Gute's Pre Draft Press Conference

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some good stuff from this press conference. If you missed it and want to hear it, I hope this link continues to take you to it.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/988462860023029761

Figured with everything he said, a thread dedictated to discussion about it might be appropriate.

My first impression. A lot more information than we get from TT.

Speaking of TT, he will be in the draft war room and Gute said he may be leaning on him more than TT will be trying to get into Gute's ear.

Interesting comment on the question of a Pass Rusher VS a CB. Gute hinted that finding Big guys is a lot harder than small guys.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leaning on TT in the draft room? Great.. what could go wrong. TT going to show him how to draft a DB bust in the 1st round?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Leaning on TT in the draft room? Great.. what could go wrong. TT going to show him how to draft a DB bust in the 1st round?
Sounds like Gute has always been impressed with the way TT conducts the draft, just his calmness aspect when things get crazy. With TT in the scouting process and with all of his draft day experience, I personally think he is an asset in the draft room. I'm not too concerned with TT having too much say and think Gute is wanting to prove himself as being the GM with the final say on who is picked.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Big guys are harder to find than small guys" is the kind of oversimplified generalization that causes you to reach and miss out on quality starters. BUT, you can't believe anything GMs say leading up to the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody knows big athletic guys are more rare than smaller ones. Every team knows that. Just depends on how teams have them evaluated like always.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How dare he lean on a guy who built a Super Bowl winning roster. What an idiot!!!!!
But but but he is the only GM in history to draft a bust.

Funny how people wanted Wolf for GM because of his Dad. But Wolf senior had a worse 1st round record than TT despite having a higher average pick.
One guy. Demarious Randall in your opinion was a bust. A guy who may still blossom, who the Packers admit was not properly used and another team traded for him. Therefore TT is a bad judge of 1st round DBs? Is that correct? Please.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what a lot of fans are missing is that you're getting TT at his best doing what he does best. I think he was worn out with all the extra crap a GM has to deal with. Now he can play to his strength, doing nothing but what he loves- watch tape and evaluate talent. With his wealth of experience, Gute would be crazy not to take advantage of such a resource.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think what a lot of fans are missing is that you're getting TT at his best doing what he does best. I think he was worn out with all the extra crap a GM has to deal with. Now he can play to his strength, doing nothing but what he loves- watch tape and evaluate talent. With his wealth of experience, Gute would be crazy not to take advantage of such a resource.

Agreed. This is like moving out of the house at 18 and still letting your Dad pay for your dinner, but not deny you bringing a date or taking her back to your place after. Let the man do what he does best!

Reaction score
Sounds like Brian Gutekunst has a lot on his plate beginning a new position with the Pack.
Let's all step back, hold our breath, wait and see how all this will unfold.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Something Gute said during his presser had me thinking. He snuck in a comment that really wasn't that relevant to the question. It had to do with trading a player for picks during the draft and it doesn't happen that often. Was this a tip of his hand of something he may try to do during the draft?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed... I will however, admit to thinking that Gute could have said a few things to minimize the perception that there was any problem. Since he didn't do that... he left a lot to speculation.
Or stirred the pot even more without trying to. That might have led the press to the conclusion that there is a big disconnect between Gute and his players, since they are the ones making this a "big problem". I actually liked his answer, I think in some cases with the press, less is more.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something Gute said during his presser had me thinking. He snuck in a comment that really wasn't that relevant to the question. It had to do with trading a player for picks during the draft and it doesn't happen that often. Was this a tip of his hand of something he may try to do during the draft?
As I remember it that was in answer to a direct question regarding offers affecting the salary cap. ..He was just saying that wasn't very common.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just noticed all my posts, I think I need to lay off the Red Bull during the day. :geek:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I remember it that was in answer to a direct question regarding offers affecting the salary cap. ..He was just saying that wasn't very common.
Right, in regard to trading picks for picks during the draft, no real effect on the Salary cap. But then he slipped in the part about trading players. I may be reading more into it than there was, but with 12 picks and still in need of a few starters, I am fine if Gute parts with some picks along the way to obtain a starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

How dare he lean on a guy who built a Super Bowl winning roster. What an idiot!!!!!

There's no doubt Thompson didn't do as well in the draft over the past few years than early during his tenure as the team's general manager though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post #17

Just noticed all my posts, I think I need to lay off the Red Bull during the day. :geek:

Post #18

Right, in regard to trading picks for picks during the draft, no real effect on the Salary cap. But then he slipped in the part about trading players. I may be reading more into it than there was, but with 12 picks and still in need of a few starters, I am fine if Gute parts with some picks along the way to obtain a starter.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But but but he is the only GM in history to draft a bust.

Funny how people wanted Wolf for GM because of his Dad. But Wolf senior had a worse 1st round record than TT despite having a higher average pick.

One guy. Demarious Randall in your opinion was a bust. A guy who may still blossom, who the Packers admit was not properly used and another team traded for him. Therefore TT is a bad judge of 1st round DBs? Is that correct? Please.

FWIW, interesting article on Wolf vs, Thompson on draft day.......Draw your own conclusions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/159793-green-bays-wolf-vs-thompson-in-drafts

I'd have to give Ted the edge, but that's just me......

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FWIW, interesting article on Wolf vs, Thompson on draft day.......Draw your own conclusions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/159793-green-bays-wolf-vs-thompson-in-drafts

I'd have to give Ted the edge, but that's just me......

I only briefly skimmed it, since it was written on APRIL 21, 2009. That was way too early to start evaluating TT's ability to draft. Personally, I think TT hit on some decent players in the first half of his tenure, but had too many busts in the last half and we are now seeing a weaker roster because of it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Thompson didn't do as well in the draft over the past few years than early during his tenure as the team's general manager though.

He made bad picks. Every single GM has done so. When it comes to drafting, TT was still very good at it, comparatively. Free agency, not so much. Gute is just using Ted where he wins.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“To be honest with you, I’ve been kind of all consumed with the draft, so I haven’t had, really, hardly any discussions with our players since we kind of started,” Gutekunst said Monday during his pre-draft news conference. “I welcome them, but as far as -- I’ve certainly seen what’s been reported. Nobody has voiced any frustrations to me or anything like that. I always want to listen to any of our players, our coaches, our scouts.”

This is absurd. A GM doesn't have the time to address potential issues about the teams franchise QB? Seriously?

It's obvious that not all media articles can be discussed, but spending 30 mins on a quick call will go a lot in building relations. It may be a non-issue, but I'm surprised if people within the same team don't really talk to each other!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is absurd. A GM doesn't have the time to address potential issues about the teams franchise QB? Seriously?

It's obvious that not all media articles can be discussed, but spending 30 mins on a quick call will go a lot in building relations. It may be a non-issue, but I'm surprised if people within the same team don't really talk to each other!
Who wants to talk to work when you've got a hot new girlfriend to tour the world with? It isn't like AR12 was in town the whole while. And not like he or Gute were really concerned with a media built issue.

Members online

Latest posts