Gurley's Roster Chances Dwindling

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I was hoping Driver would retire this year. We are going to lose either Borel or Gurley now and it would of been nice to keep both of them. Odds are one of them would have made a big jump in performance from the competition between them for the 5th spot. That is gone, now 1 person will be in the 6th role not doing much but sitting on a bench and hoping for an injury (no competition) while the other is on another team. It's not like Driver will be that much more productive than Borel and Gurley.

Very disappointed, that height could have been useful.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great sig, Jordyruns!

I love all our receivers and I believe in James Jones more than most of you. I mean he produced some great stuff for us in the 2010 Super Bowl, and run to it. I know he had drops, but he made plays too... plays that nobody else made vs the Giants in the meltdown.

But I really don't understand why we couldn't get at least a 3rd round pick for him. He was drafted in that round, and he's produced better than that level.
He'd start for the Rams, Jags, Seahawks, etc.

That would allow us to keep Gurley and Borel probably.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and here is the problem with reporters in camp and internet forums. How can any of us realistically talk about someone's roster chances dwindling? WE HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED ONE PRESEASON GAME. Everyone relax, start your grill, rip the top off of a beer, and enjoy some relatively meaningless football tonight. I guarantee that Gurley and everyone else still has a great opportunity to make the roster, no matter what a bunch of hacks wrote in order to meet some deadlines with their respective papers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From an only on field perspective, I have no clue why we kept Driver.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me among the ones who thinks we shouldn't keep Driver over a promising young receiver. It's a bit puzzling to me since Thompson has always taken youth over age when assembling his roster. Time moves on and so should Driver.

Odysseus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We always seem to fall into the same old trap. The guy on the bench is better or has more POTENTIAL than the proven veteran. I too like these young receivers and hope we are able to hold onto them but I know this for a fact. Donald Driver is a proven, gifted, talented, gutsy end who has given his all, on and off the field, to the Packer organization and the fans. If our season depends on one throw over the middle, I'd throw it to Driver. Until he shows otherwise, I'll stand with Donald Driver.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I was all in on Gurley being the one they kept but it seems that Borel has really made a jump. Sorry Tori, I'm a Packer fan, gotta go with what works. I was hoping he'd stick and block some punts. We'll see how the preseason shakes out.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
That isn't a good reason. You can't let setiment get involved with putting the 53 best players on the field or interfere with your future betterment.
It's also not my sentiment, it was a joke to Ivo. In another post I was shocked to find out people considered DD a HOF candidate. I really do love DD but the game has changed. I used to be sentimental about players but it's the final product nowadays. I want to see more championships than pats on the back to contributors.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also not my sentiment, it was a joke to Ivo. In another post I was shocked to find out people considered DD a HOF candidate. I really do love DD but the game has changed. I used to be sentimental about players but it's the final product nowadays. I want to see more championships than pats on the back to contributors.

Ok sorry I didn't get it! ;)

Warming up on a few beers here. :laugh:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I hope the beers get the chit taste out of my mouth from last January! :(
This season should do it 13. I'm stoked for this team. Every team improves from the draft supposedly but some are better than others and it seems TT has his finger on the pulse. The first game will tell it all. I want to see them pound the 9ers into oblivion and then I can relax through the rest of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I never got the Gurleymania. Last preseason the guy looked slow off the line and slow out of breaks for a WR. The way Flowers stepped in front of his break for the pick in the KC preseason game was telling.

My best argument for Gurley last season was that he could work out to be an undersized pass-catching tight end, running Finley-type routes out of the slot. He might have agreed coming into camp at 235. The added weight may have come with a price, losing quickness he didn't have in spades to start with. I couldn't say for sure...I've not seen him this year.

It's still early. The point of camp and preseason is to evaluate talent and get to the final roster and practice squad. Guys you see on the field may be there to make the case they should be worth keeping through the first cut.

Even if Gurley makes the squad, he won't see the ball. There are 5 1/2 WRs in front of him...Finley gets the 1/2 since he plays slot or split wide on 50% of his snaps

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts