Gute's Pre Draft Press Conference

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made bad picks. Every single GM has done so. When it comes to drafting, TT was still very good at it, comparatively. Free agency, not so much. Gute is just using Ted where he wins.
Very good is a bit too much credit. Had he utilized FA, sure. But when you have Richard Rodgers as the starter for years, magazine salesmen as your starting DB s, and starting ILBs who are practice squad players or #4 or #5 on other teams, a WR converting to RB, you have a lot of holes that were not addressed in the draft, and those are what killed us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made bad picks. Every single GM has done so. When it comes to drafting, TT was still very good at it, comparatively. Free agency, not so much. Gute is just using Ted where he wins.
I would say he was pretty good at FA too, not too many decisions hurt us at all. not like they hurt other teams. I get the sentiment he could have used FA more, and I can understand the argument. In fact I think that way some too. But I don't allow for people to automatically assume using more would guarantee more super bowls. It could easily have sunk us for 2-3 years too. Brett Favre threw INT's, Rodgers held the ball too long, MM sometimes sticks with a gameplan too much, TT sometimes picked a guy who didn't pan out. I heard Babe Ruth even struck out a time or two :) All these guys were/are good at what they can do. I find it funny that because of people's frustration with Ted and FA, they act like he can't find good football players and hasn't done so better than a lot for a long time.

I only briefly skimmed it, since it was written on APRIL 21, 2009. That was way too early to start evaluating TT's ability to draft. Personally, I think TT hit on some decent players in the first half of his tenure, but had too many busts in the last half and we are now seeing a weaker roster because of it.

Ted built his scouting rep long before his GM stint in GB. Picking consistently later does have drawbacks and I don't think the number of "busts" weakened our roster as much injury did. There were a couple of not so good drafts that hurt. It wasn't all roses that's for sure, but his ability to find players was pretty good. and for every Datone Jones that didn't pan out there are David B's and Mike D's that have. I'm disappointed that guys like Datone didn't do more, because I think he should have. He had the physical skills to be better than he was, but just because he was a first rounder doesn't mean Ted sucked at Drafting when we also got Eddie Lacy, David BakhT, Tretter, Hyde, Barrington and Boyd in the same draft. Some excellent and some pretty good football players in that group. Until Lacy got lazy and boyd blew out an ankle, he was a decent rotational guy gotten in the 5th 6th round? not too shabby.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with Thompson having input into draft day decisions but over the past few years the Packers drafts were average at best.

I would say he was pretty good at FA too, not too many decisions hurt us at all.

It's true Thompson was pretty successful when signing free agents. Therefore it's absolutely mind-boggling he didn't use it more often.

Unfortunately his reluctancy for bringing in veterans as well as some lackluster draft classes during the second half of his tenure have left the Packers with a roster lacking talent and quality depth at several positions.

Latest posts