Gute has his work to do this offseason.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our new GM has really stepped into a situation that will determine the next couple years of ARod's prime years. There needs to be a re-tooling and rebuild at the same time.

I know Gute doesn't control if MM is still here next year and beyond, but the next coach really needs to be a major addition and change from what is there now. MM's offense was good for the 2000s, but has been replaced by more inventive and creative offenses that play to your strengths while making your weaknesses still be positive.

There are many roster changes that need to be looked at... CM3? Cobb? Bulaga? Do you cut Perry and eat his contract? Graham & Lewis? Wilkerson - Do you bring him back?

We have holes on the OL, Edge/OLB, safeties, TEs?, and maybe another WR.

Free Agency needs to be a home run... we really need to look at what is available and get starters at 1-3 positions to make our draft a little easier to fill in the holes. There are definitely players that could/would help out immediately. Fowler, Thomas, Barr, Barrett, and Clowney would be high on the list currently. Clowney will most likely not make it to FA anyways, but if he did.

The draft will again need to have some serious additions to our starters. Depending on what we do in free agency will obviously determine whom we draft, but we need to start adding to the offense with high profile players. We are starting to see the dilemma caused by poor defensive drafts that made us continue drafting failed defensive 1st and 2nd rounders. 3 picks in the top 50 should help out. Maybe Gute can do some magic and get a 4th pick in that top 50, but he will just have to make sure that he has draft similar to this year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I know Gute doesn't control if MM is still here next year and beyond, but the next coach really needs to be a major addition and change from what is there now.
Murphy is going to be the one that is going to have to sign off on the decision, but I think Gute’s evaluation and input will be considered in the decision. And if indeed McCarthy is let go, I feel that Gute will be given the authority to hire the next guy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We knew he'd have work to do before this season even started. I like that we're finding out what the young guys can do. I don't like that we can't seem to rely on some veterans out there to carry us thru. Seems like the team and coaching are heading towards a break up, but I'm still not buying this scheme excuse. It's too easy. 1st downs are there, more plays are there, guys are open. 5, 5 yard passes are as good as a 25 yard pass with 3 more misses and a punt. Plus it gives your defense a chance to rest. that's important when they're dropping like flies up front and on the back half.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We knew he'd have work to do before this season even started. I like that we're finding out what the young guys can do. I don't like that we can't seem to rely on some veterans out there to carry us thru. Seems like the team and coaching are heading towards a break up, but I'm still not buying this scheme excuse. It's too easy. 1st downs are there, more plays are there, guys are open. 5, 5 yard passes are as good as a 25 yard pass with 3 more misses and a punt. Plus it gives your defense a chance to rest. that's important when they're dropping like flies up front and on the back half.
Let’s assume you’re right about it not being the scheme and that it’s more a matter of lack of execution or whatever the case may be.

It doesn’t excuse the overall lack of discipline this team has shown throughout the year. It doesn’t excuse the many mental special teams blunders. It doesn’t excuse the decisions that McCarthy made late in the game last night.

Regardless of the offensive struggles, the head coach is a major dud right now. If we cannot rely on him to make the correct decisions in week 11, what happens when we’re in a 1 possession game in a championship game?

11 weeks in, and we’re no further along than where we were in week 1. Take a look at the 2nd half of the Bears game. One could argue that was the best stretch of football the team played all year. What happened?

McCarthy has to be held accountable. And I know you aren’t absolving him completely. I’m moreso illustrating a bigger scale point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not, at this point the discipline etc are all issues. I forgave some of it early because it was early. It should be cleaned up by now. But then I see the ST holding call and i'm like, "what?" that's a penalty these days? there was far more holding on the ensuing Seattle drive by the WR near the endzone. those are every single play in the nfl. anyway, i'm still pissed about the non replay and then I think, they overturned the previous non catch on replay so what are the chances they really rule against Seattle?

Members online