make grab tackles … With his weight room strength, he should be more of a collision-type tackler, but he does use his speed well to make plays in space.

Compares To: Adam Archuleta, Washington … Piscitelli is faster and has much better range than Archuleta, but both do an excellent job of keeping plays in front of them. Piscitelli has natural hands for the interception and can play either safety position. With his effectiveness vs. the run, he could also see action as a linebacker in a Cover-2 scheme.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a believer that the Pack will take Piscatelli, don't know what round but this kid is a beast.
I would like to see them grab Lee Marana RB out of Michigan Tech in the 7th round.
He rewrote the record books at Div II Michigan Tech coming out of one of the strongest Div II conferences in the country this kid is a stud. Big fast and strong.
He played running back and linebacker in highschool and would be a deamon on special teams.
I doubt he will be drafted but he is the prototypical player that Ted likes to bring in as a nondrafted freeagent.
The other plus with him is, he was a state wrestling champ in high school.

Tough SOB!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A couple

TE - Scott Chandler, Iowa
QB - Palmer, UTEP
Late - FB-Jason Snelling,Virginia
LB-H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh
LB-Antwan Barnes-Florida International

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Garrett Wolfe, RB N. Illinois

Exactly who I want, he lead the NCAA in yards last year and other then his size I don't see to many downfalls on him.

That's what I've been thinking... if he were an average size back he'd probably be the top prospect coming out.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does Wolfe offer that we don't already have in morency. If we get a back, I'd rather he be someone that can handle the 20-25 carry load - not another scat back to throw back with the others we have.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why people don't think he is durable or able to take the work load, he hasn't been injured in college and has been extreamly productive as a starter. The only reason he isn't a first day prospect is because he is only 5'7. I think he would be amazing in the ZBS and would be very productive especially splitting carries with another bigger back like Morency.

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Wendling, safety from Wyoming.

Great football player and leader has size and speed to make it in the NFL. His only downside is that he hasn't faced top competition. But both Nick Collins and Darren Sharper didn't play against great competition in college. I want this guy, kind of reminds me of John Lynch with his tackling and aggressiveness.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why people don't think he is durable or able to take the work load, he hasn't been injured in college and has been extreamly productive as a starter. The only reason he isn't a first day prospect is because he is only 5'7. I think he would be amazing in the ZBS and would be very productive especially splitting carries with another bigger back like Morency.
Wolfe is 5-7, 175. That doesn't cut it in the NFL. Plus, Morency is hardly a "bigger back" at 5-9, 208. That's the normal "speed back" size - ie Willie Parker, Westbrook, Jones-Drew. Wolf is 30 pounds below the normal speed back size. Now, if he had played well against top college players like Dunn did, maybe I would take a flier (but he's 2 inches smaller than Dunn). There are bigger backs with better speed and good production i would rather focus on. There's too many things working against Wolfe.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
magic_8ball said:
John Wendling, safety from Wyoming.

Great football player and leader has size and speed to make it in the NFL. His only downside is that he hasn't faced top competition. But both Nick Collins and Darren Sharper didn't play against great competition in college. I want this guy, kind of reminds me of John Lynch with his tackling and aggressiveness.

Wendling would look great in GB. Maybe trade down in the second and get him?

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those upset we didn't get Olsen, here's a day 2 TE I like a lot.

Michael Allan
TE | (6'7", 255, 4.71) | WHITWORTH

Strengths: Is fast enough to work the seam and tracks the ball well. Shows adequate awareness and flashes the ability to locate soft spots against zone coverage. Played basketball, times jumps well and can catch the ball at the highest point. Uses frame to shield defenders from the ball, competitive and can make the tough catch in traffic. Focused, has strong hands and rarely drops balls that should catch. Can line up in the slot or out wide and is versatile. Runs hard, flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact and can be productive after the catch. Has adequate size and can comfortable add bulk to frame.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to reach top speed and is going to have a hard time getting behind the defense when gets slowed down at the line of scrimmage. Doesn't explode out of cuts and isn't a crisp short-to-intermediate route runner. Isn't going to make many defenders miss and isn't much of a homerun threat after the catch. Fails to deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Plays too high, lacks the lower body strength to drive defensive ends off the ball and should have some problems sustaining blocks. Played at a Division III school and there is some concern about ability to make the jump to the NFL.

Overall: Allen arrived at Whitworth as a wide receiver in 2002 and was redshirted. He then played in 25 contests in 2003, 2004, and 2005 amassing 65 receptions for 1,102 yards (17 average) and 20 touchdowns, earning first team All-NWC honors in 2004 and 2005. In 2006, he plays all 12 contests hauling in 53 passes for 1,100 yards (20.8 average) and nine touchdowns, garnering a first team Division III All-American accolade.

Allan lacks ideal explosiveness and is a marginal-at-best in line blocker but there's a lot to like about his blend of size, hands and top-end speed. He projects as a fourth or fifth round pick due to his developmental upside.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple

TE - Scott Chandler, Iowa
QB - Palmer, UTEP
Late - FB-Jason Snelling,Virginia
LB-H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh
LB-Antwan Barnes-Florida International

I like this list a lot (not only for scott Chandler)...maybe not Palmer he struggled with accuracy until his senior season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts