Guys, enjoy watching the SB knowing that

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Good luck figuring out the Saints' D. They are a bit of an enigma even for someone who has watched every game. Part of that is definitely due to injuries. When you have a stretch where 4 of 5 of your best corners were out, it's going to have an effect on the way the entire D plays. I think that is especially true for this G. Williams D, which puts a lot of stress on the CB's.

Beyond that, we have grown accustomed to the D allowing scores early and then adjusting later in the game. It's certainly not a good habit to have, but it is what it is. They do seem to make the plays and capture momentum at critical points in the game.

You may hear people talking about the Saints' D as smoke and mirrors. I don't know exactly what that means, but I do agree that we make up for a lack of true dominance with aggression and schemes. But that's not a bad thing, it's not like we had a choice between a truly dominating D and the one we have.

We made the improvements through personnel changes that we could, but there is only so much you can do in a season. We have made a HUGE upgrade in the secondary. That unit has gone from pathetic to a real strength.

From what I have noticed with this Saints D, they rely on 2 things and to win today IMO they need to do both. One is to create turnovers - that allows you to bend but not "break" and allows the Saint's machine-like offense to often put the opposition in position where they need to play catch up (or keep up) which leads to even more TOs. The second thing is that they play extremely physical - hitting hard, which gets into the head of the offense, wears them down and leads back to point #1, TOs.

With that offense they don't need a dominating defense. But the two units definitely feed off of one another.

OP
OP
morningwood

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are right on all points. When G. Williams came in, he said from day one that increasing takeaways was the top priority. The D goes through TO drills every practice. In training camp, the D was required to go after ANY loose ball, even when there had clearly been an incomplete pass. In short, this is no accident.

I also agree that we don't need a #1 D. We just need one that gives Brees a few more opportunities a game.

The D has also shown a knack for stepping up when the O has struggled.

Sorry, don't mean to come to your board and "gush," I just really appreciate what the team has been able to do. I know it's not perfect, but we are genuine contenders and that's more than this franchise has had for most of its history.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I think you are right on all points. When G. Williams came in, he said from day one that increasing takeaways was the top priority. The D goes through TO drills every practice. In training camp, the D was required to go after ANY loose ball, even when there had clearly been an incomplete pass. In short, this is no accident.

I also agree that we don't need a #1 D. We just need one that gives Brees a few more opportunities a game.

The D has also shown a knack for stepping up when the O has struggled.

Sorry, don't mean to come to your board and "gush," I just really appreciate what the team has been able to do. I know it's not perfect, but we are genuine contenders and that's more than this franchise has had for most of its history.
You deserve to gush - your team is great. And I'd rather listen to a Saints fan gush any day of the week than a delusional queen fan.

Your boys have a chance to carve a spot for themselves in the history books today. Few people remember who took second place - but championships are forever. I don't have a strong rooting interest in the game today - I don't dislike the Colts and Jim Caldwell is from Beloit, WI. But for all reasons I've already mentioned, if I had my choice I'd have the Saints win it. I really hope you guys pull it off for a franchise and city that has suffered a LOT. You guys invented the paper bag over the head bit - and that says a lot about what fans of your team has had to endure. You've come close but never THIS close. Again, best of luck to the Saints.

May it be a good game, may there be no serious injuries and may the best team win - and I hope the best team is wearing gold and black...

Holy hell will mardi gras be insane if the Saints bring home the Lombardi...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You deserve to gush - your team is great. And I'd rather listen to a Saints fan gush any day of the week than a delusional queen fan.

Your boys have a chance to carve a spot for themselves in the history books today. Few people remember who took second place - but championships are forever. I don't have a strong rooting interest in the game today - I don't dislike the Colts and Jim Caldwell is from Beloit, WI. But for all reasons I've already mentioned, if I had my choice I'd have the Saints win it. I really hope you guys pull it off for a franchise and city that has suffered a LOT. You guys invented the paper bag over the head bit - and that says a lot about what fans of your team has had to endure. You've come close but never THIS close. Again, best of luck to the Saints.

May it be a good game, may there be no serious injuries and may the best team win - and I hope the best team is wearing gold and black...

Holy hell will mardi gras be insane if the Saints bring home the Lombardi...
They only remember if you lose multiple times. :dwarf:

The Saints offense has to play the whole game today, not one half. If they only play one half of football the Colts will kill them.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
They only remember if you lose multiple times. :dwarf:

The Saints offense has to play the whole game today, not one half. If they only play one half of football the Colts will kill them.

I think that goes both ways. I can't really remember the last time a super bowl winner played like **** for a half.

What it comes down to is that I think the Colts win for one reason. Peyton Manning. The Saints' D thrives on turnovers and Manning isn't the guy who freaks out under pressure. Now, I hope like hell that the Saints win and I think they have a shot - but the Saints are gonna have to play a hell of a game to win because I do not think they can count on the Colts to play poorly. Do the Saints have it in them?

F'n aye right they do. Geuax Saints!!! If the Saints do win I think it will mean that both teams played well but the Saints just did a little bit more to win and IMO that would make it one of the best SBs of all time!

Members online

Latest posts